Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-08-2016, 08:58 AM   #81
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drak View Post
If there is one already please let me know and I'll get this one shut down. I did a search but couldn't find one so apologies for redundancy.

We just adopted an 8.5 week old puppy yesterday from the Humane Society so I wanted to share.

Edit: Her name is Maggie. She's a terrier mix (her mom looked like a Cairn mix) - mixed with possibly Maltese or Havanese).

You just made my day
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2016, 10:31 AM   #82
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if I've uploaded Tasha before. Our best guess is she's a Shepherd/Malamute cross, abandoned as a puppy with her sister in the local dog park 7 years ago.

A couple of weeks ago she started showing bizarre behaviour, fast forward to now she's on chemotherapy for an autoimmune condition in her brain. Prognosis is good and she's back to her old self, but it was a wake up call for how important she is to our family.

To all the recent posters about pet insurance, thanks for nothing, I could have used that advice three weeks ago :-)
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2016, 11:20 AM   #83
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

So serious in her photo!!

Sorry about her illness, but glad to hear that her prognosis is good. My two, after years of nothing but check-ups, have both had health scares recently, but they too have positive outlooks. I guess that's reality as they start getting older. :-(
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:34 AM   #84
Chonger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My 3 yr old Shiba Inu Ecko
Chonger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Chonger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2016, 04:17 PM   #85
iggyformayor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This is our little 9 week old Beagle puppy Harper. I don't think I've ever smiled this much in my life.

iggyformayor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to iggyformayor For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2016, 04:30 PM   #86
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's the cutest puppy ever!! ❤️
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:07 AM   #87
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thought this would be a good place to ask,

What's the best way to get a new puppy, a golden retriever specifically? You've got breeders with their own websites, humane societies and animal rescue, people on kijiji, etc. I would be a first time dog owner.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:26 AM   #88
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post

What's the best way to get a new puppy, a golden retriever specifically? You've got breeders with their own websites, humane societies and animal rescue, people on kijiji, etc. I would be a first time dog owner.
I just had a litter of golden pups with a local breeder in February and it was such a learning experience. The question most ask is what kind of owner are you? Hunting, field trials, pet? And how much time do you have? I know two incredible breeders but you have to be able to commit to being home with the dogs, at least not working full time. Goldens aren't dogs that do well by themselves. If the words crate training mean anything to you you've probably got the wrong breed. So if you're looking for that kind of commitment I'd be very happy to introduce you to who I think the best breeder is. She spends a remarkable amount of time with the pups. They all go through puppy school with her. It makes a massive difference. The cost of the dogs barely covers her expenses. Best of luck.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:30 AM   #89
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:

Well if you know the specific breed, I would start with google. I myself would look for breeders with web pages. I'd find a couple I like and if possible I'd visit the place and look around and see if anything raises questions.

I'd avoid kijiji, just because they may promise you a golden retriever and it could end up being a cross or some other mix. You could visit the Humane Society and animal rescue, but that's a crap shoot for breeds as well. Plus they may just have older dogs, but it doesn't hurt to look. Rescuing a dog from a shelter can be a super rewarding experince.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:02 PM   #90
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

If you need a purebred, go to a registered breeder. You likely won't be able to call them up and get a puppy. Good breeders, who test genetics of their breeding stock, do health checks on the puppies, etc. usually have waiting lists. However, if this is the kind of dog you want, it definitely is the way to do it. A breeder who doesn't have the papers for the puppies is a huge red flag!!!

However, if you don't plan to show the dog, there is no reason that most people need a purebred for a family pet. Is there a specific reason you want a puppy? I would actually recommend an older dog (1-3) for someone without much experience. They can wait longer to go to the bathroom, are easier to train, and the crazy puppy days are over. If the dog comes from a rescue that uses foster homes versus a shelter, you can find out a lot about the dog's personality before adopting. I have raised a puppy and fostered many adult dogs. The most challenging foster dog was easier than the puppy - and she was a good puppy!

If you do go with a puppy, find a good trainer or an experienced friend you can go to for advice. When I got my first puppy, I trained her myself but had a friend who was very experienced (family bred dogs) to give me advice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2016, 12:46 PM   #91
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Image links are from Instagram, so hoping it they work! But these are my little guys, both Shihtzu's, brothers, now 8 months old.

As Puppies, think around the 4 month-ish mark.
Spoiler!

Most recent, taken yesterday at the dog park
Spoiler!
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrCallahan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2016, 02:15 PM   #92
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

My wife and I adopted another cat... a 6 year old fat boy we named Mushu.

We'll help him lose some weight!
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2016, 03:05 PM   #93
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great name!
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:03 PM   #94
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I just had a litter of golden pups with a local breeder in February and it was such a learning experience. The question most ask is what kind of owner are you? Hunting, field trials, pet? And how much time do you have? I know two incredible breeders but you have to be able to commit to being home with the dogs, at least not working full time. Goldens aren't dogs that do well by themselves. If the words crate training mean anything to you you've probably got the wrong breed. So if you're looking for that kind of commitment I'd be very happy to introduce you to who I think the best breeder is. She spends a remarkable amount of time with the pups. They all go through puppy school with her. It makes a massive difference. The cost of the dogs barely covers her expenses. Best of luck.
Well, damn. I would be away for the 45~ hrs of work per week so scratch that idea. How do all these dog owners do it? Ah I get it. spouses and children.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:08 PM   #95
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Well, damn. I would be away for the 45~ hrs of work per week so scratch that idea. How do all these dog owners do it? Ah I get it. spouses and children.
I have the luxury of working from home which is why we decided. Otherwise I wouldn't want to leave a dog alone for long periods.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:44 PM   #96
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It depends on the dog. Puppies, yeah, not a good idea unless someone is home. People also get dog walkers to come in through the day.

My two are older, so they like to take it easy and relax when I'm at work and they have each other for company. But your lifestyle changes. I go home right after work every day. For people who work long days, then want to go out in the evenings or have drinks/dinner before going home, a dog is probably not the best idea at that stage.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #97
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
It depends on the dog. Puppies, yeah, not a good idea unless someone is home. People also get dog walkers to come in through the day.

My two are older, so they like to take it easy and relax when I'm at work and they have each other for company. But your lifestyle changes. I go home right after work every day. For people who work long days, then want to go out in the evenings or have drinks/dinner before going home, a dog is probably not the best idea at that stage.
I was reading that a good way to teach dogs to feel comfortable and help curb separation anxiety is to get them used to their crate and pen by getting them in there for a few seconds and gradually increasing time over time and making a game of it. Eventually going out for very short periods etc. Putting in their favorite toys so they feel comfortable and confident and to keep them occupied. But like all training it takes effort and time. Also getting them to go into their crate then closing the door briefly and reopening it to let them out after a short period to show them it's OK - placing in treats etc. Not sure your thoughts.

Our dog has been sleeping nicely in her crate. But we keep her crate's door open and it's inside a larger pen. She's only in there for naps and bed time. Sleeps mostly through the night but like clockwork is up at about 2am for a toilet break outside. Then up again just before 6am.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:15 PM   #98
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

That Beagle pup might be the cutest f***ing thing in the world.

It made me go back and look through some old pics of Boris as a puppy. This one is my favorite:

Old 07-11-2016, 01:21 PM   #99
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yes, that's a good way to go about crate training, I think. Another idea is to feed in the crate, again to make a positive association. I don't really like doing that as I find it messy and awkward. Another suggestion is never to use it as punishment, because you don't want the dog to have a negative association with it.

My dogs are both crate trained, but rarely use them anymore. They are safe to leave out in the house when I'm gone. They use crates when travelling.

With separation anxiety, what I recommend is giving them something to keep them busy, leaving a radio playing quietly in the background, and not making a big deal out of leaving or returning.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:42 PM   #100
LGA
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is our pup that we adopted in December...he started off so cute, and then really adopted the derp.

LGA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to LGA For This Useful Post: