Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2008, 08:55 AM   #21
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Ah interesting, I thought koodo was an MNVO, didn't know it was an actual brand of Telus'.. interesting.

That gets rid of one of the worries about an MNVO; that they'll disappear one day (which is a pretty good bet if the US's failure of many mnvo's is any indication).
Old 05-22-2008, 09:06 AM   #22
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveToms View Post
Virgin Mobile any good?
My wife got a Virgin Mobile phone last summer. Pink Razr, I think. She doesn't use it heavily, mostly for quick calls and emergencies. It's served her well. I think she got the $20/month plan that automatically charges her credit card. As far as service goes, we've had no complaints.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:24 AM   #23
czure32
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I loathe Bell Mobility
I never ahd anything but problems with them, and will never deal with Bell again.
Bell Mobility customer service licks donkey balls
Old 05-22-2008, 09:30 AM   #24
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rogers or Fido would be pretty good. The ability to switch phones easily is a big plus for me. I don't exactly care about the iPhone and data plans. Just the ability to switch to any unlocked tri or quad band GSM phone and use the phone to their full functions instead of having functions locked by the phone company is what sticks out at me.

Fido/Rogers is the way to go if you are one of them who likes the ability to switch phones.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:42 AM   #25
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've heard horror stories about all the Mobility companies. Doesn't really seem like there is a "customer friendly" option in Canada currently. Given our situation, we have to find the least irritating plan to work with and hope we don't get ripped off (which we do anyways).

Thinking about Canada's cell market just pisses me off.

I do have one question: Would it be better to wait for the official Roger's iPhone to be released or to get an unlocked one from the States? I don't have any plans to use it for internet browsing, just WIFI, texting and music. An unlocked iPhone would cost me about $550 now.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:55 AM   #26
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

You should be able to get one for less than that. $399US for an 8GB brand new off of AT&T's site, and they have refurbs every so often for $249 even, though to do those you need someone in the US to buy it for you and send it up.

Unlocking it is apparently dead easy now.

Waiting for rogers would also give you the option of getting into a contract to bring the price down (that's why I'm waiting, just to see what they have for prices).

And I totally agree, choosing among providers in Canada is like choosing which type of torture device you want.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:04 AM   #27
StrayBullet
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Fido. No doubt in my mind.
StrayBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:12 AM   #28
Ayrahb
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It might be wise not to sign long term contracts until we see the results of the wireless spectrum auction starting May 27. I am hoping for more GSM providers will enter the market as I want to leave Bell and CDMA altogether.

Virgin, PC, 7-11, and other MVNOs are reselling Bell's service, I believe, with a very limited selection of phones. Depending on your calling patterns, their plans may or may not satisfy your needs.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:57 AM   #29
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrahb View Post
It might be wise not to sign long term contracts until we see the results of the wireless spectrum auction starting May 27. I am hoping for more GSM providers will enter the market as I want to leave Bell and CDMA altogether.
If you have your own phone, I would just go with a monthly plan. The price to use a cell phone in Canada is ludacris compared to other places. In Hong Kong, I can call Canada IDD for just $0.25 HKD per minute with no extra charges, on a cell. Using the current rate, thats about $0.03 Canadian to call from a FOREIGN country into Canada. If I was still on prepaid minutes, I would have to pay $0.20 Canadian to call from within Canada to anywhere in Canada.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:17 PM   #30
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeLy View Post
If you have your own phone, I would just go with a monthly plan. The price to use a cell phone in Canada is ludacris compared to other places. In Hong Kong, I can call Canada IDD for just $0.25 HKD per minute with no extra charges, on a cell. Using the current rate, thats about $0.03 Canadian to call from a FOREIGN country into Canada. If I was still on prepaid minutes, I would have to pay $0.20 Canadian to call from within Canada to anywhere in Canada.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:18 PM   #31
SteveToms
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
IMO Telus. My family has 4 phones with them so we have quite a bit of leverage when we want something. All our phones have unlimited data for $15/month and fav 10 long distance for $39. I'd see what promo's Telus is running. They also have the best high speed wireless network.
You read the part where I said I am leaving Telus right?
SteveToms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:13 PM   #32
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

What type of plan are you looking at? What do you need?

Virgin has a promo right now where you get Call ID and Voicemail free with their plans, and plans start at $25/month no SAF/911/Activation fee.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:29 AM   #33
SteveToms
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So its down to Fido, and Virgin Mobile.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:35 AM   #34
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can someone clarify the sim card thing for me? I have a motoroal 320(?) and I know it has a sim card. Could I buy a bb peal on ebay, put the sim in the bb and be good to go? I am with Rogers and generally like them but trying to switch units is a beeyatch as I am not a heavy user. Thanks.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:43 AM   #35
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
Can someone clarify the sim card thing for me? I have a motoroal 320(?) and I know it has a sim card. Could I buy a bb peal on ebay, put the sim in the bb and be good to go? I am with Rogers and generally like them but trying to switch units is a beeyatch as I am not a heavy user. Thanks.
Yes, provided it's a GSM model. You have to be careful with some phones as they are manufactured in both CDMA and GSM versions. But otherwise, you're right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:49 AM   #36
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

In the CDN GSM market, Fido is the better company but Rogers has the better phones.

I know you can get a GSM phone from anywhere in the world and use it (I was using a red RIZR that I brought in from Jakarta). My point, though, is that Rogers has support for better phones. For example, the last time I looked you couldn't get Blackberry data through Fido.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:04 PM   #37
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
In the CDN GSM market, Fido is the better company but Rogers has the better phones.

I know you can get a GSM phone from anywhere in the world and use it (I was using a red RIZR that I brought in from Jakarta). My point, though, is that Rogers has support for better phones. For example, the last time I looked you couldn't get Blackberry data through Fido.
Watch out though. There are some phones that will not work in the GSM net work in Canada because its a different frequency band. If you do look to get a phone from outside of Canada, get a Tri Band or Quad band phone. Dual Band phones do not work here .
Old 05-24-2008, 12:51 AM   #38
SteveToms
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I tired going with Virgin Mobile today and for some reason I could not get approved, great start to the day....
Old 05-24-2008, 01:53 AM   #39
blackcherry
Draft Pick

I know you said you're leaving Telus, but that's who I personally prefer. I've heard horror stories about most cell phone providers, it just seems to depend on the person. I think what location you go through and who you talk to can make a big difference. There was a couple girls at the Sunridge location that were awesome and I've never had any issues when calling Telus themselves for customer service. They always seemed to go out of their way to make me happy.
blackcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:56 AM   #40
algernon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveToms View Post
I tired going with Virgin Mobile today and for some reason I could not get approved, great start to the day....
lolol

*ring*
*ring*

<SteveToms> Ahh...hello, Telus?
<Telus> Yes. How may I help you?
<ST> Ummm....Yeah...Ya know that stuff I was sayin' about you? Well, I'm really sorry about that...Do you think we could gits back together?
<Telus>*giggles faintly* That shouldn't be a problem...let me see here...ah yes, here it is...
<ST>here's WHAT?
<Telus> the re-activation fee-schedule, the hardware downgrade, and the bitch-slap MuHAHA
<ST> *weeps, tucks tail and takes it*
algernon is offline   Reply With Quote