Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 12:30 PM   #2021
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only thing that will have any effect in the U.S. Is an outright ban on most guns, all hand guns, all semi automatics etc. thats never going to happen so screw it, good luck to the U.S.A which I'm beginning to think actually stands for Unlimited Supply of Arseholes.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:54 PM   #2022
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I'm just curious...would that actually DO anything to the majority of the guns in the pile beyond being somewhat symbolic in nature? I look at the pic and see that the steamroller doesn't appear to be sinking into the pile at all.
Would you have the nerve to pull the trigger of a gun that was just ran over by a 15 ton steamroller?
Old 08-29-2015, 05:12 PM   #2023
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Australia did it in 96 why can't the States wrap their heads around this??
http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/201...provide_a.html

Quote:
At the heart of the push was a massive buyback of more than 600,000 semi-automatic shotguns and rifles, or about one-fifth of all firearms in circulation in Australia. The country’s new gun laws prohibited private sales, required that all weapons be individually registered to their owners, and required that gun buyers present a “genuine reason” for needing each weapon at the time of the purchase. (Self-defense did not count.) In the wake of the tragedy, polls showed public support for these measures at upwards of 90 percent.

What happened next has been the subject of several academic studies. Violent crime and gun-related deaths did not come to an end in Australia, of course. But as the Washington Post’s Wonkblog pointed out in August, homicides by firearm plunged 59 percent between 1995 and 2006, with no corresponding increase in non-firearm-related homicides. The drop in suicides by gun was even steeper: 65 percent. Studies found a close correlation between the sharp declines and the gun buybacks. Robberies involving a firearm also dropped significantly. Meanwhile, home invasions did not increase, contrary to fears that firearm ownership is needed to deter such crimes. But here’s the most stunning statistic. In the decade before the Port Arthur massacre, there had been 11 mass shootings in the country. There hasn’t been a single one in Australia since.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 08-29-2015 at 10:19 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2015, 10:05 AM   #2024
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Australia did it in 96 why can't the States wrap their heads around this??
http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/201...provide_a.html
Quote:
In the decade before the Port Arthur massacre, there had been 11 mass shootings in the country. There hasn’t been a single one in Australia since.
Slate should do a better job at fact checking.

October 2002, Monash University: 2 dead, 5 injured.
April 2011, Hectorville siege: 3 dead, 3 injured.
September 2014, Hunt murders: 5 dead.
December 2014, Sydney hostage crisis: 3 dead, 5 injured.

Sydney, Perth and Melbourne all have new special task forces to try and limit the amount of handgun crime committed by gangs in their cities.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:31 PM   #2025
Badger Bob
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

MOD EDIT: We don't want that stuff here. At all.

Last edited by KootenayFlamesFan; 08-30-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:44 PM   #2026
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob View Post
Didn't have to go back very many pages to realize that you liberals & homos had nothing to say about the rainbow flag found.
Wow, you're actually the most hateful person towards the LGBT community on CP, but you fly under the radar because you only come out once every couple of years to spew your unacceptable vitriol

That comment actually disgusts me. That's pure hatred coming from you, and I hope you don't have any family members in the closet, that would be the true tragedy in your awful views.

Last edited by jayswin; 08-30-2015 at 12:46 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2015, 12:44 PM   #2027
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Didn't have to go back very many pages to realize that you liberals & homos had nothing to say about the rainbow flag found.
How far in the closest are you?
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2015, 12:49 PM   #2028
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is ban worthy.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2015, 12:50 PM   #2029
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
Green text?

I have a hard time imagining comments like this could be anything other than attempts at humour.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:52 PM   #2030
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
Green text?

I have a hard time imagining comments like this could be anything other than attempts at humour.
Unfortunately it's real. He has a doozy of a hitchhiking story that he thinks justifies his hate.

Last edited by MrMastodonFarm; 08-30-2015 at 01:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2015, 12:57 PM   #2031
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
Green text?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Unfortunately it's real. He has been dozy of a hitchhiking story that he thinks justifies his hate.
Yeah, I can't remember the exact story, but a gay guy made a pass at him when he was younger and he beat the guy half to death or something, and has hated gay people with a burning passion ever since.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:46 PM   #2032
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Here you go.

