Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2017, 10:39 PM   #121
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I hate to argue against flames players. But I don't think I'm selling the flames young d short. Hamilton is a great player but he's a Brian Rafalski not a Scott Niedermayer. That's what I'm saying. Giordano simply can't be expected to keep it up and there really isn't another true #1D coming in at least among the active NHL roster.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:51 PM   #122
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

We haven't seen peak Brodie or peak Hamilton yet. Both have higher ceilings.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:15 AM   #123
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
I hate to argue against flames players. But I don't think I'm selling the flames young d short. Hamilton is a great player but he's a Brian Rafalski not a Scott Niedermayer. That's what I'm saying. Giordano simply can't be expected to keep it up and there really isn't another true #1D coming in at least among the active NHL roster.
Like his potential is Brian Rafalski, or he's currently Brian Rafalski and could grow to be the defensemen you're describing that this team would need to be a contender?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:33 AM   #124
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dougie Hamilton at age 23 hit 50 points finishing 9th in defence scoring and 9th in Norris votes. To me this screams a future top 5 defenceman and regular Norris candidate.

Also, since Scott Neidermayer was brought up as a comparison he didn't have a 50 point season until age 24...
Old 08-06-2017, 12:59 AM   #125
Jimdon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Dougie Hamilton at age 23 hit 50 points finishing 9th in defence scoring and 9th in Norris votes. To me this screams a future top 5 defenceman and regular Norris candidate.

Also, since Scott Neidermayer was brought up as a comparison he didn't have a 50 point season until age 24...
It boggles the mind to think that there are people who see a 23 year old d man playing top pairing matchups while scoring 50pts and think "well he's not good enough to win a cup". Unless there's 30 other d men out there who are better than him then He's a number 1 caliber defenseman.

Last edited by Jimdon; 08-06-2017 at 01:01 AM.
Jimdon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jimdon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2017, 01:19 AM   #126
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
How can you possibly know this?

At the start of the 2009-10 season, Mark Giordano was 26 years old and had the following stats:

NHL - 103gp 9g 25a 34p
AHL - 144gp 22g 54a 76p
KHL - 50gp 4g 8a 12p

Here are the list of Flames D, 26 or under, currently under contract:

Travis Hamonic 26; Dougie Hamilton - 24; Tyler Wotherspoon - 24; Brett Kulak - 23; Josh Healy - 23; Rasmus Andersson - 20; Oliver Kylington - 20; Juuso Valimaki - 18

If you actually know for sure that none of these players are going to be a #1 D, can I please know what next week's super seven numbers are? I could use that money.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2017, 02:51 AM   #127
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Gio is a fitness freak i wouldn't sell him short due to his age.Niedermayer is a HOf dman one of the best alltime.I seen him play many times.Tell me who has a Niedermayer in todays game?I would let this season play out before we see how good the Flames D is.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:55 AM   #128
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
False. Dougie Hamilton is an emerging #1 defenseman who could rank among the league's best for the next seven or eight years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2017, 06:15 AM   #129
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brian Rafalski hadn't even entered the league at Hamilton's age. He did get a few cups though. Would be sweet if Hamilton could surpass him in that stat especially.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:19 AM   #130
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Giordano sure doesn't look like he is slowing down, and Hamilton at 24-years-old with a +50-point season already on the books looks to be the definition of a burgeoning "sublime defenceman."

I think you sell the Flames forwards short, but you sell their defensemen even shorter.
The sorts of defensemen Tinordi is talking about do more than put up points. They're all-around studs who a coach is comfortable putting out against elite opposition in a tight games. I haven't seen that from Hamilton yet. He often gets the yips when he doesn't have the puck, and gets caught swinging his stick at guys who beat him with speed. He's still young and improving. But he needs to learn to apply his natural gifts to play without the puck.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:39 AM   #131
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The sorts of defensemen Tinordi is talking about do more than put up points. They're all-around studs who a coach is comfortable putting out against elite opposition in a tight games. I haven't seen that from Hamilton yet. He often gets the yips when he doesn't have the puck, and gets caught swinging his stick at guys who beat him with speed. He's still young and improving. But he needs to learn to apply his natural gifts to play without the puck.
Tinordi made the statement that he did not believe there were any emerging number 1 D on the active Flames roster.

I beg to differ.

Please feel free to name the 24 or younger D that have produced more, consistently, and have more upside than Hamilton.

It will be a very short list.

I believe he will continue to develop and will become an excellent 1D.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:06 AM   #132
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?aggr...=pointsPerGame

Aggregate stats for the last 5 seasons for D that have played more than 250 games.

NOBODY is younger that has a higher point standing than Hamilton.
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2017, 09:18 AM   #133
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Agree with Mr Timbit, some are really selling Dougie short. Has he mastered the defensive end yet? No, but few do at 23. Brian Rafalski wasn't even in the league until his 26th birthday so that comparison is a bit mucky. While good, Rafalski was the quintessential support D for star blueliners. He lined up with Scott Stevens and then Niedermayer with the Devils, then signed with the wings and rode shotgun for Niklas Lidstrom for the rest of his carrer. A couple pretty sweet gigs. Yes Hamilton has Giordano but that's a very good big and take relationship IMO, Gio isn't carrying that pairing.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:11 AM   #134
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?aggr...=pointsPerGame

Aggregate stats for the last 5 seasons for D that have played more than 250 games.

NOBODY is younger that has a higher point standing than Hamilton.
I don't agree with Tinordi, but I can see why some are skeptical of Hamilton. A lot of people want a perfect defenseman that can score points, be your best penalty killer, drill guys into the 4th row, and sell beers during intermission. When they aren't all of those things, there are going to be skeptics.

While I believe Hamilton has some growing to do on the defensive side of his game, he is by far the best young defenseman on the offensive side, and the best all around defenseman in the game under 25. Every team in the NHL would take him on their roster and play him 30 minutes a night of they had the opportunity. Hamilton is that good, and we are damn lucky to have him on our roster.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2017, 04:41 PM   #135
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I don't agree with Tinordi, but I can see why some are skeptical of Hamilton.
I am okay with skepticism but there have been a minimal portion of posters that have been cynical ( not Tinordi) regarding Hamilton, since the trade.

Are they that stubborn or just lack evaluation skills?

IMO, one of ...if not the best ever trade(s) and signing(s) made by the Flames.

Kudos to Treleving.
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2017, 05:18 PM   #136
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by textcritic View Post
fyp
Old 08-06-2017, 05:23 PM   #137
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hamilton is a great young defenceman who is only trending up but I think he benefits greatly from playing with Gio. Gio is like Backlund, whoever plays beside them has a career year. Would be interesting to see Hamilton's stats with Gio, with Chara and without either of those players. Still think Hamilton can be a true #1 in a few years if he keeps learning an all around gam though.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:42 PM   #138
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
fyp
Interesting.

I wonder if Hamilton will be a better D than Matteau?
Old 08-06-2017, 06:45 PM   #139
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There is a lot of negatively in this thread and it has mostly to do with the Flames not getting further in the playoffs. If the Flames make it past the Ducks, than this thread would likely be less negatively.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:08 PM   #140
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

I can't look at these posts without cringing... Dougie is a very very good defenceman and is very underrated on this website.
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote