Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2006, 03:50 PM   #41
Josh
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've had XM for over two years, and well the last time I've listened to an FM station was over two years ago. It's been the best thing I've ever bought for my car. My recommendation is to get it, you definetly won't regret it.
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:59 PM   #42
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonrox View Post
Don't buy into the Howard hype. He and his crew are absolutely terrible. Go with XM and listen to Opie and Anthony. There's a reason Howard tried to shut these guys up and ruin their careers... he was and is scared of their genius.
What makes you so sure that he's 'scared' of their genius? Sirius signed him to a $500 million contract, why would he be scared or concerned in the least about those guys in any aspect? Howard has zero to worry about..........he's richer and more powerful than most celebrities in America and there is zero chance he will be fired.

Why didn't Sirius offer those guys 500 million if they are geniuses?
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:13 PM   #43
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
What makes you so sure that he's 'scared' of their genius? Sirius signed him to a $500 million contract, why would he be scared or concerned in the least about those guys in any aspect? Howard has zero to worry about..........he's richer and more powerful than most celebrities in America and there is zero chance he will be fired.

Why didn't Sirius offer those guys 500 million if they are geniuses?
Trust me the bosses at Sirius are kicking they're own @sses for giving Howard that contract. The sub rate has not gone threw the roof like they thought it would, they still trail XM sub rates by quite a bit, the so called "king of all media" has not brought the listeners nor the ad rate they had hoped for. From what i've listened to of Howard since he went to the dog star, it seems like he doesn't care anymore, he takes alot of time off and talks about his manson in the hamptons alot. As far as Howard vs O&A, Howard has never liked them, has claimed that he could ban them from The Late Show "if he felt like it" and is pretty upset that O&A now has about 20 times the listening audience since signing with CBS (Howards old stomping grounds). And to say Howard is more powerful than most celebs is a bit far fetched, he's about one step away from doing "Hollywood Squares"
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:23 PM   #44
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
Trust me the bosses at Sirius are kicking they're own @sses for giving Howard that contract.
Why should I trust you? Do you know the bosses personally?

Quote:
The sub rate has not gone threw the roof like they thought it would, they still trail XM sub rates by quite a bit, the so called "king of all media" has not brought the listeners nor the ad rate they had hoped for.
Here's an article from Business Week from April:

Since the talk-radio star announced he would join Sirius, its subscriber rolls have jumped to more than 4 million, with more than 1 million net additions attributable to Stern, analysts say. In the fourth quarter, Sirius for the first time added more subscribers than rival XM Satellite Radio (XMSR ) -- and Stern is the reason, says Joan Lappin, president of Gramercy Capital Management, which owns shares. Sirius had trailed XM by 10 percentage points in brand recognition, and is now 10 points ahead, a phenomenal switch, says Lappin. "It's the Stern Effect," she adds. Maurice McKenzie of investment firm Friedman Billings Ramsey (FBR ), who rates the stock, now at 5, "outperform" with a target of 7.50, estimates subs will hit 6 million by yearend. Stern has helped put Sirius on track to break even, or maybe turn profitable by 2007, says McKenzie. Tuna Amobi of Standard & Poor's, who rates Sirius a "five-star strong buy," predicts subs will hit 9.8 million by yearend 2007. He sees revenues leaping to $610 million in 2006 and to nearly $1.1 billion in 2007, up from $242.3 million in 2005.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...5/b3979125.htm

Here's a recent article from Canadian Business Magazine:

The early winner? Well, it's not XM, even though it has charged $2 less per month, offers the better selection of special receivers needed to pick up satellite signals and signed exclusive deals with the top three automobile sellers in the country — GM, Toyota and Honda. Instead, it's Sirius claiming victory, with more than 65% retail market share.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/tech...23_81741_81741

And an article today in the Washington Post:

Still, Karmazin said demand for Stern is driving listeners to Sirius, which signed its first subscriber in 2002. The company expects to generate $1 billion in revenue next year and have 6.3 million subscribers by the end of 2006.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...113000683.html

Quote:
From what i've listened to of Howard since he went to the dog star, it seems like he doesn't care anymore, he takes alot of time off and talks about his manson in the hamptons alot.
At least you don't sound biased. Talks about his mansion in the Hamptons a lot? I listen to Stern quite a bit and I don't recall the last time he ever brought up this topic, if ever.

Quote:
As far as Howard vs O&A, Howard has never liked them, has claimed that he could ban them from The Late Show "if he felt like it" and is pretty upset that O&A now has about 20 times the listening audience since signing with CBS (Howards old stomping grounds).
Since it sounds like you're quoting him, do you mind providing a link for that? I'd be interested in seeing that.

As for your statement about '20 times the listening audience' in what context are you comparing that to?

Quote:
And to say Howard is more powerful than most celebs is a bit far fetched, he's about one step away from doing "Hollywood Squares"
Wrong again.

Stern was listed the #7 most powerful celebrity by Forbes in June.

http://www.forbes.com/2006/06/12/06c...list_land.html
Old 11-30-2006, 11:32 PM   #45
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Choosing between XM and Sirius is a matter of personal opinion. You need to make your own mind up, because subscribers of one are not likely to support the other company. I have XM, but I am sure that I would be just as happy with Sirius.

When I signed up with XM, the Canadian subscription offered less than the American one, so I went with the US. Now, I think it's almost identical.

As for Opie and Anthony, I listened to them for a couple months, but got tired of listening. Someone else mentioned it, but Jimmy Norton is annoying as hell. Some of their bits are alright, but nothing to make me want to listen on a daily basis.

Check out the lineup for each company, and see which one offers more of what you want.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:28 AM   #46
underGRADFlame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Why should I trust you? Do you know the bosses personally?

Here's an article from Business Week from April:

Since the talk-radio star announced he would join Sirius, its subscriber rolls have jumped to more than 4 million, with more than 1 million net additions attributable to Stern, analysts say. In the fourth quarter, Sirius for the first time added more subscribers than rival XM Satellite Radio (XMSR ) -- and Stern is the reason, says Joan Lappin, president of Gramercy Capital Management, which owns shares. Sirius had trailed XM by 10 percentage points in brand recognition, and is now 10 points ahead, a phenomenal switch, says Lappin. "It's the Stern Effect," she adds. Maurice McKenzie of investment firm Friedman Billings Ramsey (FBR ), who rates the stock, now at 5, "outperform" with a target of 7.50, estimates subs will hit 6 million by yearend. Stern has helped put Sirius on track to break even, or maybe turn profitable by 2007, says McKenzie. Tuna Amobi of Standard & Poor's, who rates Sirius a "five-star strong buy," predicts subs will hit 9.8 million by yearend 2007. He sees revenues leaping to $610 million in 2006 and to nearly $1.1 billion in 2007, up from $242.3 million in 2005.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...5/b3979125.htm

Here's a recent article from Canadian Business Magazine:

The early winner? Well, it's not XM, even though it has charged $2 less per month, offers the better selection of special receivers needed to pick up satellite signals and signed exclusive deals with the top three automobile sellers in the country — GM, Toyota and Honda. Instead, it's Sirius claiming victory, with more than 65% retail market share.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/tech...23_81741_81741

And an article today in the Washington Post:

Still, Karmazin said demand for Stern is driving listeners to Sirius, which signed its first subscriber in 2002. The company expects to generate $1 billion in revenue next year and have 6.3 million subscribers by the end of 2006.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...113000683.html

At least you don't sound biased. Talks about his mansion in the Hamptons a lot? I listen to Stern quite a bit and I don't recall the last time he ever brought up this topic, if ever.

Since it sounds like you're quoting him, do you mind providing a link for that? I'd be interested in seeing that.

As for your statement about '20 times the listening audience' in what context are you comparing that to?

Wrong again.

Stern was listed the #7 most powerful celebrity by Forbes in June.

http://www.forbes.com/2006/06/12/06c...list_land.html
Just cause I really don't want to fight each one of your points, and its because I really don't care enough about the subject I'll just quote the last part of the Forbes write up. "The outsized compensation package prompted massive first-quarter losses for Sirius, which has seen its stock tumble 32% to $4.41 since the new year."

And the comment on 20 X the listening audience is due to the fact O&A are on Terrestrial radio and XM meaning theyre listening is about twenty times that of Howards.

But reguardless this is getting way OT and I'm past the point of caring to back up my points(I'm just lazy). O&A fans don't like Stern, Stern Fans don't like O&A, it can be left at that.

Bench Warmer, this is what XM vs Sirius comes down, Stern vs O&A, its basically the only difference, or I guess it could be Martha Stewart vs Oprah LOL
Old 12-01-2006, 09:53 AM   #47
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Opie & Anthony? Honkey please.

The only reason we have some O&A fans here is because they picked up an XM radio over a year ago before they knew the difference between Sirius and XM. Sounds like someone is buying into the hype and it is not Stern fans. The man has been number one in numerous markets across North America for over 2 decades.

Now who are Opie and Anthony?
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 01:47 PM   #48
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
And the comment on 20 X the listening audience is due to the fact O&A are on Terrestrial radio and XM meaning theyre listening is about twenty times that of Howards.
Ah, okay. Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote:
But reguardless this is getting way OT and I'm past the point of caring to back up my points(I'm just lazy). O&A fans don't like Stern, Stern Fans don't like O&A, it can be left at that.
I've never heard O&A, so I can't comment on their show, perhaps I would like them.

I like listening to Howard's show, it's pretty good, and his show usually runs about 4-5 hours long. But my favourite program on the Stern network is Scott Ferrall's show. Uncensored, hilarious sports call-in show with great music playing in the background. I love it. Ferrall is also a pretty huge hockey fan, so he doesn't just stick to football and baseball all the time. Just a great, great show.

Quote:
Bench Warmer, this is what XM vs Sirius comes down, Stern vs O&A, its basically the only difference, or I guess it could be Martha Stewart vs Oprah LOL
Here's an interesting take from the Washington Post's Marc Fisher written in August. He compares the two systems and which one he likes better in certain categories.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...081100085.html
Old 12-01-2006, 02:08 PM   #49
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ferrall...I thought he was gone. I do remember O&A fans lambasting his show with calls just to try to screw him up. I can't get into that guy...I've tried listening to his sports show on Fox Sports I believe.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:16 PM   #50
Antithesis
Disenfranchised

Exp:

Some questions specifically about acquiring a US subscription to the XM Radio service.

1. Do you need to purchase a radio unit in the USA in order to subscribe to the US version of this service? If so, can you order these online? (I'd assume not)

2. I assume you need a US mailing address in order to set this up, is this the case?

3. Do they offer pre-authorized payment so no bills are actually sent?

4. If so, do they accept credit cards from Canadian banks?

5. Can Canadians easily listen to the XM online service? If so, this would save me a lot of $$$ in purchasing a mobile unit.
Antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:25 PM   #51
underGRADFlame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
Some questions specifically about acquiring a US subscription to the XM Radio service.

1. Do you need to purchase a radio unit in the USA in order to subscribe to the US version of this service? If so, can you order these online? (I'd assume not)

2. I assume you need a US mailing address in order to set this up, is this the case?

3. Do they offer pre-authorized payment so no bills are actually sent?

4. If so, do they accept credit cards from Canadian banks?

5. Can Canadians easily listen to the XM online service? If so, this would save me a lot of $$$ in purchasing a mobile unit.
(1)I bought my unit at Autotemp here in Calgary, from what i can tell there is no difference between US/Canadian Equipment, they both pull from the same satellite. (2) For the mailing address I use my aunts, but the guy at autotemp told me to just give XM's address in DC. (3/4) I've been using my RBC Visa with no problems and my aunt has told me there is no mail thats ever shown up. (5) I use XM online all the time at work, you get a free online account for every radio sub. I think the online account alone is just under 10/mnth.

Last edited by underGRADFlame; 06-18-2007 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:33 PM   #52
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am pretty sure though, that you don't get everything with the online subscription. I haven't logged online in a long time, but I don't think I ever saw sports, and probably some other things. Is this still the case?
metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:37 PM   #53
underGRADFlame

Exp:

No the online line up has all the music channels but very few of the talk stations. But 202 is there and for me it's all that matters.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:57 PM   #54
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I'm not going to get into the whole XM/Sirius battle. I picked up a Sirius unit (as a gift actually) and it is great. I didn't buy it for a specific personality or anything, although I thought that Maxim radio would be cool (its mediocre at best).

Since I've had the radio though I'm addicted to the two Stern channels. I tried him out on a whim, and that show is fantastic. Ferrall and Bubba are also faves of mine now. I rarely bother with terrestrial radio now and hated missing a week of satellite.

The price is totally worth it, just make a choice between the two and which ever you choose you'll be happy with; its a good decision for sure!

(Buy the extended warranty for the car system....the antenna do fail all the time and you will likely get your $$ worth!).
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:06 AM   #55
iggypop
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Back from the dead. After combing this thread I still can't find the right info about portable units. Im thinking about buying a portable handheld unit that I could hopefully listen to anywhere, but do they actually work? My dream is to be able to listen to it while inside Mt Royal, but is it possible? Does one provider have a stronger signal that would allow me to do this? Any personal experience? TIA
iggypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:31 AM   #56
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggypop View Post
Back from the dead. After combing this thread I still can't find the right info about portable units. Im thinking about buying a portable handheld unit that I could hopefully listen to anywhere, but do they actually work? My dream is to be able to listen to it while inside Mt Royal, but is it possible? Does one provider have a stronger signal that would allow me to do this? Any personal experience? TIA
No, if you get a portable unit, it comes with a little cord that is the antenna, and you clip it on to you back-pack or whatever (pretty lame if you ask me, but i don't really see much of an alternative). You wouldn't be able to get it inside MRC except if you were maybe by a window or something.
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:59 AM   #57
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

How much of Mount Royal is covered by WiFi?

The Stilettos can stream from the internet I think, check it out.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:41 AM   #58
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayems View Post
No, if you get a portable unit, it comes with a little cord that is the antenna, and you clip it on to you back-pack or whatever (pretty lame if you ask me, but i don't really see much of an alternative). You wouldn't be able to get it inside MRC except if you were maybe by a window or something.
Both providers have on-ground repeaters that allow you to pick up their signal without a line of sight to the satellites. I can pick up XM in my garage with the door closed. Buy one at Future Shop, Best Buy or Costco and see if you can get a signal where you want to. You don't need to subscribe since you're just looking for a signal. If you can't get a signal, return it for a refund.
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:50 AM   #59
greerb
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Here are a few points that no body has covered in this.

- Sirius has repeaters in large urban area, they use CBC towers, I'm pretty sure XM does the same, but I am unsure who's towers they use.
- Sirius is brining out a Video subscription, I checked out the units at CES this past January. If you have kids, you may want to stonly look at this. They have also launched a 4th satalite for this.
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-...zin-218618.php
- At the start of this upcoming season XM will be the only provider of broadcasting NHL games, like sirius they will probably pick up The Fan's feed.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:23 PM   #60
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Really hate to bump a super old thread but I did not want to start a new one. I want to get a satellite radio for my car but do not know which provider I want.

I do not know the difference between them. I one better for sports which I like. Any suggestions?

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote