Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2006, 03:54 PM   #1
Bench Warmer
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Questions about Satellite Radio

There was some discussion about satellite radio the CJAY 92 thread and I had a couple questions for you satellite radio owners out there.

First off, XM or Sirius? I've heard Sirius' music/shows are better, XMs sports are better. For me, I doubt I'd listen to alot of live sports on radio (I got HD on TV at home so why listen to radio) but I'd probably listen to a variety of music, comedy, sports during the day. Suggestions?

Second, I'd like a unit where I can listen at work during the day but convert to something I can listen in the car as well for the drive to/from work. The impression I've always got is you'd have to buy seperate systems to do both - or am I wrong here? An all-in-one portable system would be great. Don't want to spend a tonne - any suggestions on the hardware I should purchase?

Lastly, is it worth the cost? Paying for radio is still foreign to me at this point...
Bench Warmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:59 PM   #2
Flames in 07
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sat Radio is absolutely worth it.

A small question is Sirius vs XM. Both are very simiar, the larger question is Canadian subscription vs US.

Canadian subscription gives you the opportunity to have the CRTC decide which channels you get and which you don't.

I have a US sub to XM, and listen to it every day. I get all NHL games, many NCAA conferences for football and basketball, 6 urban stations 5 jazz stations, about 250 stations in total and almost never listen to FM anymore.
Flames in 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:08 PM   #3
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I prefer Sirius....NFL Network, Howard Stern, Maxim radio, ESPN Radio, and ALL NFL GAMES.

Rumor has it the two will merge in the next 18 months, though....
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:11 PM   #4
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I my understanding is that XM has the rights to NHL hockey and Sirius does not.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:19 PM   #5
Flames in 07
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edn88 View Post
Correct.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:23 PM   #6
OilersBaby
First Line Centre

Exp:

my husband and i have Sirius and we love it! Amazin variety...tons of hockey, great music to choose from, talk shows etc etc etc. And it's awesome cuz its like tivo/dvr for music..you can fast forward or start a song from the beginning etc. It rocks.

Unfortunately, I dont know much about the other one, only Sirius, but I would def reccomend that. I dont know how much it is in Canada..here I pay 7 bucks a month.

OilersBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:24 PM   #7
OilersBaby
First Line Centre

Exp:

we have sirius and we still get NHL games...so im not sure how that works. i get every oilers game (thats all i care about). i know every flames game is on there too Amazin in the crazy traffic!

Old 11-29-2006, 04:28 PM   #8
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames in 07 View Post
Correct.
Well, not quite correct.

Sirius still has the rights through the end of this season; and XM has them now as well as past this season.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:32 PM   #9
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersBaby View Post
we have sirius and we still get NHL games...so im not sure how that works. i get every oilers game (thats all i care about). i know every flames game is on there too Amazin in the crazy traffic!
I'm not sure if it is this way internationally, but XM signed and exclusive agreement with the NHL that starts in 2007. link(article is dated Sept.12 2005)
Quote:
On Monday, the NHL announced an exclusive 10-year, $100 million agreement with XM Satellite Radio. The network will become the league's exclusive satellite radio broadcast partner in 2007.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:37 PM   #10
Flames in 07
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Well, not quite correct.

Sirius still has the rights through the end of this season; and XM has them now as well as past this season.
I thought the exclusivity starts Jan 1/07, but either way XM is the way to go if it's about hockey. If you need it for the NFL Sirius is your best bet.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:43 PM   #11
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I have Sirius and love it. Big fan of Howard Stern's show and all the other programs on the Stern network, especially Scott Ferall's sports show. Lots of great music stations, as I'm sure XM does as well.

Quote:
Second, I'd like a unit where I can listen at work during the day but convert to something I can listen in the car as well for the drive to/from work. The impression I've always got is you'd have to buy seperate systems to do both - or am I wrong here? An all-in-one portable system would be great. Don't want to spend a tonne - any suggestions on the hardware I should purchase?
Both Sirius and XM have portable handheld units you can purchase and take with you anywhere, I think the cost is somewhere between 300-400 bucks. There are also small boomboxes you can buy for certain types of Sirius units (not sure if XM has these) that lets you just insert the radio into........perfect for camping and such.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:49 PM   #12
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Satellite Radio is worth the money for sure. I have XM and love it (US sub) I have it in my Jeep and rarely turn it off when I'm in it (just to listen to Flames @ 5), also when you have a sub. to XM you get free access to XM Online which you can listen to anywhere, I have it on my work computer and listen to it all day at work. I know Sirius has online as well just not sure how it works or if its extra cash.

There are rumours floating that Sirius wants to buy out XM but from all I have read about it, its basicly a pipe dream and will never happen.

As for content, XM is great, I'm not a Howard Stern fan so there was no attraction to get sirius for him (Opie and Anthony are funny as hell) the music content is for the most part the same, maybe alittle extra here or there but for the most part theyre both same.

Which ever one you deside on you won't be dissapointed, but i suggest XM.

In a related topic I still have my XM Delphi SkiFi for sale, comes with the Home Kit...

Last edited by underGRADFlame; 11-29-2006 at 04:52 PM.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:04 PM   #13
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It all comes down to what personalities you're into. Check out both, decide what you would enjoy more.

Myself, I'm a huge Howard Stern fan, if someone gave me an XM radio I would throw it in the garbage. Too bad about the NHL deal, I heard about that but didn't know the details. Hockey on the radio sucks anyways, get Center Ice.

Quote:
especially Scott Ferall's sports show
That guy is insane, awesome show.
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:45 PM   #14
OilersBaby
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
I'm not sure if it is this way internationally, but XM signed and exclusive agreement with the NHL that starts in 2007. link(article is dated Sept.12 2005)
Oh, I guess according to the article that as of 2007, we wont get NHL on Sirius...that sucks. I know that right now, we dont get MLB on Sirius. Ive had Sirius since 2004 or so (or early 2005)..maybe now it's time for a change if I dont get hockey.....but the MUSIC on Sirius ROCKS! I dunno..tough decision..I already have Center Ice and a DVR so I could record all the games and stick with Sirius.

Does anyone know of the price difference if there is one?

Old 11-29-2006, 06:18 PM   #15
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I can listen to NHL games on Sirius as well.

Haven't done it in forever though.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:52 PM   #16
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've got XM (Canadian sub). There's not as many choices as a US subscription but still enough for me. (Probably 110 channels or so.) XM online is included with your subscription and works very well. I've listened to Sirius quite a bit too (Online and rental cars) and they seem pretty similar in content, music wise, to me.

I do listen to the NHL games while driving and, as others have stated, that will be issue after this season in that Sirius do not have the rights after that time.

XM do have a handheld model that you can transfer between home and car provided you have a home kit. I prefer to use the online service though.
Jagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:05 PM   #17
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

When our department sells satellite radio, we mention the following to customers:

XM - better in urban areas, contracts with NHL, MLB, and FIFA (world cup coverage), portable unit available, home kits/car kits are proprietary with each receiver (Roady XT, SkyFi, Myfi). Cost is $14.99

Sirius - better is rural areas, contract with CFL and NFL, better for talk stations, portable units are available, better for Canadian content (CBC et al.), newest units are no longer proprietary and therefore, only one type of car kit and home kit will be sold. Cost is $14.99 and is available in contracts where if you sign up for one year, you get one month for free. They also offer a lifetime contract for $550.00 (I believe).
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:33 PM   #18
Bench Warmer
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This is kinda what I feared - we are not allowed to listen to radio online at work so I'd need a portable unit I could transfer from the car to the office. That said, I don't want to listen through headphones all day which I assume is how the portable unit works? I was kinda hoping they'd have a setup where you take the receiver out of the car and stick it on a boom-box / speaker type unit (like the ipod 'boom-box' setup is).

Mango - I'm curious, why do you say XM is better for urban and Sirius rural? And I apologize for being daft but what do you mean when you say 'only one type of car kit and home kit will be sold'?
Old 11-29-2006, 07:43 PM   #19
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
Mango - I'm curious, why do you say XM is better for urban and Sirius rural? And I apologize for being daft but what do you mean when you say 'only one type of car kit and home kit will be sold'?
Sirius has moving satellites, while XM has repeaters built in the urban centers of metropolis cities. Both will work in urban and rural, but XM has a slight edge on urban and Sirius has a slight edge on rural.

What Sirius did before was they created various units that would appeal to different markets -

eg. Sportster Reply: allowed you to have a memory function so you could go back and hear something if you had missed it.

If you bought the Sportster Reply and wanted to get a home kit, you would have to specifically buy a home kit made for the Sportster Reply. Instead of having specific home kits and car kits, each of the new units have the same dock.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:47 PM   #20
Bench Warmer
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Sirius has moving satellites, while XM has repeaters built in the urban centers of metropolis cities. Both will work in urban and rural, but XM has a slight edge on urban and Sirius has a slight edge on rural.

What Sirius did before was they created various units that would appeal to different markets -

eg. Sportster Reply: allowed you to have a memory function so you could go back and hear something if you had missed it.

If you bought the Sportster Reply and wanted to get a home kit, you would have to specifically buy a home kit made for the Sportster Reply. Instead of having specific home kits and car kits, each of the new units have the same dock.
Okay - I get it now. So, it sounds like for my needs wanting to dock between car and office, Sirius is probably the way to go (I also live in Saskatchewan - city - but doubt XM would have repeaters here).

Thanks for info all - keep it comin'!