Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-29-2017, 04:45 PM   #4721
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
*Glorious top 10 list of Oiler failures.
Post of the year. Give that man the $10 thousand dollars.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:07 PM   #4722
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

wrong thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 03-29-2017, 05:16 PM   #4723
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer View Post

As for Talbot carrying the team and being over played, I can't seem to recall Flames fans stating that Kiper was overplayed between 2005-2011 when he played a minimum of 71 games a year
Just because you can't recall it doesn't mean it didn't happen.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:24 PM   #4724
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

What? Who is this Elmer bandwagon clown? Eleventy years later, he (or rather, it) decides to come here and start posting again, and trying to convince a rival fanbase that the Oilers are some great team once again to be feared? Seriously?

Oilerfan #81 has always posted here during that time, and on top of that, was a valuable member of this forum. Though he doesn't post as often any longer, he was always here.

Ruttiger, Stang, heck even everyone's most annoying troll AlbertaOiler72 have been around here quite a lot. There's probably 10 good posters that make this thread interesting, and contribute regularly to the forum - and most importantly, were longtime loyal Oiler fans (how misplaced this loyalty notwithstanding ), but the last thing I will be paying heed to is the onrush of no-good, bandwagon Oiler fans who have just newly discovered their love for that sad-sack of a team and coming in droves to gloat, troll and (worst of all) try to 'teach' us about their glorious (crappy) team.

I will just start putting all you guys on ignore one by one as you come in. The existing members that have come on here through the years where the Oilers were laughing stock after laughing stock - you guys deserve some credit for that. Kudos to you guys for finally having a team you can cheer for this late in the season.

To all newcomers and resurrected accounts - stick with the Oilers forums where your bandwagon, smug and lack of insight butts belong.

I can respect the guys who have been here for a long time, and through no sane reason continued to come here and post (and often, contribute well). You guys are real fans, though I absolutely hate your team and still say they suck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 05:29 PM   #4725
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Also, Andrew Ference's "It's not as bad as I was told" comment about the Oilers locker room culture, where everyone and their dog knew he was really saying "it's worse than I feared".
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 05:34 PM   #4726
Elmer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
What? Who is this Elmer bandwagon clown? Eleventy years later, he (or rather, it) decides to come here and start posting again, and trying to convince a rival fanbase that the Oilers are some great team once again to be feared? Seriously?

Oilerfan #81 has always posted here during that time, and on top of that, was a valuable member of this forum. Though he doesn't post as often any longer, he was always here.

Ruttiger, Stang, heck even everyone's most annoying troll AlbertaOiler72 have been around here quite a lot. There's probably 10 good posters that make this thread interesting, and contribute regularly to the forum - and most importantly, were longtime loyal Oiler fans (how misplaced this loyalty notwithstanding ), but the last thing I will be paying heed to is the onrush of no-good, bandwagon Oiler fans who have just newly discovered their love for that sad-sack of a team and coming in droves to gloat, troll and (worst of all) try to 'teach' us about their glorious (crappy) team.

I will just start putting all you guys on ignore one by one as you come in. The existing members that have come on here through the years where the Oilers were laughing stock after laughing stock - you guys deserve some credit for that. Kudos to you guys for finally having a team you can cheer for this late in the season.

To all newcomers and resurrected accounts - stick with the Oilers forums where your bandwagon, smug and lack of insight butts belong.

I can respect the guys who have been here for a long time, and through no sane reason continued to come here and post (and often, contribute well). You guys are real fans, though I absolutely hate your team and still say they suck
I've posted on other threads here and PM a few members the last couple years.. but sure go with that. Not once today have I bragged about edmonton just defended their record and stated I enjoy reading the echo chamber bias in this thread... responses like this are the main reason I have never bother posting previously but sure rant away..
Old 03-29-2017, 05:50 PM   #4727
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be fair, #5 Mandel did call Katz bluff and Katz apologized.

Mandel was negotiating against himself publically and wanted an infrastructure project he could attach his legacy to, so he caved, but it wasn't because of the threat. Also don't forget there was an "open" competition to build a new building across the street from Rogers where the City would agree to lease long term to the winning bidder. Shockingly Katz won the bid, got to build the building.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:53 PM   #4728
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've posted on other threads here and PM a few members the last couple years.. but sure go with that. Not once today have I bragged about edmonton just defended their record and stated I enjoy reading the echo chamber bias in this thread... responses like this are the main reason I have never bother posting previously but sure rant away..
However, you suddenly felt the need to start posting here.. why exactly? If you have been following this thread (or the previous iterations) at all over the years, there is nothing really new, except more examples (like some of the top 10 moments posted earlier) as they arise.

You can dismiss me as nothing more than just a fan that is doing nothing more than unfairly ranting and foaming at the mouth, but that is simply not the case. Lots of old accounts (just like you) are about to come out of the woodwork now that the Oilers' record is no longer a monumental embarrassment, and a whole rash of new ones will spring up. I just find it 'humorously annoying' (if such a thing can be both humorous and annoying at the same time) that a bunch of bandwagon fans have renewed interest in their team to start doing what you are doing.

Carry on, however.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:53 PM   #4729
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've posted on other threads here and PM a few members the last couple years.. but sure go with that.
Before the Oilers clinched you posted twice yesterday, once on St. Patrick's Day, and once in December. Prior to that, you hadn't posted in 10 years.

Source: http://forum.calgarypuck.com/search....archid=8692282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 05:57 PM   #4730
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

The one silver lining about Edmonton making the playoffs is they CANNOT win another god damn lottery now.

Remember they were very close to winning last year's lottery as well and being gifted Laine or Matthews.
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 05:58 PM   #4731
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Before the Oilers clinched you posted twice yesterday, once on St. Patrick's Day, and once in December. Prior to that, you hadn't posted in 10 years.

Source: http://forum.calgarypuck.com/search....archid=8692282
To be fair, he's been busy trying to catch that wascally wabbit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 06:08 PM   #4732
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
When the Islanders finally broke their 10 year playoff drought, TSN did a top 10 list of embarrassing Islander moments from that decade. Yashin, Luongo for Dipietro followed by that contract and so on. It was kind of an homage to how unbelievably poorly that franchise was run, a reminder that it would not be forgotten if you will.

So the question is, what is the oilers top 10 list of historic ineptness for the last 10 years?

10. After going to the cup final, Pronger decides he no longer likes Edmonton and demands a trade. The trade brought back Smid, Lupul, a draft pick that would become Riley Nash, a draft pick that would become Travis Hamonic, and a draft pick that would become Jordan Eberle. Pronger went on to win the cup that year and it marked the beginning of the record 10 year playoff drought.

9. Michael Nylander an Oiler? Kevin Lowe sure thought so. After coming to a handshake agreement, Lowe and co were patiently awaiting the signed contract to be faxed, but were taken unaware when Washington announced that they'd come to an agreement with the silk handed swede. Lowe proclaimed this was an unprecedented act and would look for legal recourse as this influenced their dealings with other FAs. Legal recourse of course told him deals aren't deals until they're signed.

8. Dany Heatley an Oiler? Steve Tambellini sure thought so. After demanding a trade from Ottawa, the sniper was told that a deal had been made. The only thing is... well, it was with Edmonton. Heatley couldn't decide which destination would be worse, Edmonton or Ottawa. The Oilers brass decided to dispense with their pride (or that they had none to begin with) and charm Danny boy, but soon realised they were being used as leverage and Heatley became a Shark.

7. The summer of offer sheets. In 2007, Lowe attempted to lure 2 high profile RFAs via offer sheet. He offered a 7 year, 50 million dollar deal to Vanek, and a 5 year 21 million dollar deal to Dustin Penner. The latter would prove successful, drawing ire from an angry Brian Burke who later would say that he challenged Kevin Lowe to a barn fight. It would not be long before the oilers would regret the Penner deal as he could not regain the form from the beginning of his career with Anaheim, but instead found a new form: round.

6. Under pressure. After being snubbed by Nylander, the oilers decided their big ticket would be offered to Sheldon Sourray. They signed him to a 5 year 27 million dollar deal. Sourray almost immediately reinjured a bad shoulder and spent most of the first year injured. It became obvious that the relationship between team and player was fractured right then and there, as the lumbering dman claimed the injury was caused by Lowe pressuring him to play before he was healed sighting a tough guy mentality. There were suggestions that this attitude effected more than just Sourray, as Tom Renney hinted that he too was pressured to play injured players.

5. Seattle Grungers? In 2012, Darryl Katz took the management team of the Oilers to Seattle 2 months before the drop dead date for an arena deal would hit for city council. The city, who thought they had a deal worked out with Katz, was now dealing with a volatile renegotiation through veiled threats of moving. After being asked to publicly state his new demands, Katz refused but did say that he revised the deal struck earlier that year and no longer saw it as viable. Staring down the barrel of a gun, then mayor Stephen Mandel caved to Katz' demands and signed one of the worst arena/real estate deals with a private entity in Canadian history.

4. Knowing a thing or 2. In a press conference that had everything from contract tampering to a middle aged man melting down on camera, the oilers state of the union and introduction of Mactavish as GM in 2012 epitomised no goodness. In it, Lowe distinguished between fans based on how much they spent on the team, claimed that years of losing were a part of his plan, and that of course, you'd understand if you'd won as much as he has, which you haven't, so shut up. The theme of being above criticism as the worst run franchise in league history was hard to take for a fan base that was in need of competence, but all they saw in front of them was an easily wavered and flustered long time member of the club, the man they lovingly call "keys please".

3. Carry water, chop wood. Dallas Eakins would become a legendary exclamation point on a horrid franchise's struggle to get one single thing right. After firing promising head coach Ralph Kruger over Skype, Mactavish's boldest and oddest move was hiring Marlies coach Dallas Eakins. Miscast from day one, Dallas implemented a no donuts for reporters rule, a roll over like a dog drill, and a do anything but play defense defense. The swarm, as it was known, was responsible for countless, "this guy scored" graphics and embarrassment for a team and fan base that was on the brink of delirium. Jerseys rained down on to the ice and fans lined the walk way at rexall to boo the players to their face.

2. Comrie fiasco. Kevin Lowe had a deal on the table to ship disgruntled local "Star" Mike Comrie to Anaheim in exchange for prospect Corey Perry and a first round draft pick, but there was a catch. Lowe wanted Comrie to pay the team damages for holding out and demanding a trade. He thought the only way to get value for Comrie was for Comrie to pay him 2.5 million dollars out of his own pocket. Rightly, the cheap furniture heir and smurf laughed at this notion and later was traded, free of charge, to Philadelphia for Jeff woywitka, Danny syvret, and Rob Schremp.

1. Over the span of 6 years, the league needed to revise draft lottery rules 2 times. Both in response to one pitiful team's failure to launch despite being given some of the most favorable conditions in sports history. An entire league cringed in 2016, as it nearly had to be changed a third time. Alas, the oilers only accrued 4 1st overall picks over a 6 year span (two were traded, one they wish they still could). But it wasn't until they received a gift that was not only generous, but generational, did they start to see winning as a possiblity. Ryan Strome was the player that the oilers were in line to pick, but on one fateful June evening, to the chagrin of everyone outside Edmonton including the player subject to the lottery itself, Bill Daly held up the golden grease stain, with a pained look that read "it is by the dumbest luck imaginable that you, the worst team to ever grace this league, will crawl out of the hole of self inflicted awfulness to maybe make the playoffs 2 years from now."
Awesome list! I might add Daryl Katz's "Welcome to Edmonton" skit with McDavid at the draft. That was embarrassing to watch.
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 06:09 PM   #4733
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
The one silver lining about Edmonton making the playoffs is they CANNOT win another god damn lottery now.

Remember they were very close to winning last year's lottery as well and being gifted Laine or Matthews.
Totally agree, it would be glorious that they made the playoff, hence missed the lottery and get swept aside in the first round, year after year....
Old 03-29-2017, 06:10 PM   #4734
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:
Icon59 <---- no good!

Riot squads are on stand-by.

http://www.630ched.com/2017/03/29/164947/

Granted, they're not as vicious as Canucks hooligans.

Flames fans are like Woodstock.

Canucks and Oilers are like Altamont.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 06:13 PM   #4735
Elmer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
However, you suddenly felt the need to start posting here.. why exactly? If you have been following this thread (or the previous iterations) at all over the years, there is nothing really new, except more examples (like some of the top 10 moments posted earlier) as they arise.

You can dismiss me as nothing more than just a fan that is doing nothing more than unfairly ranting and foaming at the mouth, but that is simply not the case. Lots of old accounts (just like you) are about to come out of the woodwork now that the Oilers' record is no longer a monumental embarrassment, and a whole rash of new ones will spring up. I just find it 'humorously annoying' (if such a thing can be both humorous and annoying at the same time) that a bunch of bandwagon fans have renewed interest in their team to start doing what you are doing.

Carry on, however.
My posting has zero to do with the Oilers making the playoffs as it was a given for the last few weeks baring a complete meltdown and the kings winning out. The reason I commented was during the broadcast I saw the broadcast schedule for snw and noticed that calgary has 3 2nd galf back to backs in a row and I said to myself the next time I see someone shove that in the oilers face I'm going to bring that up... was the timing bad sure... is anything I've stated in poor taste... no
Old 03-29-2017, 06:20 PM   #4736
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Your problem, Elmer, has nothing to do with poor taste. Your problem is that you have no grasp of the facts, and take it upon yourself to put down those who do know the facts as if they were the delusional ones.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:22 PM   #4737
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Where's that chart with the rested/tired vs. playing rested/tired teams?

Apparently Elmer hasn't seen it.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:24 PM   #4738
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Where's that chart with the rested/tired vs. playing rested/tired teams?

Apparently Elmer hasn't seen it.
Ask and ye shall receive.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cly5whdXIAAH95a.jpg
Old 03-29-2017, 06:37 PM   #4739
Elmer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Your problem, Elmer, has nothing to do with poor taste. Your problem is that you have no grasp of the facts, and take it upon yourself to put down those who do know the facts as if they were the delusional ones.
What facts did I get wrong, honest question? I said Calgary has second least man games lost this year. Stated they have 3 games in a row of back to back second games and my kipper comment which was a subjective statement based on my experience living in Calgary listening to 960 and watching the odd flames game on tv. if you can find a post that shows fans complaining about kipper usage from those years I'll admit I was wrong but that's probably not worth anyone's time to fish up anyways.

Also not sure where I proceeded to put anyone down... except maybe my wife's legs post edmonton move

Last edited by Elmer; 03-29-2017 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:53 PM   #4740
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What facts did I get wrong, honest question? I said Calgary has second least man games lost this year. Stated they have 3 games in a row of back to back second games and my kipper comment which was a subjective statement based on my experience living in Calgary listening to 960 and watching the odd flames game on tv. if you can find a post that shows fans complaining about kipper usage from those years I'll admit I was wrong but that's probably not worth anyone's time to fish up anyways.
Prior to tonight's game, Edmonton will have an 8 game advantage on Calgary , regarding playing tired teams on the end of back to back games.

Back to the drawing board Elmer.

Last edited by timbit; 03-29-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Closed Thread