Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2008, 05:43 PM   #21
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it is a residential product, and uses Fiber optics like Verizon's FIOS. I assume it will depend on your area. He got it by them dropping a flyer in his mail when he moved into his new house.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:57 PM   #22
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I wonder if Enmax would ever consider becoming a residential ISP. If you look up their network offerings, they have a huge portion of the city wired up with fiber. Even if they didn't do the last mile into your house, the potential would be there at least for a very comprehensive wimax style wireless rollout, that's for sure.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:39 AM   #23
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
On a related note: I have a friend who is testing some of Telus's new fiberoptic products. They claim 30 MB DL and UL. He says it is pretty insane.
Its the same thing Verizon is doing with its FIOS project.

When I was down in North Carolina it was simply amazing.

When Telus rolls that out to Crescent Heights area in Calgary, I will switch instantaneously. Sorry but when I really need to do something on a Thursday night and I am getting less than 130K down, Shaw can kiss my a$$.

I would already be with Telus if they didnt require a landline for their setup.

As per the Shaw vs Telus, for Shaw it really matters where you are. In Edmonton in the University area Shaw is garbage. In Millwoods is fine etc.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:43 AM   #24
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well after a few calls I finally had a tech come out to my place yesterday. Of course the internet was working when he was there so he didn't really want to do anything. I kept asking questions to keep him at my house and checking things. So finally he changed a cable in my house, the only cable that wasn't changed when I moved to my house 6 years ago. That fixed the problem of fuzzy channels on my TV, but without the internet dropping while he as there we didn't know if it fixed the problem I called about, though he seemed to think it solved the problem.

Unfortunately, in Lethbridge the techs only work 9-5. So I have to take time off of work to get the problem solved. Can you guess what happened last night? If you guessed poor internet connectivity then give yourself a pat on the back. So I called and I have to take more time off of work to have a tech come out to fix a problem that likely won't occur while he is at my house.

I've requested that I get a new modem as I feel that my modem is likely faulty. The problems began when I upgraded to extreme high speed and had to get a new modem. If the guy can't find anything wrong on the next service call, and a new modem doesn't solve it then I'll have to switch to Telus. I'm hate Telus, but now I'm beginning to hate Shaw now too.

What sucks and makes the problem even more mysterious is that I'm allegedly getting a great signal. At least the last couple of techs I called have told me that they do see my modem flapping.

Last edited by Buff; 05-28-2008 at 08:45 AM.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:08 PM   #25
ShaolinFlame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
Its the same thing Verizon is doing with its FIOS project.

When I was down in North Carolina it was simply amazing.

When Telus rolls that out to Crescent Heights area in Calgary, I will switch instantaneously. Sorry but when I really need to do something on a Thursday night and I am getting less than 130K down, Shaw can kiss my a$$.

I would already be with Telus if they didnt require a landline for their setup.

As per the Shaw vs Telus, for Shaw it really matters where you are. In Edmonton in the University area Shaw is garbage. In Millwoods is fine etc.
You DO NOT need a functioning land-line to get Telus. All you need is a phone jack in the wall. (And a few weeks of your life to get the tech guy over & doing his job properly - don't get me started).

Worked fine since tho, avg about 350-400 dl.

Flames-Flyers-Stamps-Jays
ShaolinFlame is offline   Reply With Quote