Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-31-2016, 03:30 PM   #41
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Actually half cut means you're drunk.
I stand corrected. I will no longer use half cut as a way of describing half drunk.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:39 PM   #42
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
I stand corrected. I will no longer use half cut as a way of describing half drunk.
Yeah, I only posted it half jokingly. It seems like it would be exactly what you described it as but I guess not, lol.

But thinking about it now most people that say they are half cut are drunk, I don't think I've ever heard a person drink three or four beers and say that.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2016, 03:54 PM   #43
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I totally don't care if you think I'm out of line. 0.06 is enough to get your car impounded without appeal in Alberta.

Impairment begins at less than 0.08 for most people. The fact that so many people like to hang their hat on being under 0.08 is such garbage. What do you think half cut means? Halfway to the legal limit. D'uh. Why is it so hard to understand that being a responsible adult takes planning sometimes?

I get that it hurts your feely feels to speak ill of the dead but let's not forget that this crash was totally avoidable because boats, booze and cocaine don't mix unless your boat has a sober captain.
Trust me, my feelings aren't hurt at all. I just think you're way up there on Mt. Pious.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:00 PM   #44
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Trust me, my feelings aren't hurt at all. I just think you're way up there on Mt. Pious.
Nope, I'm not religious nor am I likely to drive after drinking. I'm not holier than thou; I just can't figure out how so many haven't connected the dots on something so obvious and it bothers me. If one chooses to ignore inconvenient things about drinking and driving/boating then that makes one selfish.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:29 PM   #45
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The guys were drinking, at least one of them was doing hard drugs, and decided to get into a vehicle where they sped and drove recklessly. It's a tragedy, it's unfortunate, but it was selfish and easily avoidable. Chastising that type of behavour is the the responsible thing to do.

Anyone who has lost loved ones because of the actions of selfish individuals like the driver of the boat, and arguably the passengers, knows the severe consequences of the actions that these men did. We're just lucky that no random boat or person was hit.

The "oh gee willikers, it could have happened to anyone" that was more or less brought up by someone else is terrible. No, responsible people do not put their lives and other people's lives in danger after drinking and driving recklessly with a vehicle. Only #######s do.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2016, 05:09 PM   #46
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
The guys were drinking, at least one of them was doing hard drugs, and decided to get into a vehicle where they sped and drove recklessly. It's a tragedy, it's unfortunate, but it was selfish and easily avoidable. Chastising that type of behavour is the the responsible thing to do.

Anyone who has lost loved ones because of the actions of selfish individuals like the driver of the boat, and arguably the passengers, knows the severe consequences of the actions that these men did. We're just lucky that no random boat or person was hit.

The "oh gee willikers, it could have happened to anyone" that was more or less brought up by someone else is terrible. No, responsible people do not put their lives and other people's lives in danger after drinking and driving recklessly with a vehicle. Only #######s do.
But Jofer wasn't driving. The two people who may have been were under the legal limit. Are you suggesting that if you and your wife go out to dinner and have a couple of drinks, drive home and get into an accident you are being irresponsible?

Why not advocate for prohibition then?
Old 10-31-2016, 09:05 PM   #47
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But Jofer wasn't driving. The two people who may have been were under the legal limit. Are you suggesting that if you and your wife go out to dinner and have a couple of drinks, drive home and get into an accident you are being irresponsible?

I've mentioned it in both my posts. They were driving recklessly and speeding according to the state attorney. So yes, if my wife had a half glass of wine and then sped down the residential street going 150 km/hr and hit some child, she would be irresponsible. I do not see any form of counterargument to that situation.

They could have been completely sober, that would not change my stance. If they drive recklessly, putting others at risk, they are selfish, irresponsible, #######s and if there was to be an accident, we can only be thankful no other random innocent person was hurt.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:13 PM   #48
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't know where prohibition comes in, but if you have a few drinks and do a couple lines and take the boat out for a spin in the dark and everyone on the boat ends up dead, it's pretty obvious that someone did something irresponsible.

I'm kind of surprised this is up for debate.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2016, 10:13 PM   #49
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

The coke and the alcohol cancel each other out?
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:28 PM   #50
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
The coke and the alcohol cancel each other out?
That's the terrible theory.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:39 AM   #51
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, if you read the story, there were other people there that night pleading with him not to go out so it would seem like some people that he was too intoxicated to go out.

It kind of ruins the angle of him being a good wholesome kid. Still every tragic though.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:20 AM   #52
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Thumbs down

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...138834953.html

Quote:
MARCH 16, 2017 8:46 AM
Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez to blame for fatal boating crash, investigation concludes

BY DAVID OVALLE
dovalle@miamiherald.com

Miami Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez – drunk, high on cocaine and speeding – was behind the wheel and to blame when his boat plowed into a jetty off South Beach, killing two others, police concluded in a report released Thursday.

Had Fernandez lived, he would likely have been charged with a host of crimes including manslaughter, according to the final report by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

Investigators made the conclusion because the physical damage to Fernandez’s body matched the damage on the boat’s center console. His DNA was also found on the throttle and steering wheel.

The boat, investigators concluded, was traveling at more than 65 miles per hour, the top speed of the vessel.

“Fernandez operated [the boat] with his normal faculties impaired, in a reckless manner, at an extreme high rate of speed, in the darkness of the night, in an area with known navigational hazards such as rock jetties and channel markers,” the report concluded.

The release of the report comes nearly six months after Fernandez and two others were killed when the pitcher’s boat plowed into a jetty at Government Cut off South Beach before dawn on Sept. 25. Two others on the boat with him, Emilio Jesus Macias, 27, and Eduardo Rivero, 25, also were killed.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 09:22 AM   #53
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

What? I thought he was an angel and not some coked up jerk who got his friends killed. Shocking.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:52 PM   #54
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
What? I thought he was an angel and not some coked up jerk who got his friends killed. Shocking.
Marlin, not Angel.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 01:56 PM   #55
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Marlin, not Angel.
I lol'd, and i'm going to hell for it.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote