Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 09:50 AM   #1021
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Fired a machine gun while in the reserves. That was pretty neat but I didn't consider making it a part of my life. I grew up around guns, started with a cork gun, than a BB gun, got a 22 at ten years old, done some hunting and skeet shooting but never had a desire to carry on with it.

I loved, LOVED going to the ranges. I loved the smell, the shooting, the cleaning of the weapon I loved it all (except being in the butts in the winter).

I fired pretty well every man operated weapon in the forces at the time.

I have not touched a weapon since I got out. To be honest, I would love to fire again, I would love to own/shoot again, but I think that strick control of weapons overrides my desire to shoot.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #1022
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I loved, LOVED going to the ranges. I loved the smell, the shooting, the cleaning of the weapon I loved it all (except being in the butts in the winter).

I fired pretty well every man operated weapon in the forces at the time.

I have not touched a weapon since I got out. To be honest, I would love to fire again, I would love to own/shoot again, but I think that strick control of weapons overrides my desire to shoot.
I used to like cleaning my 30-30 while watching Flames games. I found it relaxing.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:57 AM   #1023
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
This is from NRA Youth Day
Did you take this photo? It reminds me of sitting on my dad's lap learning how to drive as a youngster.

I would love to get my niece and nephew out and educated about the dangers and proper techniques of gun control by trained professionals.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:09 PM   #1024
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary_User View Post
Did you take this photo? It reminds me of sitting on my dad's lap learning how to drive as a youngster.

I would love to get my niece and nephew out and educated about the dangers and proper techniques of gun control by trained professionals.
As someone who strongly agrees with educating children and adults on the safe methods of handling a firearm, I totally agree. For me, it's a safety thing.

What the NRA does as an organization is the complete opposite of that.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:29 PM   #1025
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I used to like cleaning my 30-30 while watching Flames games. I found it relaxing.
Lose any TV's that way?
Old 08-28-2014, 01:43 PM   #1026
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
As someone who strongly agrees with educating children and adults on the safe methods of handling a firearm, I totally agree. For me, it's a safety thing.

What the NRA does as an organization is the complete opposite of that.
Or you can just not expose your kids to guns.

I'm 27 and I've never seen a gun in my life (unholstered). I have no idea what I'm going to do if the apocalypse happens and I don't know how to use one!

But seriously, unless you live in the sticks there is zero reason to ever see a gun, let alone learn about the things.
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evman150 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2014, 01:59 PM   #1027
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150 View Post

I'm 27 and I've never seen a gun in my life (unholstered). I have no idea what I'm going to do if the apocalypse happens and I don't know how to use one!

But seriously, unless you live in the sticks there is zero reason to ever see a gun, let alone learn about the things.
What if you and the kids are cleaning up grandpa's attic and come across his old shotgun?

The child is out of your supervision but has a friend who has access to a firearm that they shouldn't.

I agree with you, but it's for the scenarios where supervision isn't available. Kids shouldn't be picking up needles on the ground either, but I'm going to inform them that while all parts of the needle can be dangerous, the tip is especially dangerous.

Kids i'm with still come and get me if there's something they think is dangerous.

I don't think education is ever harmful for those instances.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2014, 02:02 PM   #1028
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Lose any TV's that way?
I have an old high school buddy who blasted out his sliding glass door that way. Oops.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:02 PM   #1029
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Agreed. I am 34, born and raised in Calgary, and have never even seen a gun in my life that was not holstered on a cops hip. My kids won't be exposed to them any more than I ever was. Living in the city and not being a hunting enthusiast there is just no reason for it what so ever.
The Following User Says Thank You to RyZ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #1030
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Grew up in Forest Lawn/Dover

Seen guns a plenty
The Following User Says Thank You to MelBridgeman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2014, 02:47 PM   #1031
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Lose any TV's that way?
No but it wasn't as relaxing for the wife so eventually I had to put my toy away.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2014, 02:50 PM   #1032
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

So in the US we don't let children operate motor vehicles until they're a certain age and then ensure that they pass a permit exam, and then a driving test. Why can't we keep 9 year olds from holding an uzi? Airsoft gun, pellet gun, even a hunting rifle, okay, if you can responsibly teach your child to use something like that, whatever. But I don't think 9 year olds need to have access in any way to automatic weapons.

I don't think anyone outside of active military in a war zone needs access to automatic weapons, frankly.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2014, 02:59 PM   #1033
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
This is from NRA Youth Day

LOL. These are all oversized, cheap, plastic airsoft guns and not real guns. This is likely a mis-attributed photo from a panicking parent picked up by lazy/bad NY Daily News tabloid journalists. I don't see any evidence it's actually from the NRA as they would make fun of these as being "toys". Note the white plastic BB's everywhere, orange tips, and the batteries for the rifles.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 08-28-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:59 PM   #1034
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dont have any problems with education regarding firearms, we're fortunate enough to live in a very safe place where that education would be a form of entertainment.

However, it has to be said that these people trying to educate children about firearms are doing a piss poor job of it. I thought they were supposed to know what they're doing? Are they certified, card-carrying morons?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-28-2014, 03:20 PM   #1035
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
LOL. These are all oversized, cheap, plastic airsoft guns and not real guns. This is likely a mis-attributed photo from a panicking parent picked up by lazy/bad NY Daily News tabloid journalists. I don't see any evidence it's actually from the NRA as they would make fun of these as being "toys". Note the white plastic BB's everywhere, orange tips, and the batteries for the rifles.

Sorry, aren't airsoft "guns" specs (perhaps not weight) the same as real weapons. I thought they were built to the same size/specs.

I also thought the basic operation of these "guns" is the same as actual weapons, ie: saftey, sighting, loading, etc.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:59 PM   #1036
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
What if you and the kids are cleaning up grandpa's attic and come across his old shotgun?

The child is out of your supervision but has a friend who has access to a firearm that they shouldn't.

I agree with you, but it's for the scenarios where supervision isn't available. Kids shouldn't be picking up needles on the ground either, but I'm going to inform them that while all parts of the needle can be dangerous, the tip is especially dangerous.

Kids i'm with still come and get me if there's something they think is dangerous.

I don't think education is ever harmful for those instances.
If I'm cleaning out the attic and find a shotgun I'd call the police to take it away not think 'hmm maybe I should try this bad boy out??'

As a parent child care worker and foster parent I can assure you regardless of any amount of education unsupervised teenage boys left with guns or cars or almost anything else will do something stupid and dangerous and hurt/kill either themselves or someone standing nearby.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:02 PM   #1037
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post
So in the US we don't let children operate motor vehicles until they're a certain age and then ensure that they pass a permit exam, and then a driving test. Why can't we keep 9 year olds from holding an uzi? Airsoft gun, pellet gun, even a hunting rifle, okay, if you can responsibly teach your child to use something like that, whatever. But I don't think 9 year olds need to have access in any way to automatic weapons.

I don't think anyone outside of active military in a war zone needs access to automatic weapons, frankly.
Why can't you keep 9 year olds from holding Uzis? for the same reason you can't get anything else done, you have a broken system that is wholly owned by big business, I would have thought that was obvious.
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2014, 05:15 PM   #1038
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw this in the news last night. Some kid (i think she is 9 years old) was at the gun range with the instructor. She tried the pistol and was okay with one shot. Then the instructor gave her an automatic and she start firing but couldn't control the gun. She ended up shooting the instructor in the head and killed him. Poor kid will think about that accident for the rest of her life.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:15 PM   #1039
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Why can't you keep 9 year olds from holding Uzis? for the same reason you can't get anything else done, you have a broken system that is wholly owned by big business, I would have thought that was obvious.
You do understand that in Canada minors are allowed to fire guns with proper supervision right?

This whole thing is 100% negligence on the part of the instructor. It's obvious she can't even hold the gun, let alone control in, before she fires a single round.

Quote:

So just because you don't have a reason for one, it means there is no reason for other people not to have or use them. Got it.

Do you also feel that unless someone is a professional racer, there is no reason to own a high horsepower vehicle?

Last edited by llwhiteoutll; 08-28-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:19 PM   #1040
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

double post
Closed Thread