Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2008, 03:28 PM   #1
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default My DLP tv...

I bought the TV from Futureshop in December of 06. The bulb blew on it a few months later, but it was replaced by the manufacturers warranty. Today, the bulb blew again. And I phoned to try and get a replacement, but apparently it is not covered by Futureshop's extended warranty! What did I pay 300 dollars for? Argh!

I am trying to get Futureshop to pay for it, but if they refuse, does anyone know of a place online or wherever for that matter, that I can buy a new bulb? I have been quoted 215.00 + GST. Can I find it cheaper somewhere? The TV is a Toshiba 46HMX85
metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:52 PM   #2
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

http://lamps-dlp.com/ProductDetail.a...1153&A=G&B=D95
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Damn Future Shop and their extended warranties. I got one on my Samsung DLP too specifically for the bulb. But they also told me the warranty wouldn't cover a replacement bulb even though the salesperson claimed otherwise. Thieving s.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:20 PM   #4
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
Damn Future Shop and their extended warranties. I got one on my Samsung DLP too specifically for the bulb. But they also told me the warranty wouldn't cover a replacement bulb even though the salesperson claimed otherwise. Thieving s.
Nice to know. Guess i won't be buying my next TV from them
Old 05-13-2008, 04:38 AM   #5
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a long day yesterday talking to different places about this issue. Bottom line, is that Futureshop likely won't cover me on the bulb despite my bitching. They are going to try and get Toshiba to give me a bulb because of an issue with the TV.

I have a new TV to buy in a month and a half or so. Futureshop was going to get my business, but now it depends on the outcome here. I was led to believe that my extended warranty covered the bulb. So we'll see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
I actually saw that website, and decided to pass because the cost of shipping it to Canada via UPS would likely hurt worse than paying 215 in stores up here. But thanks for the link regardless.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:37 AM   #6
Top Shelf
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah they are shady buggers. So the manufacturers warranty covers lamp replacement, but the extended warranty does not right? From what I gather, they look at lamps as a consumable item, like print cartridges. Sucks that they misled you though.

Here is another link for lamps, not sure how much the shipping is going to be though.

http://www.discount-merchant.com/Tos...amps-s/201.htm
Top Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:03 AM   #7
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

The underlying issue is that in many cases, a commission salesman will tell you anything to get the sale. When working in sales I sometimes found I would lose a deal to another salesperson within our company, because the other salesman lied to the customer and promised more than could be delivered.

Any time you are dealing with any sort of sales person, be sure to get what you are being told in writing. Using this bulb example, if at the time of sale the salesman and his manager were being pushed to sell more warranties, they might have both told you that the bulb was covered. Get them to write that on the bill of sale, initial it and then print their first and last names.

Also, when shopping at a store if you don't like your salesperson because he appears to be shady, unknowledgeable, seems to be lying, etc- go to a manager and say you don't like your salesman, you want to buy, and can you deal with somebody else. The managers job is to make sure the store gets the deal; not any particular sales guy.

OF- I would write a letter (not an email) and send it to Future Shop's head office. Tell them what you were told at the time of the sale, how you are sure you asked because it was a concern of yours, and that you are looking to make another TV purchase in the coming months. Ask how they would like to handle this. Don't threaten to never go back, and whatever you do don't threaten to go to Best Buy. They might do something for you; they might meet you half way- who knows.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:37 AM   #8
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I was shocked this weekend, I went to FutureShop to replace my car stereo and get it installed and to but a new monitor for my computer. I went to the store on Macleod by Chinook, and I can't believe how far its fallen. It was grubby and dusty, half of the stuff wasn't priced or labeled. The sales people were more interested in their conversations with each other then making money. I stood in the car audio for 15 minutes, and finally a lovely cashier came over and asked if she could help. I pointed to a stereo and asked about installation. She went over the the phone, picked it up and started talking street slang to the installer.

Fortunately the installer did a good job, but I ended up just grabbing a monitor and walking to the front of the store to the cashier to ring it through, he asked me if I wanted extended warranty and I very nicely pointed out that nobody seemed in a hurry to help me out, so that didn't bode well in my mind for any kind of warranty service.

I have to admit that I had some brand loyalty to Future Shop, I mean I worked there for three years, made a killing on their stock when they went public. But man it just seemed so dumpy and unprofessional, like they didn't give a crap.

Are all of the stores like that now?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:41 AM   #9
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I've always found the chinook location to be among the worst for presentation.

Brutal news about the warranty. I would have assumed that the bulbs were covered. Those service plans really are sketchy at the best of times.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:18 AM   #10
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

I used to like Futureshop. Not anymore.

They don't honor warranty service (will argue as much as possible even it it's is expressly covered). Their so called "experts" are mindless idiots who don't have a clue what they are talking about. Any worthwhile tech support people are off making a killing in the IT sector, leaving the dredges working at FS.

For any computer related parts I now go to Memory Express. The people working there actually know what they are talking about and will often make suggestions that make sense to the customer rather then merely padding their sales quota (had a sales guy tell me to avoid the mouse I was buying and go with a cheaper one that was apparently better).

Most service plans will not cover anything that can be "worn out". This includes bulbs most of the time. So when buying a TV, there really isn't much of a point in buying an extended warranty since if you have a dud, it will become apparent long before the manufacturers plan expires.

Buying the Futureshop plans is about as useful as buying a warranty on a DVD disc.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:57 AM   #11
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I understand why the warranty doesn't cover consumable items like lamps, but it's annoying that the salespeople either don't understand it themselves. Or worse, that they intentionally misrepresent the benefits of the warranty. Worst of all, the company doesn't seem to necessarily care.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:31 PM   #12
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

I had a real prick of a salesman at Futureshop when I was buying my TV... I was essentially set to buy (they had price matched and beat it by 5%) and he kept shoving the extended warranty on me and said (direct quote here) "you're practically an idiot if you don't get the extended warranty on this beautiful TV".

I told the guy that whether it was a "figure of speech" (his justification) or not, I don't really like being called an idiot based on a decision that I've already made and asked to speak to his manager. The manager came over and I said the exact same thing to the manager... he apologized profusely and THEN TRIED TO SELL ME THE )(*%#)(*% EXTENDED WARRANTY AGAIN. I was furious and I walked right out.. if I was paying in cash I would have slapped them both in the face with the money...

Anyways I went to London Drugs who beat both Futureshop and BB's prices, didn't push any warranty on me and offered me great customer service when I went in for price protection.

Quite the long winded rant, but yeah, the next time I need electronics I'll price it out at Futureshop or Best buy, but I'll actually buy it at London Drugs or even A&B sound.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:06 PM   #13
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

It never fails, a thread about Futureshop leads to soooo many complaints about the store. I suppose it could happen with any store, but Futureshop just gets a lot of unsatisfied customers it seems. I really don't know why I continue to shop there.

I'm still waiting on this guy to call me back. Two days now without a TV is killing me! Luckily I programmed my PVR for the week.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:45 PM   #14
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did you buy the original set with a credit card? Many credit cards automatically extend the warranty if you use them. It is worth checking out.

Edit: And when Futureshop was bought out by Best Buy, Best Buy decided to "position" future shop as the lower end/bargain type electronics store, and position Best buy as higher end.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:56 PM   #15
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toshiba agreed to give me a new lamp, on the basis that there are problems with these TVs apparently. Of course, nobody was going to tell me that unless I pressed them. Futureshop never did call me back. A manager was going to talk to Toshiba for me, but I haven't heard one word from him. I think that even though I got my free lamp, a letter like the one Kevin suggested is in order.

I can't see myself buying a TV from Futureshop in the future.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:23 PM   #16
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Edit: And when Futureshop was bought out by Best Buy, Best Buy decided to "position" future shop as the lower end/bargain type electronics store, and position Best buy as higher end.
That's good info, I didn't know that. I quite honestly thought it was the other way around, although I'd never gone into Best Buy to check the place out.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:31 AM   #17
Ro
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Did you buy the original set with a credit card? Many credit cards automatically extend the warranty if you use them. It is worth checking out.
Very true. I know many AMEX cards do just that. If you buy an iPod, for example, put it on your AMEX if you have that feature. One year warranty through Apple, and when that expires, you get a 2nd year warranty through AMEX.
Ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:34 PM   #18
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's interesting stuff, I didn't know that. Turns out I used my debit card, but I am going to look into that. I only have a MasterCard right now, so we'll see.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:29 PM   #19
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Mastercard will extend a warranty another year past the one year warranty.

I bought my TV with mastercard specifically because of that... and the airmiles rewards.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:19 PM   #20
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
Toshiba agreed to give me a new lamp, on the basis that there are problems with these TVs apparently. Of course, nobody was going to tell me that unless I pressed them. Futureshop never did call me back. A manager was going to talk to Toshiba for me, but I haven't heard one word from him. I think that even though I got my free lamp, a letter like the one Kevin suggested is in order.

I can't see myself buying a TV from Futureshop in the future.
I've had decent luck with the Toshiba warranty guys, I found a recall of sorts on their website and have had a bulb replaced by the manufacturer. I also bought at Future Shop, they were extremely annoying pushing the extended warranty crap.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote