Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2008, 04:08 PM   #1
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default HELP! My computer crashed!

So, i'm doing fairly routine things on the computer (word, adobe, e-mail) when just following an anti-virus update my computer reboots without a warning screen telling me to save open files.

it gets to the screen just prior to Windows start-up and i get a black screen, and at the top it says 'Operating System Not Detected'

WTF!

Is this a virus? Should I try to re-install Windows? If I do, will it just over-write the old OS, but leave all my files in place?

Help!
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

not a virus. Most likely the information that contains the location to your operating system was corrupted, and so your hdd needs to have it's files checked.

This can be done with hmm.. I dunno. Usually I'm able to do it with a command console enabled version of windows so I can run chkdsk.

However, some more information would be better.

(Reason why it is most likely corrupted is due to the fact that a sudden reboot of windows would most likely trash any read/write info for your hdd.)

Also depending on what disk you received from the manufacturer, you may have the ability to repair install the os, but even then, that's a untrustworthy solution long term.
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliche View Post
not a virus. Most likely the information that contains the location to your operating system was corrupted, and so your hdd needs to have it's files checked.

This can be done with hmm.. I dunno. Usually I'm able to do it with a command console enabled version of windows so I can run chkdsk.

However, some more information would be better.

(Reason why it is most likely corrupted is due to the fact that a sudden reboot of windows would most likely trash any read/write info for your hdd.)

Also depending on what disk you received from the manufacturer, you may have the ability to repair install the os, but even then, that's a untrustworthy solution long term.
what other info woul you need? I'm not really a techie aficionado
Old 05-26-2008, 05:03 PM   #4
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

Do you have multiple hard drives? If you do, it may be trying to boot off the wrong one if your BIOS settings were corrupted or lost.
BlackEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:06 PM   #5
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

nope, just one hdd
Old 05-26-2008, 05:20 PM   #6
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Do you have a floppy drive and/or CD in the floppy/cd drive?
Old 05-26-2008, 05:22 PM   #7
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

^nope
Old 05-26-2008, 06:51 PM   #8
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I don't think this is a virus. This is a common occurance. Your computer may have forgotten how to look for your operating system.

This happens either because the boot order has been messed up in the bios or the harddrive is not properly detected. Do you know how to get into your bios? You usually hit DEL or F1, etc. when your computer first starts up. You might get a friend who knows how to do these things to help you.

The other thing is that the boot.ini or NTLDR might have been messed up or the registry files messed up because of the crash and reboot.

Don't worry, I'm sure all your files are intact but it might take some complicated steps to get everything going again. One thing you can try is put in the Windows CD and use the repair OS option when presented to you.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:52 PM   #9
HelloHockeyFans
n00b!

Exp:

Do you recall hearing "clicking" noises coming from your computer recently?
HelloHockeyFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:04 PM   #10
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Boot with the XP installation CD.

When prompted, press R to repair a Windows XP installation.

If you have only one operating system, enter 1 to select it.

Enter the administrator password if prompted.

To fix the MBR, use the following command:

fixmbr

This assumes that your installation is on the C:\ drive. You will be presented with several scary warning lines the reading of which will make you want to say no. Microsoft is exceptionally vague regarding the conditions under which fixmbr can cause problems although they are clear about the consequences (losing all data on the hard drive), so use this at your own risk.

Type y and ENTER to fix the MBR.

Type exit to leave the recovery console and reboot.

Use at your own risk. But I have done this successfully in the past.

Last edited by keratosis; 05-26-2008 at 07:06 PM.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:14 PM   #11
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I don't think this is a virus. This is a common occurance. Your computer may have forgotten how to look for your operating system.

This happens either because the boot order has been messed up in the bios or the harddrive is not properly detected. Do you know how to get into your bios? You usually hit DEL or F1, etc. when your computer first starts up. You might get a friend who knows how to do these things to help you.

The other thing is that the boot.ini or NTLDR might have been messed up or the registry files messed up because of the crash and reboot.

Don't worry, I'm sure all your files are intact but it might take some complicated steps to get everything going again. One thing you can try is put in the Windows CD and use the repair OS option when presented to you.
thats exactly what it was; strange that it would just happen spontaneously.

thanks to everyone for the suggestions and help
Old 05-27-2008, 08:11 AM   #12
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
thats exactly what it was; strange that it would just happen spontaneously.

thanks to everyone for the suggestions and help
That's kind of what I thought was going on as well (its why I asked you if you had multiple hard disks).

There's a battery on the motherboard that may be dying. Have you had any problems with the time or date getting reset? That's usually a pretty good indication you need a new battery.
BlackEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:30 PM   #13
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEleven View Post
That's kind of what I thought was going on as well (its why I asked you if you had multiple hard disks).

There's a battery on the motherboard that may be dying. Have you had any problems with the time or date getting reset? That's usually a pretty good indication you need a new battery.
the cmos battery? do computers still have these? (mines a laptop) I remember changing it on an old desktop; would be a pain in the ass to have to open up my laptop. i havent had any problems with time/date reset