Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-31-2013, 12:43 AM   #1
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:
Question Which Flames goalie prospect are you most excited about?

Fairly basic question. I've been interested in hearing CP's opinion on who they're most excited about among the Flames goaltending prospects. Yes, I know they're hard to project, but right now who excites you the most?

The interesting part of this question is that they each play in a different league, so I'll be interested to see how that factors into everyones' answer.

There are basically three goalie prospects in the system right now: Joni Ortio, Laurent Brossoit and Jon Gillies. I don't know if we can consider Karri Ramo a prospect, so for argument's sake, let's not include him.

Joni Ortio, HIFK Helsinki (21 years old):

2012-13 stats: 2.35 GAA (8th), 0.919 SV% (8th), 3 shutouts, 18-16-7.

Laurent Brossoit, Edmonton Oil Kings (19 years old):

2012-13 stats: 2.20 GAA (3rd), 0.921 SV% (4th), 2 shutouts, 22-6-5.

Jon Gillies, Providence College Friars (19 years old):

2012-13 stats: 2.20 GAA (3rd), 0.926 SV% (1st), 3 shutouts, 10-8-3
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:44 AM   #2
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gillies.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:45 AM   #3
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Gillies
Old 01-31-2013, 01:38 AM   #4
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gillies. Big guy with great mobility so far. By the time he gets to the big leagues, Kipper is gonna be the Flames goalie coach lol.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:54 AM   #5
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

None of the above.

Irving and Ramo for me.

It's too hard to get excited about anyone until they are NHL ready when it involves goaltenders. Irving and Ramo are the present and very near future so that's who I will get excited about.

In 3 years or so maybe it will be Brossoit or Ortio and 3 years after that maybe it will be Gillies.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:28 AM   #6
Stampede2TheCup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Gillies. I like all of them but I've been very impressed with what I've seen from him. He was very good technically, seemed very cool-headed and didn't show nerves on the bigger stage at WJC, and uses his size really well. On top of being so big he is still very athletic when a big save is needed.
Stampede2TheCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:39 AM   #7
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gillies, with Brossoit close behind.
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:26 AM   #8
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Irving and Ramo for me.
Ramo isn't a prospect. He's 27 and has 200 some professional games. He pretty well has next year to prove he can bring it.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:11 AM   #9
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tough call for me. What is not to like about all 3? I think they will change season-to-season.

I will go against the grain and say Ortio. Cool name, and apparently plays on a bad team getting a ton of work (though the same is also 100% for Gillies).

I don't actually know who to rank. I guess Ortio sees better quality of shots at this point, so I am inclined to SLIGHTLY more excited about him.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:16 AM   #10
Mitch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Gillies
Ortio
Brossoit

In order for me.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:27 AM   #11
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not really excited about any of them. Goalies are far too difficult to project. Anyone of them could fall off the map in a single season no matter how well they're doing right now. All I know is that a team always needs to have a bunch of good goalie prospects just for that reason, and the situation looks okay for the Flames in that regard.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:55 AM   #12
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gillies. Considering he's a freshman on a young, unexperienced team in the NCAA, his numbers are simply fantastic. I think no one expected him to go there and impress right from the get-go, but he's having a great year in Providence and his WJC experience surely was a boost for the future too. Should be the US starter next year. Really athletic kid for that size.

Brossoit is a close second. Don't know too much about Ortio.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:38 AM   #13
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard to get excited when they're years out, but here's my general opinion:

1) Jon Gillies. Big man, good fundamentals. I've liked him before he was drafted (had him pegged as a player I'd love to take in the top 60. 75 for the Flames was a steal in my mind). Just needs to develop some more effective puck control, but it's looking better through his games at Providence. Flames have a great record with 3rd round picks, and I'm hoping Gillies is more of the same. Compare him to Anthony Stolarz, a similar big, raw butterfly goaltender from the draft, and Gillies is miles ahead.
2) Laurent Brossoit. Solid technique, though he drops a bit early. Some other people I've talked to have mentioned that a lot of his game is mental - if he's not rattled by an early soft goal, it's all good for him. If he is, the floodgates open. I haven't seen it myself (only seen him twice live), but if that comes around, I really like his chances.
3) Joni Ortio. I honestly don't know much about his Europe play. I just know he's got some problems and in Abbotsford was scrambling a bit. He plays well on a bad team, so if his fundamental technique is getting worked on, he could be a decent player.

Last edited by kirant; 01-31-2013 at 09:46 AM.
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:47 AM   #14
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me it's Brossoit. WHL playoff MVP and his technical skills are as good as any goaltender in the CHL right now.

He still has a few years to go, but hopefully he gets a good 30+ games with the Heat next year and can continue to improve his consistency.

He's also a guy that that knows the right things to say and I've heard is a great teammate. No drama, just hockey.

Last edited by Ashasx; 01-31-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

From what I've seen of Ortio in the world juniors a few years ago, I think he was a very decent goalie, with good lateral movement and positioning. However, at that time, I believe the knock on him was losing the puck in goal mouth scrambles, and doesn't react quickly enough to find and cover the puck.

If he worked on that in the Finnish league, and is able to find the puck in those kinds of crowds in front of him, then I think he could carve out a very nice career for himself.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #16
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

1) Gillies
2) Brossoit

Both have more than enough potential to be an NHL #1

For those that say Gillies is years away (one poster said 6), yes goalies typically take longer to develop, however Gillies has the size and (apparently) the maturity to suggest he will not take that long.

The way he has been lighting up the NCAA since game one of his rookie campaign suggests an ability to jump levels (whereas some prople require acclamation time at each level). Also, the fact that he is 6'5" and very tecnically sound for his age, suggests to me that he is more likely to be 2-3 years away than he is to being 5-6 years away.

Brossoit seems to be more about confidence and as a result, he will likely take a more traditional, couple-years-at-eash-level type of progression.

But it would not surprise me in the slightest if Gillies jumps right into the NHL. I believe he is going to be a star.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:57 AM   #17
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Ortio because he is putting up solid numbers, in a men's pro league, on a less than stellar team. He also has the "Finnish" factor, so to speak, where as that country seems to produce NHL star goalies at an alarming rate.

I like Gillies because he is also putting up unreal numbers as a Freshman on a weaker team. Also, the size factor with him is appealing.

Brossoit by all accounts is a tremendous athlete, with sound technique.

They all have upside, and I'm hoping in time they all develop in NHL quality tenders because the more assets the better.

In the end though, size combined with technique and athleticism give Gillies the edge over the other two IMO.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:13 PM   #18
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Ortio in Finland, despite his successes, I'm wondering if he is still in the Flames plans. It would be interesting to ask Feaster or the asst. GM where he fits in our organization.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:37 PM   #19
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
With Ortio in Finland, despite his successes, I'm wondering if he is still in the Flames plans. It would be interesting to ask Feaster or the asst. GM where he fits in our organization.
Well he still has one more year left on his ELC so there is still time in that regard anyways.

Not sure if we continue to hold his rights after that though. I think we do if we tender him a qualifying offer, ala Ramo with the Bolts. He doesn't have to sign it, and will be free to continue his development in Europe, but the Flames will still hold his rights.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:12 PM   #20
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Gillies then Brossoit.

If Brossoit can sharpen his mental aspect of his game like Kipper, then he will be a very good goalie.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flames , goalies , prospects , rookie