Quote:
Before closing, let me share a personal story. Many years ago, a local restaurant hosted a summer picnic at a state park. It was a great event, attended by quite a few friends. The owner of the restaurant also owned other properties. So, his employees were in attendance, including one of the maintenance crew, Tony. My friend, Matt, and I were talking with him and we were even making plans to socialize. Matt wanted a pack of cigarettes. So Tony offered a ride to the convience store, which was only 3 miles away. A LOT of time elapsed. It was getting close to dark and guests were starting to leave the picnic. The bikes weren't locked. So, naturally, we were getting worried. I got both the bikes home and told the others that Matt hadn't returned yet.

Much later, Matt walked home. Turns out that Tony drove them to a secluded area. He put his hand on Matt's lap. Matt said that he wasn't like that, but Tony kept at it. Matt got out of the car. Tony drove back to the park, but sped off after he saw Matt telling some others what had happened. Believe me, a serious beatdown would've ABSOLUTELY been deserved. Of course, you won't read these types of stories in the paper or see a movie with that type of scene. Something tells me that these incidents are not isolated or uncommon either. Anybody could've accepted that this guy was gay, but he pretended otherwise and couldn't accept "no" as answer.

So, forgive me for indifferent to their supposed "rights." Honestly, if this scumbag had found himself a permanent butt buddy, and had their little ceremony it makes no difference to me. I'm just sick of constantly being bombarded with the issues, their victim mentality and their never-ending list of grievances. For those of you in this thread, who are gay. That's fine. Go ahead and be gay. Just don't expect sympathy because your dad didn't accept it or you got made fun of in school.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2015, 02:01 PM   #2033
jayswin

Exp:

Bahaha, I don't know if that's better or worse than I remember it.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:49 PM   #2034
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Considering that a man is more likely to be sexually assaulted by a straight man than a gay man, Badger Bob must really hate straight men...

http://www.secasa.com.au/pages/myths-about-male-rape/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2015, 02:54 PM   #2035
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
Considering that a man is more likely to be sexually assaulted by a straight man than a gay man, Badger Bob must really hate straight men...

http://www.secasa.com.au/pages/myths-about-male-rape/
Oh, I'm certain he's consistent like that.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:57 PM   #2036
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Oh, and at the risk of opening up a can of worms, I'll just look past your hateful, bigoted comment and inquire as to what rainbow flag you're talking about, and it's significance.

Are you saying the guy that killed the two reporters is gay, and it was confirmed to be an attack on them because they were straight and that's why a rainbow flag was found?

This is honestly the first I'm hearing of this.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:59 PM   #2037
jayswin

Exp:

Oh, just looked it up. So there's pictures of the shooter using a rainbow flag as target practice while shooting. I'm surprised us liberals and homo's didn't mention that, either. That seems like a much bigger story than the fact that he shot two colleagues to death live on air.

Oddly enough, as much as you think we care about equality more than anything else on earth, we actually care more about innocent people being gunned down, but great point anyways. Good lord man, are you serious with this ****?

Last edited by jayswin; 08-30-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:03 PM   #2038
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

From the article Bob linked:

"Nearly all the decline in the firearm homicide rate took place in the 1990s; the downward trend stopped in 2001 and resumed slowly in 2007. ... Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall also dropped in the 1990s before declining more slowly from 2000 to 2010, then ticked up in 2011. ... gun suicides now account for six-in-ten firearms deaths, the highest share since at least 1981. ... Compared with other developed nations, the U.S. has a higher homicide rate and higher rates of gun ownership, but not higher rates for all other crimes."

While a decrease in gun-violence is real, marked, and important, it is not the end of the story.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:50 PM   #2039
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
Isn't US gun violence down in the past 20 years?
Down all violence , as are all countries the took lead out of their gasoline.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:28 PM   #2040
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weren't gun buyback programs insanely successful? Maybe start with that.
Closed Thread