Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 04-10-2017, 01:59 PM   #81
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yes.
This literally happened yesterday on a WestJet flight from here to Toronto last week. Stuff is going really late at Toronto right now because of construction and a crew over there timed out, so they had to get a couple of flight attendants out there... after they had boarded.

The individuals in this particular United case screwed up, but the notion of an airline bumping people to get a crew/staff out so a further 168 people don't get their entire flight cancelled... yeah it happens everyday. Where's the thread railing Delta about people stranded in ATL over 80 hours last week?

You obviously do not intentionally set up a situation where you have to bump after boarding.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:02 PM   #82
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't care how crazy the passenger was, once you knock him out and drag his limp body down the aisle he suddenly doesn't seem like the crazy one in this situation.

This never should have happened. The passengers should not have been sitting on the plane if the flight was overbooked and they knew people would have to be bumped. Get it sorted at the gate and if a passenger wants to make a scene then they can do it in the terminal where the need to remove them by force isn't necessary in order for the plane to take off.

I also have a huge problem with police/security paid for by the government stepping in and using force to enforce a corporate policy that should have been handled much earlier before anyone stepped on the plane.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:03 PM   #83
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
This literally happened yesterday on a WestJet flight from here to Toronto last week. Stuff is going really late at Toronto right now because of construction
I assume this is why I'm currently sitting in an airport bar in Phoenix instead of spending two more hours driving my rental corvette or sitting by the pool. How are there flight delays for construction? Did they not know construction was happening? Did they not see it coming? How was this not factored into the schedule?

As a matter of fact, this RGMG! Excuse me, I need to visit another thread.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:03 PM   #84
BergyBoy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

There has been a lot of good commentary around this on reddit. Generally from what I read, United is within their right to bump you from the flight, however I do not think they should be able to overbook. But regardless, once he is bumped he has to leave and is technically trespassing. After you have three air marshals tell you that you need to get off, you should probably get off. I believe both sides are in the wrong, and I understand that everyone has important things to do the next day, but he should have just got up and left.
BergyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:06 PM   #85
wontondestruction
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

nm

Last edited by wontondestruction; 04-10-2017 at 02:10 PM.
wontondestruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:06 PM   #86
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
SkyTeam and OneWorld members overbook the same way, they all use the same formulas. I've never seen someone condemn an entire alliance though, this comment made me chuckle.
haha sorry. My hatred for Air Canada and United blinds me to all else in the alliance.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:08 PM   #87
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontondestruction View Post
United is going to wish they had just offered more money to people to get off the flight. It will definitely be cheaper than the incoming lawsuit.
I don't understand this either, they were within their rights to remove him and they were not the ones that beat him so why would they be worried about a lawsuit? Bad press for sure but not a lawsuit.

Edit: they will definitely be named in the lawsuit but that is it.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:11 PM   #88
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol

Old 04-10-2017, 02:12 PM   #89
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Lol

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:13 PM   #90
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

More lol's. Like goodness who is running the social media account?

Old 04-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #91
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Overbooking is based on historical numbers. Like say WestJet has a flight to Vancouver that leaves at 3 pm today, they'll look at the historical numbers and say, "typically, on a 3 pm to Vancouver in mid-April, 4 people do not show up." They then consider it a safe bet to oversell by 3 or 4 seats, and most often come out ahead.

But to reiterate... apparently that's not what this situation was. They were urgently trying to get crew out but did not realize they would need those seats until after boarding. So they screwed up, but this was not a fundamental flaw in the concept of overbooking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I assume this is why I'm currently sitting in an airport bar in Phoenix instead of spending two more hours driving my rental corvette or sitting by the pool. How are there flight delays for construction? Did they not know construction was happening? Did they not see it coming? How was this not factored into the schedule?
They did know, they did adjust, and guarantees by Nav Canada (air traffic control) and the Toronto Airport Authority about the impact of the construction have not been met. Behind closed doors, Air Canada and WestJet are collectively at war with the above authorities over the delays at Toronto right now.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:26 PM   #92
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Well within their rights, this incident was escalated by the passenger.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/04/10...ine-passengers
If your flight was booked on points, I wonder if you are entitled to any compensation?
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:35 PM   #93
wontondestruction
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It's surprising that so many bad decisions were made by "qualified" staff that resulted in someone being dragged, screaming off a plane. The gate crew, on-flight crew, security, and police all look like idiots. Seriously, no one had an idea on how to handle this situation better? I'm glad it was a doctor that good pulled off the flight. Presumably, he can afford a good lawyer (looks like he had him on speed-dial), to sue the #### out of United.
wontondestruction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wontondestruction For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2017, 02:42 PM   #94
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2017, 02:46 PM   #95
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
It would be a tough case to win.

Once they've established a need to move passengers around for whatever reason people are going to be forced to be bumped - and get compensated. The issue is the fundamental lack of understanding how airplanes need to operate mixed with an overabundance of passenger entitlement. The odds are people will most likely miss their flight or be enticed by a voucher early. But in the offhand chance they don't, the scenario escalates because the system will randomize who must move. If the randomized voluntold people then refuse, they will be forcibly removed.

So I'm not sure what happened before the incident, but the passenger is in violation of federal law once he's been told he has to go.
I have to say, for other threads this might be appropriate but its not appropriate here imo. Overabundance of passenger entitlement? I must be missing something.

This guy entered into a purchase contract with United where he pre-paid for a specific service at a specific time (of course barring weather). United reneged on that contract and is (all airlines) trying to hide behind lawyers, lobbying, and govt kickbakcs that allow this practice to justify their extremely shady business practices.

Hotels are also sleezeball organizations that bump so airlines arent the only sleezeballs in the world. We were bumped at a hotel in Barcelona 4 years ago and we havent stayed in a hotel since. Thank goodness for airbnb.
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:46 PM   #96
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

It's amazing how much people are willing to support security and law enforcement in the United States. It's becoming such a police state that people just kind of roll with it now on that level.

*Guy gets knocked out and bloodied and dragged off an airline without showing any violent behavior

"Well, certainly he could have handled that with a little more dignity".

"Guy embarrassed himself"
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:14 PM   #97
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
It's amazing how much people are willing to support security and law enforcement in the United States. It's becoming such a police state that people just kind of roll with it now on that level.

*Guy gets knocked out and bloodied and dragged off an airline without showing any violent behavior

"Well, certainly he could have handled that with a little more dignity".

"Guy embarrassed himself"
100% agree. There's also some stat out there how all these metal detectors and TSA protocols have never actually been proven to stop a single terrorist attack.

And not that I would be any better, but it's pretty telling no one on that plane backed that doctor up. Everyone just sits, films, and takes it.

I'm glad that doctor went out kicking and screaming. If he gets off "dignified", this is something we never hear about.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2017, 03:17 PM   #98
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Everybody on the plane missed their flight time too because some of the passengers started leaving and then they forced everybody off the plan to "tidy up" which delayed it another 3 hours!
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:26 PM   #99
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem is that this was so simple to resolve. Continue to increase the reward until someone bites. There was no reason ever to get security involved. None, regardless of what the law states.

United is 100% the cause of this situation and could have easily prevented it for a fraction of what they have already spent in legal and PR on day 1 of this incident.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:30 PM   #100
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

I hate when "entitled" people pay money for a service and then actually expect the service.