Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
cammy13
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Flames Shaw vs Telus TV

I am about to move into a new house and I'm not sure which company I should use for tv. I would like to get opinions on cost, quality of service, ease of installation etc. Any suggestions would be most helpful
cammy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Its like asking Apple of Android...you will get opinions on both sides. I've had a bad experience with Telus and Shaw has been perfect for me. Others will say the exact opposite. Find the best deal and go with it.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had Telus for about 6 months and I've had a tech out 3 times to fix the service. This weekend I didn't have TV or Internet for 2 days. The product is better than when I was with Shaw, but the reliability hasn't been there for me.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rotten42 hit the nail on the head.

Both are pretty comparable. Find a plan you like and go for it, but just make sure you don't go for a contract just to get something free, you might find after 3 months service with whomever isn't the best and want to try the competition.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Like rotten said, I'm the guy that had the opposite experience. I'm a Telus fanboy. One pleasant surprise when I switched back a few months ago, was yes, they give you the 42" LED TV for signing the 3 year contract, but their cancellation policy has been cleaned up to a nice, fair, $10/month for your remaining months. So the way I figure, I got a $400 TV for $360, and for every month I don't cancel, it gets cheaper and cheaper.

Shaw was horrible for me. I don't know if my Gateway system was a lemon, or the fact I lived in an old bungalow in Altadore, but it was just terrible, and I couldn't wait to go back to Telus. The cancellation policy at Shaw was that I had to pay for my entire system outright, so that was ~$440, but then I sold the equipment on Kijiji for $300 or something. So Shaw is better that way, but I don't plan on cancelling TV anytime soon, so it doesn't bother me that I'm in a contract with Telus.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
Baxter Renegade
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I switched from Shaw to Telus a couple years ago. I really like Telus. Their guide is superior, and the technology (Telus Smart Remote App) is excellent. I have never had any issues and have never called in a trouble ticket during these past 2 years.

Great selection of HD channels, excellent internet speeds.

I always recommend Telus when asked this question... You should go with Telus.
Baxter Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baxter Renegade For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
cammy13
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Awesome thanks so much for the feedback. I was with Shaw in my condo and it was good but my bill was always going up and the service stayed the same. In 3 years my bill went from $150/month to 191/month for cable and internet. I'm on the fence about Telus because of the contract and I don't know anyone who uses them to give me some type of review.
cammy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I've been thinking about switching lately, but haven't compared the packages between them yet. I love my Shaw service, and have been using them since 2004....but the cost constantly seems to be going up, and I'm starting to wonder if I'm overpaying.
MrCallahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #9
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Shaw is garbage. In every way. Telus is like a breath of fresh air.
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #10
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150 View Post
Shaw is garbage. In every way. Telus is like a breath of fresh air.
What a well thought out and reasoned post.

I think I will call in today and get my internet speeds cut in half and my bandwidth cap reduced.

I will tell them to give you the commission.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #11
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing with shaw if you are willing to go through the pretend to quit process you can basically get 50% of your bill for a year then wait a year and do it again. So I average paying 75% of shaws list price. You shouldnt have to do it but Shaw retentions has been good to me.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #12
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
One thing with shaw if you are willing to go through the pretend to quit process you can basically get 50% of your bill for a year then wait a year and do it again. So I average paying 75% of shaws list price. You shouldnt have to do it but Shaw retentions has been good to me.
Was told that I would be able to 'renew' the promo pricing for new customers when I first signed up 6 months ago and obviously when i call in to bhave it reapplied, this other agent has no idea where I was told the previous offer.
They did give me a discount which is less than previously given.

It's just too much of a hassle to be swapping back and forth with the last time we did it, our main phone line (line into the wall) was rendered useless because of some terrible wiring when we used Telus years and years ago. 4 techs came and went and most of them tried the same things to no avail. Was almost charged for the 'additional labor' because the first tech was running late and couldn't spend anymore time on it.

Of course, this is for phone/Internet since I've been using BellTV since forever.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #13
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
What a well thought out and reasoned post.

I think I will call in today and get my internet speeds cut in half and my bandwidth cap reduced.

I will tell them to give you the commission.
Cap bandwidth is almost identical... telus has more bandwidth for their 15 than shaws 10... so it's hard to make an exact comparison. But generally the caps are the same. telus does max out at 50 megs tho... but cant imagine the desire for 75 or 100 megs is a pretty common thing. and shaws more expensive...
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brannigans Law For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2013, 05:42 AM   #14
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannigans Law View Post
Cap bandwidth is almost identical... telus has more bandwidth for their 15 than shaws 10... so it's hard to make an exact comparison. But generally the caps are the same. telus does max out at 50 megs , in a few locations, but not Rathji's house for the foreseeable future, and even then, not likely unless he calls in at the right time of the month when some other Telus customer has decided to pay the early termination fee on their contract so there are enough open ports tho... but cant imagine the desire for 75 or 100 megs is a pretty common thing. and shaws more expensive...
FYP.

Although you are correct, it appears they did raise the bandwidth caps, so that deficiency is eliminated.

Until Telus can get me 50Mbps with at least 3 Mbps Up to my house, they are not an option. Even if Shaw is more expensive.

Last edited by Rathji; 10-22-2013 at 05:45 AM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #15
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Fair enough, it really is location dependant. When I lived in the NE Shaw was amazing and telus sucked cuz the house had bad wires and was in an older area. Now where I'm at it's the opposite, Shaw was so bad at nights and the TV kept having audio issues I had to switch to telus.

I think really the first deciding factor people should consider when picking shaw or telus is who has the better wiring and connection in your area, and then move on to price and what they offer.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shaw , telus tv