Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who do you WANT to be the Flames starting goalie in 2017–18?
Ryan Miller (UFA) 0 0%
Jonathan Bernier (UFA) 0 0%
Steve Mason (UFA) 0 0%
Brian Elliott (UFA) 0 0%
Chad Johnson (UFA) 0 0%
Mike Condon (UFA) 0 0%
Philipp Grubauer (Trade) 0 0%
Calvin Pickard (Trade) 0 0%
Marc Andre-Fleury (Trade) 0 0%
Jaroslav Halak (Trade) 0 0%
Antti Raanta (Trade) 0 0%
Cam Ward (Trade) 0 0%
Joonis Korpisalo (Trade) 0 0%
Mike Smith (Trade) 0 0%
Jon Gillies 0 0%
David Rittich 0 0%
Peter Mrazek (Trade) 0 0%
Micheal Neuvirth (Trade) 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 08:25 PM   #441
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Halak-Rittich please

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 05-09-2017, 08:31 PM   #442
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Halak-Rittich please
Freaking why? Halak was buried in the AHL last year and Rittich has exactly 1 pro year where he played in a tandem in the AHL. Why go shopping in the bargain bin of a condemned K-Mart store when you've got Amazon at the tips of your fingers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
The exposure requirement is a wrinkle in any possible trades that Flames might try to make. For example, if the Pens trade either Fleury or Murray, they won't have a goalie to expose.

That made me curious as to which teams have more than one exposure-eligible goalie in their systems. These are the teams who are more likely to be a potential trade partner with the Flames before the expansion draft. None of them jump out at me as a player I'd be excited to see as the Flames' starter next season.
  • BOS: Khudobin/Subban
  • CAR: Ward/Lack/Altshuller (assuming they protect Darling)
  • CBJ: Dansk/Korpisalo/Forsberg
  • DAL: Lehtonen/Niemi/Kiviaho/Lagace (assuming they sign and protect Bishop)
  • DET: Howard/Coreau
  • LAK: Zatkoff/Campbell
  • NYI: Halak/Gibson
  • NYR: Raanta/Skapski
  • OTT: Hammond/Driedger
  • STL: Hutton/Binnington
  • TOR: Bibeau/Sparks
The Pens situation is pretty easily remedied. They simply need to sign a goalie prior to the expansion draft.

Agreed, that list is fairly horrific - no one on there looks like a #1 goalie at this stage. I'm not very fond of Raanta, but suddenly he looks like one of the better "known" options. Also, I believe there are some people out there that strongly believe Coreau is Detroit's guy? I've been thinking that Mrazek may end up being the guy the Flames end up with at the end of the day.

Last edited by ComixZone; 05-09-2017 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:46 PM   #443
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

With Bishop and Darling off the board, can we start a new thread & poll? 36% of the vote went towards those two.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:58 PM   #444
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
With Bishop and Darling off the board, can we start a new thread & poll? 36% of the vote went towards those two.
Yeah, I'd change my vote from Bishop to Grubauer now.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:03 PM   #445
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Big, vezina quality goaltender with great rebound control and elite puck handling skills.

Gone.

####

I couldn't even vote now.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:05 PM   #446
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

Was Grubauer from the start and I think it would be excellent an excellent fit in Calgary.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:08 PM   #447
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It is going to be one of Cory Schneider or Mrazek, dark horse vote to Carey Price.
The Following User Says Thank You to Par For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2017, 09:10 PM   #448
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

They have talked about him on the FAN a couple times but what do the Devils do with Cory Schneider? 31 years old 5 years left $6M per. The Devils appear to be heading towards a rebuild so would he be available?
Old 05-09-2017, 09:12 PM   #449
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

If Cory Schneider could be had for 16th overall & Gillies, that would be incredible.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:26 PM   #450
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
If Cory Schneider could be had for 16th overall & Gillies, that would be incredible.

No to trading Gillies. Brouwer, Bouma, 16 overall+Poierer+Rittch(the goalie)+2018 1st pick for Cory Schneider, Talor Hall and rights to Kovy(make it happen Brad the wirzard, now you are finally free.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:53 PM   #451
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Freaking why? Halak was buried in the AHL last year
The Islanders are a dumb team. Halak didn't play himself out of the NHL. Greiss is younger and they love their JF Berube for some reason. Ironically Halak pulled a 2015 Ramo and finished the season leading the defensively inept Islanders in SV% with a .915 (which also would have led the Flames).

Halak is an elite and consistent regular season goaltender who, when he's on, is simply unstoppable. He also has a career playoff SV% of .924 across 28 starts.

The only reason someone wouldn't want Halak is because they are under this size obsession assuming you have to be 6'3" or taller these days. It's true Halak is short but it has never impacted his save-making.

Quote:
Rittich has exactly 1 pro year where he played in a tandem in the AHL.
I watched the vast majority of Rittich's AHL season and I am confident he is good enough to be an NHL backup right now. A good one, too. At some point you have to grow a pair and promote guys to the NHL. Promoting Rittich not only gives us a chance at developing a potential starter, but leaves more starts available for Gillies and Parsons in the AHL. If Rittich fails you can always re-evaluate and sign a Karri Ramo. Unproven backup goaltenders can steal you games just as "proven" starters can lose you them.

Goaltending is unpredictable but from what I have seen Rittich is good enough to play in the big leagues as a backup. And I know Halak is a strong NHL starter, regardless of the delusional Islanders' handling of him. And if a guy like Rittich develops into a starter it's a better endgame than settling for a veteran backup mercenary.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 05-09-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:58 PM   #452
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Halak-Rittich please
I am very intrigued by Halak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 05-09-2017, 10:00 PM   #453
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Halak/Rittich duo? Christ, someone wants the 1st overall pick in 2018
The Following User Says Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
AC
Old 05-09-2017, 10:07 PM   #454
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Halal would do well in Calgary I think. And his acquisition cost would be low. Elliott and Halak combined would make an 82 game #1 goalie. And Halak has a positive playoff history.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:07 PM   #455
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Halak/Rittich duo? Christ, someone wants the 1st overall pick in 2018
Yep that would be a crazy risk. Halak would have been available on waivers last year, no?
Old 05-09-2017, 10:18 PM   #456
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I am very intrigued by Halak.
Other than last season (where he faced 30 shots a game and posted .915) he has never had a GA above 2.5.

Two seasons of 57 starts or more one of which he got the Islanders to game 7 of the first round against a very good Capitals team. The other one of those years, he posted a .910 - Bishop was his third stringer and posted a .899 (7GP) and Conklin posted a .881 (25 GP).

Got the 2010 Habs to the ECF including an upset of the President's Trophy winners.

Split the Jennings Trophy with Elliott in 2012 posting a .926 / 1.97 GAA over 46 starts

Got 2016 Team Europe to a sudden death OT Final against best-on-best Team Canada

Career .917 SV%

Can't say I see the "risk" people are talking about. Of course every goalie has some risk, we could acquire Cory Schneider and there could still be risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Yep that would be a crazy risk. Halak would have been available on waivers last year, no?
Halak was waived because he was the oldest/most expensive guy in a three-headed goalie monster. And no one had room to pick a goalie with a 4.5 million cap hit up off waivers. Half the league would have been better off with him in net the day he was "waived", including us.

Last edited by GranteedEV; 05-09-2017 at 10:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2017, 12:13 AM   #457
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Halak is garbage.

Most intriguing team on getbak's list is CBJ with Forsberg and Korpisalo. I think one or both of those guys could turn into a quality starter. With them committed to Bobrovski I think the next attempt to find a young up and coming starter could be with Columbus. Their situation with Bob, Forsberg and Korpisalo reminds me of the Sharks back in the day keeping Nabakov over Toskala/Kiprusoff. I've been real impressed by Korpisalo when I've watched him.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 05-10-2017 at 12:18 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2017, 12:19 AM   #458
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Halak is garbage.

Most intriguing team on getbak's list is CBJ with Forsberg and Korpisalo. I think one or both of those guys could turn into a quality starter. With them committed to Bobrovski I think the next attempt to find a young up and coming starter could be with Columbus. Their situation with Bob, Forsberg and Korpisalo reminds me of the Sharks back in the day keeping Nabakov over Toskala/Kiprusoff
We agree here. Columbus is ripe to trade one of their two NhL ready kid goalies. I'd love Korpisalo, but Anton Forsberg is not far behind.

I will disagree that Halak is garbage though
Old 05-10-2017, 09:41 AM   #459
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never put him on my original list, but with a regime change in Buffalo maybe they move Lehner?

And if so, would he be fit here?

Maybe 16th for Lehner and 37th?
Or 16th for Lehner and 58th and 68th?
Old 05-10-2017, 09:54 AM   #460
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Heard Calgary is on Bishop's no trade list.

Kind of ridiculous that he held failed past negotiations against the team. Get over yourself man. Hope his next starter gig is flop for that.

I'd go after a young tender on a short term deal now. No way am I going back to the same tandem, except Johnson in a backup capacity.
Closed Thread