Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-20-2017, 07:03 AM   #1381
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I posted about the WestJet ULCC in the Aviation thread just now too. Curious to see how this plays out and the initial routes we'll see.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:27 AM   #1382
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Which frills are they getting rid of? The free drink? I can't think of anything else that they could charge for, other than cabin baggage? "High density" 737-800's sounds squishy.
Still not as squishy as Sunwing. They manage to cram 189 in their planes. (Which I believe is the max allowable seats on a B738)
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:32 AM   #1383
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The worst I have ever been on was a Thomas Cook flight to London. They removed most of the bulkheads, so it was pretty much wide open with minimal bathrooms. My "seat" was near the front where it was a bit narrower so they had the top left of the back lopped off to fit it against the side of the fuselage. Sitting in it meant angling my body for 10 hours. This plane was packed.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:46 AM   #1384
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I just went thru the worst security line I've seen in a while. Got there and only about 10 people in the regular line and probably another 10 at one of the three lines for X-ray. Went right to the front with my nexus but it didn't matter. It took about 30-35 minutes just to clear the line up they were feeding the nexus passengers into. Other lines had a smimilar delay. By the time I got thru the security line had about grown by about tenfold.

No reason for the delay either. It was just the slowest catsa crew ever, specifically the slow as hell people doing the carry on scanning.

Thankfully I was early enough it didn't delay me but the nexus guy in front of me, who was obviously not from Calgary and a frequent traveller, remarked what a joke our airport was.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:46 AM   #1385
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Which frills are they getting rid of? The free drink? I can't think of anything else that they could charge for, other than cabin baggage? "High density" 737-800's sounds squishy.
Guessing something similar to Allegiant Air. They charge for almost everything like checked bags, carryon bags, water. I think they also charge for checking in at the gate instead of online. High density would be smaller seats as well
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:00 AM   #1386
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone know of any economy parking near the new terminal? I know there is the economy lot but its quite a walk from the new terminal. Hoping to park somewhat close to the new end, ideally on site
Old 04-20-2017, 10:47 AM   #1387
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Standing room only.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:50 AM   #1388
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reid Feist at Global tweeted that he spoke with WS about this, fees for things like your carry-on and "the pop on your table". So yes, there goes any free drinks. I'm guessing they go full NewLeaf/Ryanair and have charges for everything, even things like printing your boarding pass.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:54 AM   #1389
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Does anyone know of any economy parking near the new terminal? I know there is the economy lot but its quite a walk from the new terminal. Hoping to park somewhat close to the new end, ideally on site
Nope. I just did that trek two days ago. Putting a hotel between the terminals was pretty dumb and just added to the distance.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #1390
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
If the walk from the Economy Lot is a concern for you, you can park with Park and Jet and get a shuttle ride there for what appears to be the same price as the Economy Lot. Not sure why YYC wouldn't keep their prices lower than P&J but whatever.

Otherwise, if you want to be close to the terminal you gotta pony up for P2 parkade rates.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:19 AM   #1391
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Reid Feist at Global tweeted that he spoke with WS about this, fees for things like your carry-on and "the pop on your table". So yes, there goes any free drinks. I'm guessing they go full NewLeaf/Ryanair and have charges for everything, even things like printing your boarding pass.
The printing your own boarding pass is annoying. Like how much money are they saving by not spitting out that cheap paper those things are printed on?

I flew RyanAir two years ago and even though someone told me to be sure to print the boarding pass I forgot and figured I'd just pay whatever penalty they charged for that. Turns out the penalty was 50 POUNDS, which was more than what I had paid for the flight at 35 pounds. The worst part was it took me forever to track down their service desk and the extremely ornery employee who operated it. But what can you expect, you pay a scumbag rate of 70 bucks for a flight, better be prepared to get scumbag treatment back.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:45 PM   #1392
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I only hope they don't Rouge this up and start offering part Westjet part CheapWestjet itineraries. If I want the cheap one, I'll buy the cheap one. I hate Rouge with a passion, and when Air Canada bagged their US 'leisure' routes to Rouge, I stopped taking Air Canada.
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billybob123 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 12:53 PM   #1393
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally, I think this erodes their brand of being a "caring airline" even further... Their brand used to be about being an effective refreshing break from the low standards and service from Air Canada, and I think this severely compromises that by bringing a lot of negative connotations to the brand. West Jet continues their slide into a big bad airline...

That happy go lucky "owners care" culture is going to go by the wayside quick when frontline staff get torn a strip over the increasing lack of service and being nickled and dimed over barf bag fees. The "Flight attendants association" won't like this I'm sure...

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 04-20-2017 at 12:58 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:59 PM   #1394
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
If the walk from the Economy Lot is a concern for you, you can park with Park and Jet and get a shuttle ride there for what appears to be the same price as the Economy Lot. Not sure why YYC wouldn't keep their prices lower than P&J but whatever.

Otherwise, if you want to be close to the terminal you gotta pony up for P2 parkade rates.
We parked in the parkade, and it still seemed like a really long trek to the new terminal with a 3 year old and bags. Maybe we'll try Park and Jet next time as on the whole, it might be more convenient to get dropped off closer.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:23 PM   #1395
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Personally, I think this erodes their brand of being a "caring airline" even further... Their brand used to be about being an effective refreshing break from the low standards and service from Air Canada, and I think this severely compromises that by bringing a lot of negative connotations to the brand. West Jet continues their slide into a big bad airline...

That happy go lucky "owners care" culture is going to go by the wayside quick when frontline staff get torn a strip over the increasing lack of service and being nickled and dimed over barf bag fees. The "Flight attendants association" won't like this I'm sure...
Continues to? They are a big airline, act as such, and have for over 10 years now. The only difference between them and Air Canada is that the Airbus is a much more comfortable plane than a Boeing 737 and Air Canada doesn't make holier than thou commercials that high school drops outs eat up hook, line, and sinker and re-post on facebook 100 times so the other dummies on their page can like it and throw a shot at Air Canada. Saying "Air Canada Sucks" is the cool thing for people to do, the same people that fire out the "Toronto Sucks" lines to get a cheap laugh.

There's not a dollar difference in price anymore between Westjet and Air Canada. The only time I will selectively pick Westjet over Air Canada instead of who has the preferential flight times is if I have to deal with Rouge or Jazz, and this new ULCC is taking that away. In fact, that is already mostly been taken away anyways Westjet uses the Q400 now to get to smaller destinations when they always used to use 737s (and marketed as such). It now takes 2 hours 45 minutes to fly from Toronto to Maritime destinations. Used to be around 1 hour 50 minutes.

Westjet is the Tim Horton's of the airline industry to me. #### product that is no different than the other #### product, but for some reason they've been able to build a brand that they are some sort of Canadian right of passage. Air Canada and Westjet both suck, not sure why one is seen as the golden child and the other is considered a monster.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 04-20-2017 at 02:47 PM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:26 PM   #1396
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, WestJet has been pretty mediocre for a while. I prefer Air Canada at this point.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:34 PM   #1397
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Yeah, WestJet has been pretty mediocre for a while. I prefer Air Canada at this point.
Yup. More comfortable planes (assuming you are getting an Airbus or an old 2 by 2 Embauer ), better entertainment systems, better on-board purchases selection.

The fact that Air Canada's flight attendant's don't tell jokes or act like a pre-school teacher shouldn't matter to anyone over the age of 8. It's all about getting to your destination on time and as comfortably as possible for the least amount of money, and there's next to no difference between the two other than small comfort features i've mentioned above, which in my opinion puts Air Canada ahead of Westjet.

I actually find Westjet flight attendants seem to be getting more and more unprofessional. Sure Air Canada ones are kind of crotchety, but at I can't say they are unprofessional. We just took a flight to Cancun and the two rows in front of us were Westjet Workers also flying down for vacation. The flight attendants spent the entire flight handing them free booze, food, just whatever their little hearts wanted and spent the rest of time giggling and laughing with them completing ignoring the paying customers. They actually ran out of a lot of stuff on this place, which normally I can understand as it's a long flight, but when you hand out a bunch of free stuff to people using their buddy passes before you even serve the paying public, than tell the paying public you are out of this, that, and the other thing, it really rubs people the wrong way. I almost complained to Westjet, I wish I had of.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 04-20-2017 at 02:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 02:47 PM   #1398
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Interesting that WestJet would reference introducing low cost airfare in 1996. Maybe they were low cost back then but I don't see them as low cost now. In fact, for most flights I look at they're almost identical in price to Air Canada
Old 04-20-2017, 03:01 PM   #1399
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nm
Old 04-20-2017, 03:06 PM   #1400
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

]

westjet is actually overhauling their food supply this year in order to have a better selection of snacks and food on their flights. With the new Max planes they will also be offering hot food items and the 737-800 planes will be adding ovens so that hot food can be served on those flights as well. The food will be a huge improvement.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc