Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: What will the Tkachuk hearing result be?
No discipine 57 14.29%
Fine 175 43.86%
1 game 123 30.83%
2 games 37 9.27%
3 games 3 0.75%
4 or more games 4 1.00%
Voters: 399. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 06:04 AM   #21
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looks to me like some old time hockey boys. But usually it's the vet giving it to the rook.
Still a penalty though... amazing what the refs miss with their eyes all wideopenman.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:04 AM   #22
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

TSN has a video up with Craig Button talking about it. He doesn't think the elbow actually made contact (it looks more like shoulder or upper arm) and says it could have been called for Interference. He also wouldn't be surprised if there is supplementary discipline for contact to the head.

The league usually takes the extent of the injury into account and Doughty didn't suffer any apparent injury on the play. He had the most ice time of any player in the game, almost 6 minutes more than Gio, who was second.

Because there was seemingly no injury, I suspect it will be a fine if anything...Of course, it's the NHL's wheel of justice, so who knows?
Old 03-20-2017, 06:53 AM   #23
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Watch Tkachuk before every check he sees coming and he immediately turns like that. I don't know why he does it as it makes me nervous for him but this is how he protects the puck and or gets the puck away.

Doughty really really really deserves an Oscar for that dive ....Wow he sucked allot of people in ....But man that was allot of suck.

I love Doughty and have for years but that was wow.... Not an elbow.
I slowed that down and researched it from one angle mind you and I see a shoulder to the head and he jumps but no elbow.

If that 1 hit is making people cringe then I guess maybe Tkachuk isn't for you. He's going to be here a long time with his style of play so get used to it.
He's not dirty. We just haven't had a player like him since maybe Ville Neimenen? Not afraid to stick his nose in or hit someone who everyone is afraid to .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 07:00 AM   #24
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

He tried to stop doughty dead in his tracks and that lumber jack had his head down and got caught. Was it intent to injure? Give me a ####ing break...
The Following User Says Thank You to skudr248 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 07:02 AM   #25
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

To me it looks like he is bracing for impact and his elbow gets into Doughty's face. It probably deserved at 2 minute penalty, but I don't see intent to injure.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:04 AM   #26
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

He was just trying to throw his weight into Doughty, the elbow was incidental.

Brown did the same thing to Gio later in the game, there was just less contact to Gio's head.

This is really a non-issue being blown out of proportion for whatever reason. It was a 2 minute penalty at most, the refs missed it so the game goes on.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:08 AM   #27
rooster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Absolutely loved it!!! We need Ferland and more guys to play with an edge like Tkachuk does.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:09 AM   #28
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't even say the refs missed it.

It would have been impossible for the refs to not see the play . The refs determined it wasn't a penalty. Both of them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 07:12 AM   #29
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
If your a Kingd fan and bitch about the Tkachuk's play you need to examine Pearsons hit on Him right after.
Nah, they are full on pretending that never happened.

Can't see Tkachuk getting away without at least a fine, mostly for accumulation of these little incidents. Based off past history though, anything more than a one game suspension would be a joke.

Regardless, the Flames badly need to train these little moves out of him. He plays like a miserable bastard, and that means he's going to put a toe across the line from time to time, but it is happening far too often.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:14 AM   #30
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh man,

based on the last few posts, this is going to be one homeriffic thread. Dirty play is dirty. Consider how you would feel if that play happened to Gaudreau instead.

Edit: Not including resolute's post.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 07:18 AM   #31
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would have been pissed if that was a King elbowing Gaudreau to his face like that. It's a dirty play. I like the way Tkachuk plays but he needs to be a little smarter than this as an elbow to the head is a dangerous play.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 07:24 AM   #32
TheKurgan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

So we finally have a player who plays with and edge and gets under the skin of the other teams best players and we are upset about this?

I can't wait to see this kid in the playoffs
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheKurgan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 07:26 AM   #33
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Oh man,

based on the last few posts, this is going to be one homeriffic thread. Dirty play is dirty. Consider how you would feel if that play happened to Gaudreau instead.

Edit: Not including resolute's post.
Well this isn't a great example because Gaudreau doesn't try and hit, and he is short...

I wasn't mad when Brown did it to Gio, but then I also don't view it ask Tkachuk trying to elbow him. This play happens a lot, when the player trying to protect the puck throws his weight back into the attacking player.

Accidental elbow, 2 minute penalty.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:27 AM   #34
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My take for what it's worth.

It was a shoulder shrug, and yes, while his shoulder hit Doughty in the face, Doughty sold that hard. Both were battling leading up to that (and have history battling in the past games). Doughty pretty much said that he knows of Tkachuk's rep in the post game comments, and said he was trying to get under Tkachuk's skin. So what do 2 guys who like to walk that line do? Do whatever they can to get under each other's skin. So while I don't condone Tkachuk hitting Doughty in the head, I'm pretty sure it wasn't intentional to hit him in the head. The fact that Doughty came back fine and played after, should indicate he is perfectly fine and no worse for wear.

I've been on both ends of a play like that, in very similar situations (both trying to get under each other's skin), and when I was on the receiving end, I definitely sold it a bit to try to get a call. And when I was on the giving end, it was always the intention to give a shoulder shrug, to get the guy off my back, and make him think twice about coming at me hard.

In all honesty in my opion, while it wasn't a 'clean' hit, it doesn't demand supplemental discipline. I'm a bit old school with my thoughts on hockey, but someone on that team should have challenged Tkachuk to own up to it. That would have been good enough.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:28 AM   #35
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by debil View Post
Too bad it was not McDavid's head.
stay classy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 07:28 AM   #36
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Can we trade him?
Old 03-20-2017, 07:29 AM   #37
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Nah, they are full on pretending that never happened.

Can't see Tkachuk getting away without at least a fine, mostly for accumulation of these little incidents. Based off past history though, anything more than a one game suspension would be a joke.

Regardless, the Flames badly need to train these little moves out of him. He plays like a miserable bastard, and that means he's going to put a toe across the line from time to time, but it is happening far too often.
The league hasn't given him any supplemental discipline (if I remember correct), so in theory he isn't a previous offender in the leagues eyes.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:31 AM   #38
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I would have been pissed if that was a King elbowing Gaudreau to his face like that. It's a dirty play. I like the way Tkachuk plays but he needs to be a little smarter than this as an elbow to the head is a dangerous play.
wondering if CsInMyBlood will come here to tell us that he's a dirty rat no better than Ryan Smyth. lol
Old 03-20-2017, 07:32 AM   #39
Saint Troy
First Line Centre

Exp:

It was a reverse hit attempt that he mistimed, guaranteed he'll be earning himself a little space from D men around the league.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saint Troy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 07:42 AM   #40
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforcup View Post
Theres a difference between a tough guy but clean like Ferland (Nobody has touched Gaudreau since Ferland came on his line) compared to dirty hits like a Matt Cooke or Marchand (Not saying Tkachuk is that bad right now btw).
For the record, I don't mind Tkachuk playing a bit dirty the way he's been most of the season. It's part of what makes him so effective.

What I'm worried about is that it might get worse. Most dirty players get dirtier with experience. I never want to see a Matt Cooke -like player in a Flames jersey.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread