Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2010, 11:52 PM   #21
flames_1987
#1 Springs1 Fan

Exp:

I remember the question was posed back in 04..who will benefit more from their new CBA..the MLB's rushed plan that saved them from losing any games to a lockout or the NHL who lost an entire season but came out with a much stronger CBA?

Even though my expectations are much lower then previous seasons, I do find myself more excited then usual for this Jays season to get underway. As most of the other Jays fans on here, I'm willing to stick it out and be patient with this young core, all I ask for in return is some sort of plan and the feeling that this is leading somewhere.
flames_1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:43 AM   #22
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm View Post
Jays are up 5-1 on the Phillies. Bautista with a lead off home run in the first. Is hitting 3 for 3 so far today. Very interesting preseason so far.

Edit: make that 8-1 in the bottom of the 4th. Bautista is ripping it up preseaon in the lead off position. I hope against hopes that he will carry it over into the regular season.

10-1, still the bottom of the 4th.
Bautista vs right handers:

09: AVG .202, OBP .331, SLG .333
08: AVG .233, OBP .301, SLG .347
07: AVG .253, OBP .331, SLG .411
06: AVG .216 OBP .306 SLB .373

I'm holding out hope for an abberation of a season for Bautista but the numbers have consistently proven he is a platoon player at best. The guy is going to cause alot of Jays fans to pull their hair out this year.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:22 PM   #23
Berger
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Jays win again today 8-5. Wells, Ruiz, Bautista all with homeruns. Rommie Lewis with another perfect 9th inning for his 2nd save.........maybe something here.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:47 AM   #24
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Romero had a good outing....three innings of shut-out ball.

I think he and Marcum will battle it out for the #1 spot in the rotation.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #25
Ziggy Lidstrom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Man, am I ready for life after doc. 2010 AD...

This spring training is providing a lot of mixed results yet prolly more positive than negative leaving me intrigued. The rotation has a lot of depth. Hitters are looking good. Catching situation is defensively strong with buck and chavez. 'Aron Cibia' looks like he may turn into a special commodity at the big league level. Our bullpen looks awesome insofar as they are considering trading Jason Frasor, a native of chi town, to the Cubs. The cubs have some intriguing SS prospects: Castro and Hak-Ju Lee. The latter maybe enough to lure Frasor from AA's pocket. HOwever, I like the look of the team either way, but from scouting reports, the Lee prospect is special. He has rare speed, plays with great range, a good arm and is a wicked contact hitter. This could be our answer to the leadoff position. That's all speculation but worth considering.

What got me to post was this link. Apparently, Selig and his cronies are considering radical division re-alignment for the league. Looks like all the criticisms of the competitive balance are finally finding their way to his hairy-old-man-ears.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ent/index.html

Last edited by Ziggy Lidstrom; 03-09-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Ziggy Lidstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ziggy Lidstrom For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #26
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Lidstrom View Post
Man, am I ready for life after doc. 2010 AD...

This spring training is providing a lot of mixed results yet prolly more positive than negative leaving me intrigued. The rotation has a lot of depth. Hitters are looking good. Catching situation is defensively strong with buck and chavez. 'Aron Cibia' looks like he may turn into a special commodity at the big league level. Our bullpen looks awesome insofar as they are considering trading Jason Frasor, a native of chi town, to the Cubs. The cubs have some intriguing SS prospects: Castro and Hak-Ju Lee. The latter maybe enough to lure Frasor from AA's pocket. HOwever, I like the look of the team either way, but from scouting reports, the Lee prospect is special. He has rare speed, plays with great range, a good arm and is a wicked contact hitter. This could be our answer to the leadoff position. That's all speculation but worth considering.

What got me to post was this link. Apparently, Selig and his cronies are considering radical division re-alignment for the league. Looks like all the criticisms of the competitive balance are finally finding their way to his hairy-old-man-ears.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ent/index.html
Hey Zigg, what sites do you go for you baseball info and reading? I mostly only care about the Jays, but find other teams mildly interesting. Stuff about our prospects would be nice too.

I mostly go to Bastians Blog, drunk jays fans, and the MLB.com site. Any suggestions?
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:08 PM   #27
Flickered Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nm.
Flickered Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:11 PM   #28
Gozer
Not the one...

Exp:

I'd like to hear some of Ziggy's list too. On my list:

http://umpbump.com/press/ - concise posts, league wide
http://thesouthpawbaseball.blogspot.com/
http://www.bluejayhunter.com/
Old 03-13-2010, 10:00 AM   #29
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really like how direct AA is. No smoke and mirrors with this guy:

Quote:
Some of that is rooted into the clarity with which each player has been able to do his job, thanks to personalized meetings they had with Anthopoulos, assistant GM Tony LaCava, manager Cito Gaston, and either hitting coach Dwayne Murphy or pitching coach Bruce Walton.

The goal of the 4-on-1 chats simply was, according to Anthopoulos, to "connect with players more, get everyone in a better mental state of mind."

"We sat down with every single player in camp to give them a lay of the land, talk to them about what their opportunity was, what are expectations were of them," he continued during an interview from Dunedin, Fla. "We wanted them to hear it from our mouth so that when decisions were made about lineups or playing time, they weren't blindsided by it."
http://tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=313706
Old 03-13-2010, 11:58 AM   #30
flames_1987
#1 Springs1 Fan

Exp:

Such a welcome change from JP. Very excited for this season even with low expectations
flames_1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_1987 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2010, 01:28 PM   #31
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Same here. I'm not expecting much success this season, but am really looking forward to seeing some of the young guys on the team and how they progress.

Pitching should hopefully still be quite strong...........they could surprise a few teams.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:01 AM   #32
Antithesis
Disenfranchised

Exp:

Chiming in here too as someone with low expectations but very excited to see how things go this year. Excited to see how Marcum and McGowan do when they return to the rotation. Glad to hear some good things about Drabek as well.
Antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:02 AM   #33
ricoFlame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quite frankly, this is one of the most positive times for jays fans with respect to the future. I love it!
ricoFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #34
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Potentially a SS now....

http://mlbastian.mlblogs.com/

Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos' search for a long-term solution at shortstop may be nearing an end. On Sunday, a report indicated that Toronto was nearing a deal worth $10 million to sign Cuban shortstop Adeinis Hechavarria.

Citing an industry source, the New York Post reported that the 21-year-old Hechavarria has decided against signing with the Yankees, who are expected to sign Derek Jeter to an extension after this season. The reported deal would exceed the $8 million handed to Red Sox prospect Jose Iglesias.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #35
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
Potentially a SS now....

http://mlbastian.mlblogs.com/

Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos' search for a long-term solution at shortstop may be nearing an end. On Sunday, a report indicated that Toronto was nearing a deal worth $10 million to sign Cuban shortstop Adeinis Hechavarria.

Citing an industry source, the New York Post reported that the 21-year-old Hechavarria has decided against signing with the Yankees, who are expected to sign Derek Jeter to an extension after this season. The reported deal would exceed the $8 million handed to Red Sox prospect Jose Iglesias.

If the Jays can sign him, that is a great move. Definetely addresses an organization need.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:19 PM   #36
Ziggy Lidstrom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My list? well it's nothing too different from what JW and Goze have posted.

HOwever, where I think I may differ is that I read a lot of comments from fans of other teams. I use the MLBtraderumors site and if it's a story that interests me then I read the posted comments. It's the same with Tao of stieb.blogspot.com, and with drunkjays fans.com... Those two sites are courtesy of Goze.

Another source I commonly use is the SI.com team legend located at the bottom of the MLB section main page. There you can find articles relating to all teams in the league. I also use Baseball america and rotowire as cross-references for stats.

I'm sure there are others but I can only offer this much at the moment.

RE: Red hot's post... I like the Hechavarria option. I think the jays could get a yunel escobar light if they sign him. He would instantly improve our depth at the position.
If anything, AA is proving to be at least interested in international prospects.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #37
Gozer
Not the one...

Exp:

http://www.bluejayhunter.com/2010/03...h-is-over.html

Jays sign a Cuban shortstop.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:25 AM   #38
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wow, all of our great depth pitchers are really starting to get lit up in pre-season.

Rzep just gave up 2 home runs in a row to Sizemore and Cabrera. Detroit already up 3-0 in the first inning.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:27 AM   #39
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozer View Post
That doesn't say he is signed, it is speculation.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #40
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm View Post
Wow, all of our great depth pitchers are really starting to get lit up in pre-season.

Rzep just gave up 2 home runs in a row to Sizemore and Cabrera. Detroit already up 3-0 in the first inning.
Recovered fine, going 4 innings and only allowing 3 runs. Jays now lead 5-3.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball , blue jays , greggzaun.com , haha buckner , yankees suck