Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 12:26 AM   #2041
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Down all violence , as are all countries the took lead out of their gasoline.
Holy crap. I'd never heard this before and your post sent me down a google rabbit hole. This is freaking amazing.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:56 AM   #2042
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
Slate should do a better job at fact checking.

October 2002, Monash University: 2 dead, 5 injured.
April 2011, Hectorville siege: 3 dead, 3 injured.
September 2014, Hunt murders: 5 dead.
December 2014, Sydney hostage crisis: 3 dead, 5 injured.

Sydney, Perth and Melbourne all have new special task forces to try and limit the amount of handgun crime committed by gangs in their cities.
4 in a decade. Thats like a week in Chicago alone. Your right it dosent work.
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2015, 03:30 AM   #2043
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Holy crap. I'd never heard this before and your post sent me down a google rabbit hole. This is freaking amazing.

Please tell me you watched the new Cosmos series, episode 7 called the "Clean Room" tells us about a hero scientist who would not stop warning us of lead and its dangers. Mr Patterson is a hero.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/58...er-of-lead.htm
Old 08-31-2015, 06:55 AM   #2044
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
4 in a decade. Thats like a week in Chicago alone. Your right it dosent work.
And the 11 in the decade before the ban represents a weekend in the summer in Washinton DC.

Point being the article you linked to is a farce. But I suppose it's easier to believe a lie when it's convenient.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:56 AM   #2045
tjinaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Two Recent articles worth discussing here

Not as cut and dried as people make it out to be. It is not just the guns that make mass shootings more likely in the US.

http://www.latimes.com/science/scien...824-story.html

Why the narratives from both sides are wrong and this will likely not be solved anytime soon.

http://theweek.com/articles/446178/b...bate-heres-why
The Following User Says Thank You to tjinaz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2015, 08:50 AM   #2046
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
And the 11 in the decade before the ban represents a weekend in the summer in Washinton DC.

Point being the article you linked to is a farce. But I suppose it's easier to believe a lie when it's convenient.
Just like "I need a gun to protect myself" and "an armed society is a polite society", and all the other lies gun nuts tell themselves?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2015, 11:25 AM   #2047
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Weren't gun buyback programs insanely successful? Maybe start with that.
They have been, but as we've been repeatedly told nothing will work in the US so let's not try!!
Old 08-31-2015, 11:40 AM   #2048
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjinaz View Post
Not as cut and dried as people make it out to be. It is not just the guns that make mass shootings more likely in the US.

http://www.latimes.com/science/scien...824-story.html

Why the narratives from both sides are wrong and this will likely not be solved anytime soon.

http://theweek.com/articles/446178/b...bate-heres-why
Great articles. Thanks.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:28 PM   #2049
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Just like "I need a gun to protect myself" and "an armed society is a polite society", and all the other lies gun nuts tell themselves?
Strawman aside, Americans believe in self defense as a human right and have legal provisions to carry in most states, concealed or open. The stats show these people typically do better than those in gun free areas such as Chicago and Washington DC.

What's sad is the hoplophobes that push their anti gun agenda claim their arguments for banning/confiscating guns are strong. I wonder if their arguments are so strong why do they then have to prop them up with lies?
Old 08-31-2015, 12:32 PM   #2050
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Can't you just look at it in a macro sense instead of nitpicking?

America has much higher gun violence rates than it's allies and other developed nations. You can't argue this.

America has the most liberal gun laws compared to said nations.

Can't you put two and two together and realize that if the end goal is safer society, then gun laws similar to the other nations needs to be instituted and the 2nd amendment amended?
Old 08-31-2015, 12:53 PM   #2051
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ It's not just an issue of the number of guns in the US but also an issue of the US 'gun culture'.

Of course it's possible to round up most of the guns in the US like the Australians did. However, there would be a great deal more push-back in the US likely to the point of armed resistance in some cases. Also, a great deal of other civil liberties would have to be bruised (if not broken) to actually make it work.

The only solution, IMO, is to change the mentality or the gun culture in the US but that takes a lot of time and only happens in increments. It has to start with small steps like banning certain types of weapons, more stringent background checks, psych profiles, etc. As the gun culture changes you take the next logical steps. In the meantime, I think we can expect more mass shootings followed by more hyperbole and vitriol from both sides.

If a bunch of murdered kindergarteners doesn't inspire Americans and American political leaders to do something, nothing will.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:55 PM   #2052
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Strawman aside, Americans believe in self defense as a human right and have legal provisions to carry in most states, concealed or open. The stats show these people typically do better than those in gun free areas such as Chicago and Washington DC.

What's sad is the hoplophobes that push their anti gun agenda claim their arguments for banning/confiscating guns are strong. I wonder if their arguments are so strong why do they then have to prop them up with lies?
Back handed insults are always best when having a discussion.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:42 PM   #2053
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

I haven't heard this argument before but increased spiritualism (only christian mind you) may be the answer to the mass shooting problem in the states....

pffffffhahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA

murica

Old 08-31-2015, 06:54 PM   #2054
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Fivenagame View Post
I haven't heard this argument before but increased spiritualism (only christian mind you) may be the answer to the mass shooting problem in the states....

murica

Hey Bill, Europe has 4 times as many Nililists as the USA.
The Following User Says Thank You to T@T For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2015, 07:33 PM   #2055
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Back handed insults are always best when having a discussion.
I guess I should be insulted by the "gun nut" comment then? Which I see you were quick to chastise Resolute for hey?

Put your big boy pants on.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:33 PM   #2056
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Fivenagame View Post

murica
So stupid.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:46 PM   #2057
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Ha ha ha. I had to look this one up. It's pretty clever. Almost as clever as saying Chicago and Washington are "gun free areas".

Old 08-31-2015, 07:48 PM   #2058
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Slate should do a better job at fact checking.

October 2002, Monash University: 2 dead, 5 injured.
April 2011, Hectorville siege: 3 dead, 3 injured.
September 2014, Hunt murders: 5 dead.
December 2014, Sydney hostage crisis: 3 dead, 5 injured.

Sydney, Perth and Melbourne all have new special task forces to try and limit the amount of handgun crime committed by gangs in their cities.
That Slate article was from 2012, meaning only Monash University and Hectorville had happened. With both of those there were less than 5 people that were killed.

While there is no hard and fast definition of a "massacre" it would be reasonable to state that it would be 5 or more people killed. Which would mean there has been one since Port Arthur.

For someone who's putting their eggs in the "check your facts" basket, c'mon man. Did you really think that this entire board would miss the print date of the Slate article? Obviously you didn't miss it, as the time the article was written is a pretty important fact when researching dates.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Old 08-31-2015, 08:04 PM   #2059
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Ha ha ha. I had to look this one up. It's pretty clever. Almost as clever as saying Chicago and Washington are "gun free areas".
NRA word of the month.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:16 PM   #2060
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
That Slate article was from 2012, meaning only Monash University and Hectorville had happened. With both of those there were less than 5 people that were killed.

While there is no hard and fast definition of a "massacre" it would be reasonable to state that it would be 5 or more people killed. Which would mean there has been one since Port Arthur.

For someone who's putting their eggs in the "check your facts" basket, c'mon man. Did you really think that this entire board would miss the print date of the Slate article? Obviously you didn't miss it, as the time the article was written is a pretty important fact when researching dates.
So why present three year old data if it's no longer factual?

The article itself talks about mass shootings not killings. As in 3 or more people shot. So yes, those all qualify. That's the hard and fast definition. If you want to move the goalposts to killings and not shootings that's up to you but flies in the face of what the article was talking about. However wrong they may be.

Yup, I made the mistake of assuming the entire board wouldn't check the date. I also made the mistake of assuming the entire board wouldn't spend ten seconds on google to research slates claims for themselves.
Closed Thread