Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2008, 01:08 PM   #1
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Xbox 360/PS3 repair roll call

Which platform and how many times over what period of time. I see a lot of 360 return posts but no PS3. Also, would you switch to the other console if you could make your initial purchase all over again or do you think you made the right choice?
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have had my 360 since Christmas 06, and have had it repaired twice. Both times it was the RROD. The last time it was repaired was November of 07, and it has worked perfectly ever since.

I am still happy with my 360, however, because when it's working it really kicks ass. That, and I just don't like Sony.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
czure32
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Ive had my PS3 since NA launch and havent had any problems with it whatsoever

NHL08 will freeze occaisionally, but that has more to do with NHL08 being bugged to hell than it does the PS3
Old 05-23-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've had my XBOX360 (Premium version) since May 2007, so about 1 year old.

Not a single issue with it. Perhaps 100-120 hours spent gaming, many more watching movies (DVD and streaming from PC).
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:07 PM   #5
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have a Sony TV, DVD player and stereo system but went with a 360 because I thought the graphics looked better. Plus they were the first new gen system to get NHL 07.

No problems at at with my 360 at all, bought it 2 years ago and use it at least every 2nd day.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 05:23 PM   #6
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I sent my PS3 in because of an odd clicking noise out of the hard drive. I went with the PS3 because I wanted to play some PS2 games as well. My brother and a few friends have had PS3's with no issues.

My brother and a few other I know have all had their 360's fail on them at least once.

I'll consider getting a 360 when there is an exclusive game out for it that I really want to play.
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #7
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got the RROD back at the end of November. Had a very good experience and got the box within a few days sent it out and got a replacement about a week later.

Then I started having problems with the DVD-ROM on the one I have now about a couple months ago where it had no trouble reading DVDs but had alot of trouble reading games. Called them at the beginning of the month and after two weeks I never got a box, phoned support, they got on with Purolator and told me Purolator was having issues with my address and canceled the request and issued a new one with my work address as the address. I'm still waiting for the new box to come but just a few days ago finally got the box for the first one which had some wear and tear on it. I phoned Xbox support to see if I should wait for the new one to come or ship it out it this and just put a note with the proper request number. He told me to wait and if I hadnt recieved a box within a few days to phone them. It's a good thing I can still play games but it's annoying how it takes me turning it on and off about ten times for the DVD-ROM to finally read it.

I'm still happy that I bought the 360 though. The game selection is stronger than the PS3 right now and atleast I know if it dies I can get replaced for free. I'm hoping to get the MGS4 PS3 bundle in June just so that I can have both and have a Blu-Ray player as well.

Last edited by Inferno; 05-23-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:07 PM   #8
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

our household has had one xbox and one ps3. xbox died due to non-rrod reasons. Customer service made my roomate (the owner) angry enough that it's still boxed up in his closet.

Ps3 seems to be doing fine thus far, as is my wii (while we're talking consoles).
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:53 PM   #9
Human Torch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Launch ps3 had busted usb ports. Been fine every since. No RR for 360 but I get the dirty disc error even with a clean disc every once in awhile.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:00 PM   #10
Finny61
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

On my 3rd xbox 360, going back to launch so 1 a year basically.
Finny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 01:55 AM   #11
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've had a PS3 since launch, and have had no problems. It ran continously for a whole month recently after launch, running Folding at Home. No problems.

I've never owned a 360.

My Wii is doing just fine too, but it only gets used a couple of hours each week.
Draug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 09:19 AM   #12
ricoFlame
Franchise Player

Exp:

i had to send back my Wii after about 6 months. crappy deal. the new one they sent back hasn't had an issue.
ricoFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 09:26 AM   #13
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

waiting for my wii to come back from repair now. Had it about 2 months, used quite frequently, and one day it just had a blank black screen. Had used it the night before with no problems, turned it on the next morning and nothing on screen, although it seemed to power up and accept and eject discs properly, just no sound or picture.

My buddy's wii had an issue where it wouldn't power up or eject a disc one day, but after fooling with it for a bit managed to power it up enough to get the disc out. Disc was very dirty, he cleaned it, then blew out the disc bay with canned air, replaced the disc and all was well. strange.

Crispy's Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 09:39 AM   #14
Prototype

Exp:

Only XBOX360 for over a year. Just got it back a month ago due to RROD. Works fine since, but I don't play it as much.

I don't think I would have waited for the PS3, as the only things about it that I like over the 360 would be the Blu-Ray capabilities, and MLB The Show. I don't think I would switch for that.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:34 AM   #15
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

PS3 failed on me a couple weeks back. Never had an issue with any consoles ever had(intellivision, Nintendo, Genisis, PS1, PS2, Wii) before this in 25 years, and I blame it more on GTA (the online portion) then the hardware.

GTA IV seems to be bricking a lot of them (doesn't read any format of disc), so much so that Sony released new firmware (too late for me) earlier this week.

Sent it back to warrany in their supplied coffin earlier this week, under warranty.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote