Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2009, 05:23 PM   #21
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have never heard of them not warrantying a PVR, even if it is an old out of date one like my sister had they just replaced it with a new HD one. They know that you can sign a contract with Bell and get a decent PVR on the cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwo_threefour View Post
As much as I totally preferred Bell's linup and timeshifting options, the price and service at Shaw beat the pants off Bell.
In used to think Bell had better time shifting options, but my wife pointed out that everything we ever watch has the same timeshifts is available on Shaw as on Bell. Some more obscure stuff might not be.

Shaw customer service beats Bells hand down though. They do have some technical issues from time to time though ( re: PPV ), Just wait till you need to pay someone 50 bucks to come readjust your dish, when everything Shaw does is normally free, even the install most of the time (if you don't need new outlets). Plus you know the person you are talking to is sitting in Calgary, watching the same TV channels you are watching, and not in India watching Bollywood movies.

Last edited by Rathji; 08-27-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rathji For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2009, 08:48 PM   #22
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Only thing to add- whenever you talk to Bell ask them if they mind if you also record the call (that's a bluff obviously) and then ask for their rep number. Then log the date/time, who you spoke to and what is offerred.

Then next month when you get your bill for $450 you have a leg to stand on.
I agree completely. Take very detailed notes at the very least and make sure you get the reps name/number. I had quite a problem with them. They even went to check the "tape" of my original call to see if I was ting them. I doubt they actually did. They got quite pissy and then I was transferred to retentions and he gave me everything that I thought I was getting in about 30 seconds. Really made me mad they had to go through the song and dance.

Then of course I had to call to get the bill straight when it came too. I did not pay until it was right though.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2009, 11:08 PM   #23
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another thing, don't give Bell your credit card or bank number for automatic withdrawals, otherwise you have a chance that your bills go smoothly.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2009, 11:13 PM   #24
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Jeez, now you guys have me kinda hoping for a pvr replacement from shaw. I do have to hand it to them, I've had great help whenever I've called them ... And I understood everything they had to say which is more than I can say for bell.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:03 PM   #25
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Update! PVR is dead and not under warranty.

Ok CP ... I'm now fishing for advice.

I chatted with both Bell and Shaw and Bell seemed far and away the better choice. I talked to Shaw and they really couldn't come close to even matching it. I made my decision to go with Bell and decided to cancel my Shaw. Well boy howdy did that grease the gears of negotiation! I am now in a position where Shaw and Bell are both within $100 of each other over the course of a year. Bell is still cheaper, but there would be an inherit disadvantages of going with them (install, dish on the house, customer service reps that I can't understand, under contract for 2 years etc.).

On a side note if you're wanting to get cheaper Shaw and have been with them for a little while, call to cancel and see what happens! They are willing to drop my monthly cable bill from $70 to $45.

Here are the current figures:

Shaw
PVR = $250
Cable (Standard + all HD) = $45/month

Bell
PVR = $300
Cable (Standard + all HD*) = $33/month in year 1, $43/month in year 2

I know shaw is giving away free PVR's to new subscribers as my friend just got one the other day. Sadly I was unable to secure the same deal. Should I play hardball or just concede that this is the best deal I'm going to get?

Help me CP ... you're my only hope.

* okay not all HD ... 90% of the HD
Old 09-04-2009, 06:36 PM   #26
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would go with Shaw.

My experience (which was pre-HD) with Bell was substandard in every way to my experience with Shaw, with the exception of the price.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:50 PM   #27
Eddie Bronze
Franchise Player

Exp:

You'd be getting brand new Shaw HDPVR for less than half price???

Die.
Eddie Bronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:12 PM   #28
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always play Hardball but it seems like the american cable providers are a lot easier to get to give in.

My dad has Dish Network and doesnt have HDTV... he saw my Hi Def the other day and wants it .. I called up and they gave me the song and dance. My dad has 6 receivers and 3 dishes. ( the regular house and the lake house) He also pays close to 175 for every Standard Def channel, 175 bc he has to pay for two different houses. They wanted to charge me 300 for two dual tuner Hi DEF DVRS, 10/month for each of the other 4 receivers , charge us to install 2 new Hi Def dishes and then 30 bucks for high def tuning.

I just said Wow all that stuff is free if i sign up direct tv except its 20 bucks for the tuning instead of 30$ , I would also get one free hi def dvr and have to pay for one DVR if I wanted two but I only need 1.

That is all I had to say , nothing about canceling, just that general statement and this was the service reps response. Well Mr Nickerjones, You have been a loyal customer for 6 years , never had a late payment , I think we can work with you. Here is a deal We will come install the dishes for free , no charge for receivers, 1 free Hi def Dvr , 200 for the 2nd dvr, and 10 bucks a month for the expanded Hi def....

I then said I dunno 200 for that receiver is a lil high

Well All in all i got the package mentioned above and the 2nd Hi Def receiver for 100 bucks ....
Old 09-05-2009, 01:18 AM   #29
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Bronze View Post
You'd be getting brand new Shaw HDPVR for less than half price???

Die.
Technically it is half ... I believe they retail for $500. I think I'll go with them tomorrow. I prefer Bell's tv, but the few dealings with them I've had have been less than fun, and that appears to be the majority opinion.

Thank you to all that have contributed.

Tags
bell , centre ice , hannibal lector reference , pvr , shaw