Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #101
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just downloaded this. Do I need a Yoga mat and a bunch of lululemon gear or can I do this with some shorts on the floor?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #102
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Just downloaded this. Do I need a Yoga mat and a bunch of lululemon gear or can I do this with some shorts on the floor?
I'd get a mat at least. They're $15-20 and are a lot more comfortable and non-slip. Shorts and a shirt are fine, although I'd recommend a shirt dri-fit or something similar just for ease of movement.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #103
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
We should start a CalgaryPuck group on TeamDDP.

My DVDs should finally arrive on Monday or Tuesday, so next week I'll be feeling the BANG!. I'm starting to watch the beginners videos on TeamDDPyoga.com so I'm ready to jump right into it.

You know, its funny, I've always known about dynamic resistance, and thought, why not workout without weights, I can do my bench presses on my bed, and bicep curls, etc. etc, just by flexing all the muscles in my arms. I just never ever put that into practice. Now, here I am, using DDP's modified yoga program, which is all about dynamic resistance.
This is actually not a bad idea! we can all keep each other updated, and have our own little online "buddy system" to keep tabs on each of us. I haven't had a chance to log into the TeamDDP site yet, but I have been getting a lot of posts on my profile from various people from the DDP crew, seems a bit overwhelming to start!
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #104
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did my first session (Energy) yesterday.

Was pretty easy and quick. Bit sore today but nothing major.

I'm struggling to figure out how you're supposed to loose weight with this program. I understand the improvements in flexibility, but weight loss?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #105
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Tried the Diamond Dozen today and thought it was pretty good. One thing though is how do you get your heart rate up. I'm not in great shape but even while doing the slow burn push ups my heart rate was no where near my target heart rate. Any suggestions?
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #106
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep991 View Post
Tried the Diamond Dozen today and thought it was pretty good. One thing though is how do you get your heart rate up. I'm not in great shape but even while doing the slow burn push ups my heart rate was no where near my target heart rate. Any suggestions?
I haven't received the DVDs yet so I'm not yet an expert on the workouts, but I think the Diamond Dozen is designed to get you to know the moves more than to get your hear rate up. Once you start other workouts is where you will really see your heart rate go up.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #107
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Did anyone order the heart rate monitor?

I'm trying to figure out if it has the chest band or if it just monitors from your wrist. Can't seem to find that info.
First Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #108
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Lady View Post

I'm trying to figure out if it has the chest band or if it just monitors from your wrist. Can't seem to find that info.
It has the chest band.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #109
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Some earlier said as soon as you ask someone to clear their mind and say a few oms they get uncomfortable. Om is a religious chant. Also I would argue that meditation is closely linked with spirituality. Seeking inner peace or clarity is definately a spiritual activity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Om
Om isn't a religious chant, it's a breathing practice. And meditation is whatever you want it to be, it can be spiritual or it can be a time to just lay there and catch 2 minutes of nothingness.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #110
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Om isn't a religious chant, it's a breathing practice. And meditation is whatever you want it to be, it can be spiritual or it can be a time to just lay there and catch 2 minutes of nothingness.
Om isn't a religious chant like Easter isn't a religious holiday.

You just need to accept that some people find the meditation side of yoga to be lame. Thats doesn't mean it's wrong, it's just not for everyone. It doesn't really need defending.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #111
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Om isn't a religious chant like Easter isn't a religious holiday.

You just need to accept that some people find the meditation side of yoga to be lame. Thats doesn't mean it's wrong, it's just not for everyone. It doesn't really need defending.
Have you ever been to a typical yoga class? Om is used as a breathing exercise, there isn't the slightest bit or a religious element to it.

I've also never said that it is for everyone, but pretty much everyone here knocking it have absolutely zero experience with it. The mediation side of yoga is about 1% of a typical yoga class, and honestly, I usually just fall asleep for a minute or two.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to valo403 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #112
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I would be totally afraid to go into a moment of zen like relaxation in a class full of girls, 10 seconds into it the old colon would go into super explosion mode.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #113
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Om is a religious chant it is not a breathing exercise, it might be used for meditation but it is most definitely a religious thing.
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #114
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How does the diamond dozen work? The workout itself is ~30 mins and my schedule says I need to do them a lot, but the video seems more like an instruction on each of the moves rather than a comprehensive workout. Am I doing something wrong? (I've got a downloaded version I'm using to demo the program)
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #115
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
How does the diamond dozen work? The workout itself is ~30 mins and my schedule says I need to do them a lot, but the video seems more like an instruction on each of the moves rather than a comprehensive workout. Am I doing something wrong? (I've got a downloaded version I'm using to demo the program)
Diamond Dozen is just used to teach you the different positions. When you actually do the training it will incorporate those positions into them. It makes it easier for when he tells you to move to the next position if you know what position he means instead of pausing and watching
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #116
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Lady View Post

I am wondering about the monitor too. I didn't buy it, but I went to Crappy Tire and bought one there. It seems to me, from watching a couple of the beginners videos, that the monitors they are doing are actively monitoring their heart rates. While the monitor I purchased only lets me my heart rate when I press down on the contact points with my fingers.

Anybody have experience between using both kinds of monitors? Should I return the one I bought and buy one with a chest band? Does it matter?

Oh, and holy crap am I out of shape! My resting heart rate is way too high
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #117
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I am wondering about the monitor too. I didn't buy it, but I went to Crappy Tire and bought one there. It seems to me, from watching a couple of the beginners videos, that the monitors they are doing are actively monitoring their heart rates. While the monitor I purchased only lets me my heart rate when I press down on the contact points with my fingers.

Anybody have experience between using both kinds of monitors? Should I return the one I bought and buy one with a chest band? Does it matter?

Oh, and holy crap am I out of shape! My resting heart rate is way too high
I did some research on this a couple of months ago. Most of the personal opinion pieces I read favoured the chest strap ones.

They cited it as being more accurate and easier to use. (watch displays without having to mess with pressing things)

I had a wrist one too. Ended up giving it away.
First Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to First Lady For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2013, 07:02 AM   #118
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have the chest one as well. Garmin brand, works very well.

My dvds have not arrived yet and im still doing physio for my foot/achilles. Im keen to get going though.

How long does each workout take to do? Are you doing it in the mrning or evening?
Old 05-07-2013, 07:04 AM   #119
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Can you start another thread about your thoughts on traditional yoga or meditation?

This thread is for the DDP style, which i understand several CPers are going to try and id like to get their thoughts and suggestions from doing the actual DDP program.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #120
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This sounds interesting. I imagine there will be some used ones for sale in a few months so perhaps I will wait until then!
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bang! , ddpyoga , guys do yoga too , not your mama's yoga , yrg