He is leading the WCHA in points.

Neat player profile video that can't be embedded:
http://www.netnebraska.org/interacti...player-feature
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
Wronskian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

To bad we can't CC jay feaster! Looks like someone we should be looking at.
Wronskian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wronskian View Post
To bad we can't CC jay feaster! Looks like someone we should be looking at.
LoL - not sure if serious, but the Flames have made it a point to scout the NCAA a LOT more these past couple of years, and Feaster has said numerous times how he intends to keep a contract spot or two in order to sign one (and he did last year as well). I am sure they have scouted Walters quite a bit - them, and probably every other team in the NHL.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
Miniac
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He plays on the wing?
Miniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:50 PM   #5
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ I'm glad they are scouting the NCAA more, and it's good that they are making efforts to improve the prospect base.

I just hope they don't sign one or two college free agents just for the sake of signing them.

They went out and signed Lamb and Eddy last off-season, and a year later I'm kinda trying to figure out why.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
^^^ I'm glad they are scouting the NCAA more, and it's good that they are making efforts to improve the prospect base.

I just hope they don't sign one or two college free agents just for the sake of signing them.

They went out and signed Lamb and Eddy last off-season, and a year later I'm kinda trying to figure out why.
That's the deal with these kids, most will bust, though I think Lamb has been good
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #7
Tilley
Retired Aksarben Correspondent

Exp:

Quote:
Lamb has been a nice addition to the blueline. If he continues to develop, he would be a nice depth defenceman for the Flames, like an Andrew Ference with a little more offensive upside.

Eddy has had a hard time sticking in the lineup. To find one good free agent per year is huge plus, particularly in an organization that is trying to add to its prospect base.

I'm hopeful that with the Flames' struggles this year college free agents look at this team as a good opportunity to get to the NHL quickly (like the Leafs with Bozak, for example).
Tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniac View Post
He plays on the wing?
yeah he is a LW also the UNO website lists him at 196 lbs
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #9
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
That's the deal with these kids, most will bust, though I think Lamb has been good
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilley View Post
Lamb has been a nice addition to the blueline. If he continues to develop, he would be a nice depth defenceman for the Flames, like an Andrew Ference with a little more offensive upside.

Eddy has had a hard time sticking in the lineup. To find one good free agent per year is huge plus, particularly in an organization that is trying to add to its prospect base.

I'm hopeful that with the Flames' struggles this year college free agents look at this team as a good opportunity to get to the NHL quickly (like the Leafs with Bozak, for example).

I guess by going from regular Heat watchers feedback, Lamb has shown improvements, hopefully that continues. He has NHL size, and is an ok skater by all accounts, plus D men with right handed shots are few and far between in the Flames system.

I just hope now that the Flames are putting more effort into the NCAA route, that they can start reeling in guys who will have more of an impact a lot sooner, as opposed to these project type college free agents who are long shots to even make the NHL.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #10
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess by going from regular Heat watchers feedback, Lamb has shown improvements, hopefully that continues. He has NHL size, and is an ok skater by all accounts, plus D men with right handed shots are few and far between in the Flames system.

I just hope now that the Flames are putting more effort into the NCAA route, that they can start reeling in guys who will have more of an impact a lot sooner, as opposed to these project type college free agents who are long shots to even make the NHL.
that is why Feaster has preached the importance of have some contract space. The better UFAs sign in April; by the time summer rolls around, you are left with Lamb and Eddy type projects

Brown was probably the player most teams wanted. He was likely on the Lightning opening day roster if he didn't break his collarbone

Last edited by Canada 02; 02-19-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #11
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Which NHL training camps has he attended? Those teams usually have the upper hand in signing these guys.

The guys Feaster has given contracts to so far are Eddy, Lamb, Martin, and Elson. Very underwhelming
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #12
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Which NHL training camps has he attended? Those teams usually have the upper hand in signing these guys.
Bingo. Of all the solid looking college free agents that sure loss has profiled in this forum recently, I don't think a single one of them has attended a Flames camp in the past.

Probably not going to land a single one of them.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I don't know.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #13
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bingo. Of all the solid looking college free agents that sure loss has profiled in this forum recently, I don't think a single one of them has attended a Flames camp in the past.

Probably not going to land a single one of them.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I don't know.
inviting players to development camp helps establish a relationship, but neither Lamb nor Eddy attended Flames camp the year prior to their signing. Similarly, JT Brown didn't attend Lightning camp nor did Torey Krug attend the Bruins camp
The Following User Says Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #14
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
inviting players to development camp helps establish a relationship, but neither Lamb nor Eddy attended Flames camp the year prior to their signing. Similarly, JT Brown didn't attend Lightning camp nor did Torey Krug attend the Bruins camp
Good to know. I'll keep my fingers crossed in hopes that management can go out snag the Flames a couple solid future pieces out of the college ranks, this year.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #15
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

the flip side is many assume that Dan Dekeyser is going to Detroit because he's from Michigan, and has attended the Red Wings camp in the past; nevertheless, he likely get 30 offers
Old 02-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #16
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see a whole lot in those videos, so it's hard to judge what kind of skills he has.

All those goals he scored are goals that Tim Jackman or Blake Comeau could have scored (ok, maybe not those, but you get my point, right spot, right time, bad goaltending).

What are his real skills?
Old 02-19-2013, 11:05 PM   #17
GettinIggyWithIt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I don't see a whole lot in those videos, so it's hard to judge what kind of skills he has.

All those goals he scored are goals that Tim Jackman or Blake Comeau could have scored (ok, maybe not those, but you get my point, right spot, right time, bad goaltending).

What are his real skills?
I was thinking the exact same thing. Based on these videos, I wouldn't be tripping over myself to offer him a contract. There's nothing special or significant about his play that stands out based on them, so I'd need to see much more to evaluate his game.

But maybe someone else has much more insight into this guy?
GettinIggyWithIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #18
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Another thing to consider is signing guys like Lamb and Eddy also establishes Calgary as a team that is willing to give college guys a chance. I remember Feaster at one point saying that some of the higher profile free agents were concerned that in the past the Flames weren't a team that pursued a lot of guys who went the college route, and they were unsure what kind of opportunities they could expect.
Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goodlad For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodlad View Post
Another thing to consider is signing guys like Lamb and Eddy also establishes Calgary as a team that is willing to give college guys a chance. I remember Feaster at one point saying that some of the higher profile free agents were concerned that in the past the Flames weren't a team that pursued a lot of guys who went the college route, and they were unsure what kind of opportunities they could expect.
Well I don't know how much of an opportunity has really be given to either guy. Eddy has spent most his time in the ECHL and Lamb has only recently had more ice time.

It's not good enough to give an opportunity to sign, as a franchise you have to show that you have patience for young players and will let them develop and make mistakes. The Heat have not shown that patience nor development track record to attract the top free agents.

I know if it were my son, I'd tell him to stay cler of the Flames organization. Let's also face it, I doubt Eddy and Lamb had much interest from other teams, they really aren't comparable to the good ufa prospects.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #20
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Walters is #1 on CBSsports Hobey Baker watch over Johnny Gaudreau this week:
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...-watch-week-18
Quote:
His 45 points are tied for the national lead, and 35 of those have come in arguably the toughest conference in the country. Fourteen of Walters' 19 goals have come in the WCHA, which has been an absolute grind for every team. The Mavericks are just a point out of first place in the conference, and Walters is a huge reason why. This season has been simply remarkable for Walters, who was a relative unknown coming into his junior campaign. He is just three points shy of eclipsing his scoring totals for his freshman and sophomore seasons combined.