Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2012, 11:06 PM   #21
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like no Sieloff.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:16 AM   #22
carom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I will put this in here also. Found this article about Abbotsford Heat's own Steve McCarthy on the iihf website:

Quote:
Steve McCarthy’s career is loaded with connections and parallels to the 2013 IIHF Ice Hockey U20 World Championship in Russia.

That might initially seem like a surprising assertion about a 31-year-old Canadian defenceman who currently plays for the AHL’s Abbotsford Heat.

However, McCarthy’s second straight World Junior appearance in 2001 was in Russia – although it was in Moscow, rather than this year’s site, Ufa. That was also the last time Russia hosted the tournament.

Chosen 23rd overall in the 1999 NHL draft by the Chicago Blackhawks, McCarthy was named the 2001 team captain by coach Stan Butler.
http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ash=c80a6b1ab9
dear god is he 14?
carom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #23
Prufrock
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Wotherspoon and Granlund had a goal each today. Good start for Flame prospects.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #24
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Interesting tweet from Gord Miller, break down of #of prospects in the WJC by NHL team:

Quote:
5-Bos,Cgy,CBJ,Edm,Fla,StL,TB
4-Buf,Chi,Tor
3-Ana,Dal,Det,NYI,Pit,Wsh
2-Car,Min,Mtl,Nas,NYR,SJ,Wpg
1-LA,NJ,Ott,Phi,Phx
0-Col,Van
Obviously some countries (like the US) haven't finalized rosters yet but interesting nonetheless
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #25
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Interesting tweet from Gord Miller, break down of #of prospects in the WJC by NHL team:

Obviously some countries (like the US) haven't finalized rosters yet but interesting nonetheless
haha van!

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:30 AM   #26
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau with the lone assist on the 5th American goal.

edit - it appears it was changed

Last edited by Alberta_Beef; 12-27-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #27
Username: Flames
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Gaudreau with no hat tricks yet. What a bust.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #28
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Sounds like no Sieloff.
bob Mackenzie mentioned they will be announcing the final dman cut tomorrow depending on the game. It sounds like they are still evaluating if they have enough grit on defense.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #29
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sieloff has officially been named to the roster.

Quote:
Rob Simpson ‏@simmerpuck
BREAKING Team USA to keep Patrick Sieloff as 7th D-man. he'll dress. Matt Grzelcyk returns home tmrw. #USAWJC #WJC2013
HighLifeMan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2012, 02:35 AM   #30
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope we get to see Sieloff destroy Yakupov today.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:42 AM   #31
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau had a good first period I thought ... he had a glorious chance after a minute or so, but Makarov had a great save to deny him. Gaudreau got a lot of ice-time and was always noticeable out there. The US took a lot of penalties though and Russia used a PP goal to go ahead.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:49 AM   #32
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I hope we get to see Sieloff destroy Yakupov today.
I was thinking the same thing. Sieloff crushing Nail, Johnny Hockey scoring the winner and Gillies getting some more game action
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #33
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is it just me or is Johnny not playing very well with Miller and Grimaldi? I mean, Gaudreau has been playing well but Grimaldi and Miller kind of stink playing with him. They seem to lose pucks, make bad passes, and generally blunder plays. Gaudreau is looking like he is trying to step up and make more plays himself and just isn't looking as good as he should.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #34
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think Grimaldi has looked the worst out of the 3 but Miller has been better than Gaudreau.

Grimaldi and Gaudreau give the puck away to easily and have both lost just about every physical battle.

Gaudreau needs to be stronger on the puck.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #35
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
I think Grimaldi has looked the worst out of the 3 but Miller has been better than Gaudreau.

Grimaldi and Gaudreau give the puck away to easily and have both lost just about every physical battle.

I think Miller hass been terrible - he is trying to do it all himself and every time he gets the puck he either holds on to it until he is checked or he takes a bad angle shot.

Grimaldi is a puck hog who is simply trying to do it all himself.

More importantly however, their styles don't compliment each other. They are constantly getting in each other's way, none of them can grind, and no one goes to the net (though Gaudreau has started to since no one else is).

Combine their lack of chemistry with the fact that the defensemen are trying to Bobby Orr it every shift, leaving the forwards standing still at the blueline, and you have a recipe for failure.

It's really a shame and I hope they change the lines soon.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #36
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post

That's funny, I have personally thought Miller has been the worst of the bunch. You talk about giving the puck away and yet that is all I see when Miller touches the ice. It is strange considering he is 19 and has experience playing in a professional league this season, but boy has he been underwhelming.

Gaudreau can certainly be overmuscled at times (and he will always have that problem) but I have noticed that he has a very quick and active stick defensively. He has caused more than a few turnovers in both the offensive zone and the neutral zone because of this.

The problem I have with that line is that both Grimaldi and Gaudreau need to have the puck on their sticks to be effective. To this point it has been Grimaldi trying to control the pace of the game, but it is clear he does not posses the iQ or passing ability of Gaudreau which is why he has turned it over so frequently.

They are similar in stature but play completely different games. Grimaldi relies upon his blazing speed and non stop motor to create opportunities, while Gaudreau relies upon his elusiveness and elite hockey iQ.

I know it was reported that Gaudreau and Galchenyuk had difficulties developing chemistry together during summer camp, but on paper they make for a much more dynamic and complimentary pairing.
HighLifeMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #37
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I think Miller hass been terrible - he is trying to do it all himself and every time he gets the puck he either holds on to it until he is checked or he takes a bad angle shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
That's funny, I have personally thought Miller has been the worst of the bunch. You talk about giving the puck away and yet that is all I see when Miller touches the ice. It is strange considering he is 19 and has experience playing in a professional league this season, but boy has he been underwhelming.
I don't think any of the 3 have played well enough that I would argue that much about the ranking of the 3.

I thought Miller showed some ability to keep the puck and go to the net rather than the useless dancing/spinning on the outside that Grimaldi and Gaudreau tend to do before losing the puck to the defenseman easily.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:22 AM   #38
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Sieloff crushing Nail.
So did Sieloff hammer Nail?
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #39
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

From what I've seen, Gaudreau seems to be staying back and playing defence more than he does in BC, ready to cover his linemates' mistakes. He can't create offence when he has to be prepared for turnovers.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #40
Kickazzflames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Actually Johnny is usually hanging up high but after he makes a pass he never gets it back. Miller holds onto the puck for far too long, grimaldi has wheels but he doesnt pass nearly enough. When they all are passing they don't actually look to bad. Its just hard for these kids to resist the chance of a highlight reel goal.
Kickazzflames is offline   Reply With Quote