Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:
Thumbs down Broadcast Flag prevents PVR use on some NBC shows

Quote:
Earlier this month, some fans of the NBC television programs American Gladiators and Medium found themselves unable to digitally record the shows on their personal computers. The reason for the blocked recordings raises important technical and legal questions about the rights of consumers to "time shift" television programs in the digital era.

The blocked recordings affected people that record television programs on their personal computers using the Microsoft Windows Vista Media Centre. Most people are unaware that Microsoft has inserted a feature that allows a broadcaster or content owner to stop the digital recording of a show by triggering a "broadcast flag" that specifies its preference the show not be recorded. When the user tries to record it, Microsoft's software recognizes the flag and issues a warning that the program cannot be recorded.
http://www.thestar.com/article/429825

I wonder how many people realize how many controls like this are already in place and just waiting to be activated?

Quote:
Digital cable boxes used by companies such as Rogers and Shaw include a CableCard that allows users to watch and record digital television shows. The CableCards feature functionality (technically known as CGMS-A) that allows broadcasters and cable companies to establish limits on recording programs.
And it sounds like Canadian Broadcasters want to block recording:
Quote:
The Canadian Association of Broadcasters recently told the CRTC that consumers who record television shows for later viewing, whether on a VCR or PVR, violate the law.
It seems like Digital Rights Management is going to become more and more a part of every day life.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti

Last edited by Bobblehead; 05-28-2008 at 02:25 PM. Reason: spelling mistake in title
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not surprised at all that NBC was the ones who first used this technology. They are the biggest dinosaurs in the television industry. Instead of opting to adapt to a new world, they are invest in ways to slow down progress. I think it will backfire on them as they'll find less people willing to invest themselves in a particular TV show if they have to miss weeks worth of programming because thier PVR can't record it. I sure as heck don't have time to ensure that I'm in front of a TV at a set time every week in a Television season, so I'll just opt not to follow programming in which I can't pre-record episodes and watch at my own leisure. Then I cease to be a viewer.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

First thing I thought of was: who the hell uses a VCR anymore?

Right now I can't believe that I'm actually surprised by this. It just annoys me that companies still believe that this is the best way to deal with these kinds of situations.

One one hand, I can understand that they want to keep this sort of thing out of the hands of the piratical distributors, those who take the program and chop out all the commercials and torrent it, but are they (still) so narrow minded to think that a flag is going to stop anyone really determined?

In other words, this will only really stop people who want to view their favourite shows legitimately, which is a really dumb move on their part.

I wonder how long it will take for someone to get the brainwave that maybe they should find some way to profit off of the freedom of information instead of trying to stifle it. Even I can think of some ways to try to make it work.
WhiteTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is that why the sound was completely ed up for me on American Gladiators on my recorded episode?

Edit- Reading a little further, it seems maybe not. Scary nontheless.
metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 03:37 PM   #5
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

See if its not on a computer i dont understand why there is a problem, why not block access to take it off of the PVR. People are still watching there shows just not at the time they want. Is it because commercials are so easily skipped? I find skipping to be frustrating though becuse you have to have quick reflexes.

I mean we are watching FREE tv, its not like we are stealing the show (unless its on a computer and shared on the internet) we payed for the box to be able to watch a show whenever we want. They still get the ratings and still get the advertising dollars.
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:15 PM   #6
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Part of the problem is that most people don't perceive it as being free TV. They look at their cable bill, see that they pay $75 per month, and feel they are owed. And I can't say that I blame them. Using satellite as an example, why do I pay more to get more channels? The costs are the same for the infastructure. Do cable/satellite companies pay the networks for the channels they braodcast?

I just don't understand any sort of model where it wouldn't be better for a channel to have as much exposure as possible. Lets take Rogers Sportsnet. If I was Rogers, I would want every cable and satellite subscriber to have that channel. I know there are people who aren't big enough sports fans to justify paying to subscribe, but would watch the odd Flames game if allowed.

Once TV is completely "free", then the broadcasters can do whatever they want. Until that time, keep your hands off the content that I pay for.

On another note, companies in the States charge a PVR fee every month. I wonder if this might end up going away a little quicker if the big US companies find out they cannot charge that extra fee every month.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:01 PM   #7
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really don't care about what these fools do anymore. I'm tired of ranting about DRM, the DMCA et all. There's always a hack, crack, or analogue hole to be found. I can always find what I am looking for.

The thing I care about is this just hurts the average joe citizen. The person who doesn't understand why their paid for music doesn't play or their PVR won't record.

I'm a pirate and I don't care who knows it. I would pay for it if it was delivered to me the way I want it but it's not, so I steal it. Fata 'em
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:01 PM   #8
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

They'll just find ways around it.

Pretty stupid move by NBC though.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:30 PM   #9
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

TV used to be funded by product placement. Then they included ads. Then they starting charging us for the channels. They keep adding to their revenue streams but if we want to cut out the commercials, no no no. Forced to watch ads is the future. That and paying a premium for HD channels.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:04 AM   #10
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think this just encourages people to download tv show, which is even worse for the companies as no one sees the ads. The rips come out so fast now that once a show airs in the east, its up on the net before the show airs in the west.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:13 AM   #11
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

If poeple are ripping this straight to comptuer then I dont feel one once of sorrow for them. They are very likely recordign it without commercials for purposes of file sharing.

Gives the users who have a PVR and just cant make it home by 6 every night or want to stay up till 11 to watch a show a bad name.

Also, why use WMC to record these shows, that was their first mistake. With all the legal issues its not like Msft is going to take a stand for the consumer after the consumer tries to bring it down via the courts. There are many other and far better ways to record shows directly to the computer.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #12
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it wasn't for my PVR I wouldn't watch TV. If something like this does happen, I really hope they keep away from sports. Last season with a new baby in the house I rarely watched a Flames game live on TV.

Last edited by burn_baby_burn; 05-29-2008 at 09:37 AM.
burn_baby_burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:44 AM   #13
WhiteTom
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
If poeple are ripping this straight to comptuer then I dont feel one once of sorrow for them. They are very likely recordign it without commercials for purposes of file sharing.
I don't really agree with the file sharing part of this in the context of the article simply because these people who are being affected are using Windows Media Center to record the shows. Like you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
There are many other and far better ways to record shows directly to the computer.
Pirates will use better/faster/easier ways to record the shows that they want to share. It's chumps like me that would use WMC simply because I don't want to muck about with other software when I have one that "works" and I wouldn't want to buy a PVR if I had a way to record stuff to my computer.
WhiteTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:24 AM   #14
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
Not surprised at all that NBC was the ones who first used this technology. They are the biggest dinosaurs in the television industry. Instead of opting to adapt to a new world, they are invest in ways to slow down progress. I think it will backfire on them as they'll find less people willing to invest themselves in a particular TV show if they have to miss weeks worth of programming because thier PVR can't record it. I sure as heck don't have time to ensure that I'm in front of a TV at a set time every week in a Television season, so I'll just opt not to follow programming in which I can't pre-record episodes and watch at my own leisure. Then I cease to be a viewer.
I wouldn't say they are the slowest to adapt. They are behind http://www.hulu.com/, which is a major step for an entrenched American broadcast TV network to take.

Unfortunately it's region locked, mostly due to foreign copyright laws so it's useless for us in Canada...

No network should be able to prevent recording TV shows. Perhaps adding an expiration date is acceptable or preventing the stripping of commercials from the recording... But to restrict viewers to specific time slots on a schedule just isn't going to fly any more. We want freedom to bend our entertainment around our lifestyle, not the other way around.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:21 AM   #15
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
I wouldn't say they are the slowest to adapt. They are behind http://www.hulu.com/, which is a major step for an entrenched American broadcast TV network to take.

Unfortunately it's region locked, mostly due to foreign copyright laws so it's useless for us in Canada...

No network should be able to prevent recording TV shows. Perhaps adding an expiration date is acceptable or preventing the stripping of commercials from the recording... But to restrict viewers to specific time slots on a schedule just isn't going to fly any more. We want freedom to bend our entertainment around our lifestyle, not the other way around.

here's how to watch hulu (and any other region locked video) in canada.

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/01...otspot-shield/

i tried it back in the day and it worked, should still since it's just using proxies but i haven't tried lately.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:42 AM   #16
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Choy View Post
here's how to watch hulu (and any other region locked video) in canada.

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/01...otspot-shield/

i tried it back in the day and it worked, should still since it's just using proxies but i haven't tried lately.
Meh. To be honest, soon as they put up that much of a fuss to get at their content, I get disinterested.

I don't watch much TV anyways, and the shows that I do I usually just buy the DVD of. For NBC content, pretty much just 30 Rock. Probably the best show made in the past couple years.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #17
jydk
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If I go take a piss during a commercial break am I breaking any laws? I am just going to hold it until I know for sure, I don't want to get into any legal troubles because I didn't expose myself to advertisments from companies that are paying for my favorite programs!
jydk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:24 PM   #18
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

If shaw and rogers start locking people from recording their shows on the PVRs Shaw is going to have a lot of angry people who dropped 800 bucks on a PVR losing their frakking minds.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:45 PM   #19
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
If shaw and rogers start locking people from recording their shows on the PVRs Shaw is going to have a lot of angry people who dropped 800 bucks on a PVR losing their frakking minds.
Shaw and Rogers no longer have a say. The equipment they sold already have that "feature" included. It is up to the originating channel whether or not those switched are activated, and nothing Rogers or Shaw can do will stop it. Sure, it is Rogers and Shaw who will get all the nasty phonecalls, but do you think any American network affiliate gives a rat's behind about that?
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:23 AM   #20
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Shaw and Rogers no longer have a say. The equipment they sold already have that "feature" included. It is up to the originating channel whether or not those switched are activated, and nothing Rogers or Shaw can do will stop it. Sure, it is Rogers and Shaw who will get all the nasty phonecalls, but do you think any American network affiliate gives a rat's behind about that?
Well, if people get really pissed off, they might reconsider the value of dropping $1000 on digital TV service per year. Given the rise of other media streams, there is potential for the TV market to drop significantly enough for the effects to be felt by the broadcasters.

We can hope I guess...