Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2024, 02:16 PM   #11941
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
That was pretty light., can't I take a little shot at him?
You've gone much harder after the politicians you don't like; I'm sure you can handle that tiny jab.
It's just weird to say it like Trudeau is personally hunting for dollars to raid.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 02:20 PM   #11942
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Is price growth the only metric that can be used to decide whether or not housing is a problem?

Availability?
Housing starts?
Rental availability?
Rental pricing?

Modest by historical standards and yet everyone is up in arms about it. I suppose one can manipulate the data in multiple ways to suggest that the reality on the ground is not actually what people say it is.
I’d suspect lots of people up in arms about housing costs are existing home owners whose interest rates went up. Using what people are up in arms about as a barometer for what is happening is flawed.

In general people are angry that things cost more
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 02:44 PM   #11943
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's just weird to say it like Trudeau is personally hunting for dollars to raid.
The way the capital gains tax was structured with the phase in time was absolutely designed to get corporations to realize gains this year so the Liberals can report a lower deficit before the election.

He probably delegated the hunting to Freeland but they were absolutely looking for dollars to raid before an election where their management of the economy is easily their biggest electoral weakness.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 02:55 PM   #11944
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzy View Post
If the company you hold shares in, is a private Canadian company, you will qualify for capital gains exemption which is currently at $1,016,836. Anything above that you will pay capital gains tax on.
That is good then. If things go well enough that my capital gain is greater than that then I can afford to pay a bit of tax on the excess
Ashartus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 09:30 PM   #11945
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Poilievre told a sovereign citizen convoy group camped out at the Nova Scotia / New Brunswick group that he saw them on the side of the highway as he was driving back from PEI and decided to stop and “say hello.”

“Everyone’s happy with what you’re doing,” Poilievre says.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 11:38 PM   #11946
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/doct...ange-1.6857958

The Canadian Medical Association is asking the federal government to reconsider its proposed changes to capital gains taxation, arguing they will affect doctors' retirement savings.

Ross argues the change could also affect recruitment and retention of physicians in Canada.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/doc...ains-1.7181885

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is rejecting a call from some doctors for his government to reconsider its planned capital gains tax hike.

The doctors warn that the tax change could undermine efforts to recruit and retain physicians in Canada and threaten the stability of the health-care system.

Canada is facing a severe doctor shortage.

Former Liberal finance minister Bill Morneau also criticized the proposed changes to capital gains last week, saying it's "clearly a negative to our long-term goal, which is growth in the economy, productive growth and investments."

"This was very clearly something that, while I was there, we resisted. We resisted it for a very specific reason — we were concerned about the growth of the country,"
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 09:53 AM   #11947
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Recruiting and retention of doctors, long term health and growth of the economy, those things aren't important. Having a short term boost in revenue to mask the size of the deficit heading into an election year, that's what's important.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 09:59 AM   #11948
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/doct...ange-1.6857958

The Canadian Medical Association is asking the federal government to reconsider its proposed changes to capital gains taxation, arguing they will affect doctors' retirement savings.

Ross argues the change could also affect recruitment and retention of physicians in Canada.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/doc...ains-1.7181885

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is rejecting a call from some doctors for his government to reconsider its planned capital gains tax hike.

The doctors warn that the tax change could undermine efforts to recruit and retain physicians in Canada and threaten the stability of the health-care system.

Canada is facing a severe doctor shortage.

Former Liberal finance minister Bill Morneau also criticized the proposed changes to capital gains last week, saying it's "clearly a negative to our long-term goal, which is growth in the economy, productive growth and investments."

"This was very clearly something that, while I was there, we resisted. We resisted it for a very specific reason — we were concerned about the growth of the country,"
If we need to pay doctors more we should pay doctors more. We shouldn’t use the tax system to accommodate a small group of people. A tax system applies to all citicizens not just the small group.

If we have a Doctor shortage we should train more Doctors and coercively limit their ability to move.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 01:27 PM   #11949
T-Dog
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
Poilievre told a sovereign citizen convoy group camped out at the Nova Scotia / New Brunswick group that he saw them on the side of the highway as he was driving back from PEI and decided to stop and “say hello.”

“Everyone’s happy with what you’re doing,” Poilievre says.
I just saw this on the news. I’ve always leaned right, but this was a good reminder of why I could never vote for PP’s party. It makes no sense to me why he would cozy up to the nuts and amplify their voice.
T-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to T-Dog For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 01:35 PM   #11950
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Because he's a narcissist who craves approval.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 01:41 PM   #11951
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Dog View Post
I just saw this on the news. I’ve always leaned right, but this was a good reminder of why I could never vote for PP’s party. It makes no sense to me why he would cozy up to the nuts and amplify their voice.
They have a big lead, but I suspect this stuff will really hurt the CPC once election time rolls around. The majority of Canadians can't stand the convoy idiots, so running attack ads that constantly show PP supporting them could make a dent in their lead.

Might not be enough to stave off giving them the most seats, but could be enough to keep them in a minority position or ripe for another coalition.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 01:45 PM   #11952
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Recruiting and retention of doctors, long term health and growth of the economy, those things aren't important. Having a short term boost in revenue to mask the size of the deficit heading into an election year, that's what's important.
The current Liberals have governed on robin hood ideologies that they're only taking money from the super rich to help everyone else; and they're supporters eat it up with glee.
The reality is they're taking from doctors, business owners, everyday middle class who have invested for their retirement.
It's no surprise economic investment and entrepreneurial endeavour are dying in this country and people are shifting to supporting the Conservatives (reluctantly).

We need a return to a Liberal party who understands economics, support ambition, and can still balance that with social support systems. Not one that makes anyone who's a landlord or owns a business to be a pure evil scapegoat.
The centre of this country has been vacated and now we'll get PP as a consequence.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 01:54 PM   #11953
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone who believes PP is going to balance the budget is deluding themselves. Harper only produced a balanced budget when he screwed over Canadians by selling GM shares at a loss, and there's nothing in PP's rhetoric that suggests he's a better economic steward than Harper or Trudeau.

We'll get the usual cuts to revenue streams and cuts/privatization of social services that happens under all conservative governments, with the added bonus of cozying up to bigots and fascists.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 02:47 PM   #11954
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Anyone who believes PP is going to balance the budget is deluding themselves. Harper only produced a balanced budget when he screwed over Canadians by selling GM shares at a loss, and there's nothing in PP's rhetoric that suggests he's a better economic steward than Harper or Trudeau.

We'll get the usual cuts to revenue streams and cuts/privatization of social services that happens under all conservative governments, with the added bonus of cozying up to bigots and fascists.
All probably true, but people will give him a chance anyway because they can't stand more of the current regime and PM.

It's easier for a dissatisfied populous to vote for change then more of the same.
It's a real shame the Liberal won't sack JT and give us a feasible option in his place.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 02:48 PM   #11955
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

No takesies backsies unfortunately
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 03:11 PM   #11956
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I also saw where the convoy clowns dont even like PP but view him as a useful idiot. I believe they also referred to him as a weasel.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 03:27 PM   #11957
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
All probably true, but people will give him a chance anyway because they can't stand more of the current regime and PM.

It's easier for a dissatisfied populous to vote for change then more of the same.
It's a real shame the Liberal won't sack JT and give us a feasible option in his place.
I mean this is a false dilemma in a country that has a viable third party. You can vote against Trudeau and also not vote for right-wing nutjob.
Old 04-24-2024, 04:11 PM   #11958
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post

While that all may be true, at this point it is far more likely that any party including the NDP is going to run a better 'budget' than the dumpster fire that is in power.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 06:47 PM   #11959
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

How terrible is the Republican Party of Canada? Justin blackface is top 5 for worst prime minister ever, and he is still light years than the deplorables the Repubs trot out every election. pathetic.
Old 04-24-2024, 07:02 PM   #11960
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
While that all may be true, at this point it is far more likely that any party including the NDP is going to run a better 'budget' than the dumpster fire that is in power.
On a provincial level, it seems like the NDP have been largely better at running things than their conservative counterparts. You would obviously know better than I would when it comes to Manitoba, but it seems like BC and Manitoba (despite having their own problems) aren't the trainwrecks of right-wing nonsense that Alberta and Saskatchewan are at the moment.