Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2008, 10:12 PM   #1
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:
Default Video Cards.

Ok I'll admit it - I don't know the first thing about upgrading/tinkering with computers.

I'd like a better video card to play some of the higher end games without problem. I'll spend the money (within reason, no 500$ cards for me). I have a Nvidia Geforce 7300 LE right now.

Looking on memory express, I saw this:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX20120(ME).aspx

Wtf does this even mean, are there different makers who make imitation nvidia cards? Or what exactly is the deal here?

So what I'm trying to say is - someone do the work for me. Tell me what the hell I should buy.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:17 PM   #2
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nvidia designs the card and then a bunch of different companies manufacture them.

8800GT or the 9800GTX are probably your best options right now. It's just matter of how much you're willing to spend.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:21 PM   #3
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Just looking at some of the mem x prices - how come the 9600 GT is cheaper than the 8800 GT? I'd assume the 9600 is a better card?
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:14 PM   #4
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
Just looking at some of the mem x prices - how come the 9600 GT is cheaper than the 8800 GT? I'd assume the 9600 is a better card?
8800 GT is the better card. It's the best bang for your buck on the market right now. It should play anything out right now at max or near max settings.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:33 PM   #5
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

For an extra $10 or so, you might as well go with the 8800 GTS if you're willing to go for the 8800 GT (and yes, JayP is correct). From what I hear, eVGA > XFX >> BFG, but I don't think it matters much as they all use the same parts anyways. I've also heard that the oveclocked 8800GT can be super loud (in particular, XFX Alpha Dog), so be careful with that. If you get a non-overclocked one, you can always overclock it yourself if you know what you're doing or are willing to learn.

Last edited by SebC; 05-28-2008 at 11:36 PM.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:18 AM   #6
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Also right now, time becomes a factor in picking up a video card.

The next generation products will be released in June, so all those who are picking up cards now for their GFX fix will probably feel PO'd that if they'd waited just a little bit longer, they could have picked up something more next gen than what they currently have.

Considering all of that...

the 9600 is the main stream part, and is thusly priced cheaper than an 8800, as the equivalent to the 8800 is the 9800, but nvidia hasn't gotten around to releasing a part that's equivalent yet.

Depending on setup, the 9600 will do anywhere from 66% to equal of the 8800gt.

Anyways, by the end of June, both AMD/ATI and Nvidia will have released their next gen parts, the 4850/4870 and the gtx260/gtx280. And the price points on those cards, may fall within that 200-400$ pricepoint that's usually marked for bang for buck.

However, if you are trapped in WinXP world and do not use vista, the latest and greatest may not perform any better at all, and that you may be missing out on the scant features that dx10 provides.
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:29 AM   #7
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best value/performance card at MemEx right now if you don't mind mail in rebates is probably this one if your looking at an nVidia card.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...19634(ME).aspx

As for ATI I have no idea what's the best value/performance card. As someone said, come june ATI and nVidia are releasing new cards if you can wait.
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:12 AM   #8
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliche View Post
Also right now, time becomes a factor in picking up a video card.

The next generation products will be released in June, so all those who are picking up cards now for their GFX fix will probably feel PO'd that if they'd waited just a little bit longer, they could have picked up something more next gen than what they currently have.

Considering all of that...

the 9600 is the main stream part, and is thusly priced cheaper than an 8800, as the equivalent to the 8800 is the 9800, but nvidia hasn't gotten around to releasing a part that's equivalent yet.

Depending on setup, the 9600 will do anywhere from 66% to equal of the 8800gt.

Anyways, by the end of June, both AMD/ATI and Nvidia will have released their next gen parts, the 4850/4870 and the gtx260/gtx280. And the price points on those cards, may fall within that 200-400$ pricepoint that's usually marked for bang for buck.

However, if you are trapped in WinXP world and do not use vista, the latest and greatest may not perform any better at all, and that you may be missing out on the scant features that dx10 provides.
One thing to consider about the new cards is that the nvidia card manufacturers offer trade-up programs. So basically you could buy, say, a 8800GT now. Then next month the new cards come out. Give it a month or two to let the reviews fall into place and see if the general consensus is that it's worth an upgrade. If it is, you simply send your 8800GT back to eVGA, XFX, or BFG and they give you full retail value towards the new card. So essentially you can buy the new card using the 8800GT as a stop gap solution until that point.

From what I can tell, the only real difference between the eVGA, XFX, and BFG cards is the warranties and trade-up programs. If you're going to overclock, only two of them cover that in their warranty (I forget which two, but eVGA is definitely one). The trade-up programs all have different lengths (3-4 months) so look into that if that's an option.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:46 PM   #9
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP View Post
One thing to consider about the new cards is that the nvidia card manufacturers offer trade-up programs. So basically you could buy, say, a 8800GT now. Then next month the new cards come out. Give it a month or two to let the reviews fall into place and see if the general consensus is that it's worth an upgrade. If it is, you simply send your 8800GT back to eVGA, XFX, or BFG and they give you full retail value towards the new card. So essentially you can buy the new card using the 8800GT as a stop gap solution until that point.

From what I can tell, the only real difference between the eVGA, XFX, and BFG cards is the warranties and trade-up programs. If you're going to overclock, only two of them cover that in their warranty (I forget which two, but eVGA is definitely one). The trade-up programs all have different lengths (3-4 months) so look into that if that's an option.
The step-up programs can be a mess since you have to mail them to the U.S. and they get sent back via courier. There were some nightmare stories regarding UPS, etc. early on.

Also, eVGA is the only company with a step-up program. XFX and BFG do not. XFX (my choice) however has double lifetime warranty which eVGA does not provide. BFG just has the regular lifetime warranty.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote