Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 04-21-2017, 10:05 AM   #21
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

I lived in southwood when they started the pilot project and am very happy to see it expanded city wide. I was skeptical at first of how much waste would be reduced, but this significantly reduces the amount of garbage going into landfills. Since moving to a new community that doesn't have the program our black bin went from not being full every 2 weeks to being full in less than a week.

For those concerned about where to put the 3rd bin, the green bin takes up about half the space of the blue or black bins.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:07 AM   #22
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought they were talking about making the green bin as big as the blue becuase the pilot program found it was to small.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:19 AM   #23
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I thought they were talking about making the green bin as big as the blue becuase the pilot program found it was to small.
I hadn't heard that, I hope it's not the case though. In the summer the bin is too small if you use it for yard maintenance waste, but I think the better solution to that is to use compostable yard waste bags since even a regular sized bin isn't large enough even if you only have a an average sized yard.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:20 AM   #24
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Correct. It will be as big as the blue bin.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KevanGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 10:24 AM   #25
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanGuy View Post
Correct. It will be as big as the blue bin.
That's disappointing, although I guess it does save you money on yard waste bags.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:28 AM   #26
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find that I rarely need to put my black bin out anyway, and this is before the green bins will reduce even further what I need to put into it. I can easily go two weeks for the black bin, and could probably do 3 to 4 in a pinch depending on forgetfulness and/or laziness.

The only exception might have been when my kid was at diaper age. Kids crap. A lot.

Recycling, on the other hand, needs to go out every 1-2 weeks for sure.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:31 AM   #27
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
On topic, that won't happen. My city has green bins and blue bags and idiots still throw out a lot of crap. It's shocking.
In Chestermere rather than a bin for garbage, they require that garbage be thrown out in a clear garbage bag so they can see what's in it. If a place throws out stuff that should be either in compost or in recycle then they'll get a note for a reminder, and I think eventually a fine or they won't pick it up or something.

It took a bit of adjusting when they rolled out the blue and green bins for recycle and compost here, but I find it effective enough that I only have to put out a garbage bag once every other week.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:32 AM   #28
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
With the green bin fee? Savings from less garbage collection? I'm saying it should be one waste collection fee instead of 3. Balance it amongst all collection, and savings form one can cover the other. I'd love to see the books on this since the beginning of the blue bins when our waste collecting fees doubled. Now they go up a third again. Is that covering the cost, or going to general revenue? Or do we just accept yet another fee?
You're paying for truck trips.

When the blue bin came out, the amount of trucks hitting your house per week doubled.

I think for this program, the black bin only goes every other week now, and I'm not sure if it is the same for the green bin. If so, I don't see much need for a fee besides a slight amount required to operate the compost facility.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:02 AM   #29
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

We're a family of four and really only have to put our black cart out every other week most of the time so the timing of pickups really wont affect us much. But if the green bins are the same size as the blue and black that will be a little disappointing, the ones they show on the news are only half the size or so.

My biggest issue I think I have is with the staggered days for collection. I can live with the blue/green pickup every week - that's what happens now. What will be a pain is the black bin pickup being every week AND on a different day of the week than the others. I guess logistically I see the reasoning but the damn bins take up a lot of room on the street and basically eliminate on street parking during pick up days. This schedule now adds another day of not being able to park on your street every other week.

And naturally the drop off dates for the bins are right when we will be away on vacation so we will have to ask a neighbor to take everything up to the house when the City drops it off.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:07 AM   #30
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you can't remember when pick ups are just sign up for the reminders? You can get them multiple ways (email, text, twitter, phone call, calendar).
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #31
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
We're a family of four and really only have to put our black cart out every other week most of the time so the timing of pickups really wont affect us much. But if the green bins are the same size as the blue and black that will be a little disappointing, the ones they show on the news are only half the size or so.

My biggest issue I think I have is with the staggered days for collection. I can live with the blue/green pickup every week - that's what happens now. What will be a pain is the black bin pickup being every week AND on a different day of the week than the others. I guess logistically I see the reasoning but the damn bins take up a lot of room on the street and basically eliminate on street parking during pick up days. This schedule now adds another day of not being able to park on your street every other week.

And naturally the drop off dates for the bins are right when we will be away on vacation so we will have to ask a neighbor to take everything up to the house when the City drops it off.
Front garages? If so why not just put the bins on the street in front of the driveway?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:10 PM   #32
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Correct, front garages. Issue there is then you need to pull out of the driveway, find somewhere to park, go back and drag all the bins out. Then when you get home you need to park (assuming there is a spot on the street), move the bins, then pull into your driveway.

That sounds lazy I know but it's nice to put the bins out first, then just leave. Or come home and park, then go move everything back up to your house.

Frankly I'd be okay with it all if they did all the collections on the same day and just minimized the numbers of days the street was disrupted.

First world problems I suppose....
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:13 PM   #33
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I don't know how anyone can forget to put their bins out. There's got to be at least 3-4-5-6-7 old people or OCD people on every street that has their bins out at 4pm the day before. You can't come home from work without noticing that tomorrow is garbage day.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 02:09 PM   #34
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
I don't know how anyone can forget to put their bins out. There's got to be at least 3-4-5-6-7 old people or OCD people on every street that has their bins out at 4pm the day before. You can't come home from work without noticing that tomorrow is garbage day.
What if: I use the front door and the bins are in the alley?
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jwslam For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 02:12 PM   #35
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:13 PM   #36
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If your bins are already in the alley would they not be picked up without you doing anything?
Old 04-21-2017, 02:15 PM   #37
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Set a recurring reminder in your phone?
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:24 PM   #38
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My problem is noticing, telling myself I'll do it later, having dinner, taking pants off, etc. and then remembering again right before bed.

But then I just skip a week because I actually think that garbage/recycling pickup is too frequent anyway.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:25 PM   #39
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Set a recurring reminder in your phone?
Look, I pay good money for the NDP to babysit me. This is the kind of thing they should be doing. Coming to my door, weekly, with friendly reminder to put my bin out. Is that to much to ask?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 02:28 PM   #40
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Look, I pay good money for the NDP to babysit me. This is the kind of thing they should be doing. Coming to my door, weekly, with friendly reminder to put my bin out. Is that to much to ask?
Well garbage pick up is a civic issue...This is a Spendshi issue, not NDP.

Also go to the city of Calgary site and sign up for updates.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post: