Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2015, 06:40 AM   #1
Antithesis
Disenfranchised

Exp:
Default Sept. 15-17: Blue Jays vs. Braves Series Thread

Toronto Blue Jays (82-61, conquering Kings of the universe) vs. Atlanta Braves (56-88, long ago eliminated from the playoffs)

Probable Starters:

Tuesday @5:00 Mountain Time: TOR: Mark Buehrle, 14-7, 3.72 ERA; ATL: Julio Teheran, 10-7, 4.38 ERA
Wednesday @5:00 Mountain Time: TOR: TBD ERA; ATL: TBD
Thursday @5:00 Mountain Time: TOR: TBD; ATL: TBD

** The rotations are not set at the moment - but it is likely that David Price starts Wednesday for the Jays, with Drew Hutchison's spot up next though I really doubt it'll be him. **

So I've disliked the Braves since way back in '92 (of course), I would say almost entirely because of their stupid Tomahawk Chop that they (used to?) do. One of my favorite things back then - and to this day - was seeing Candy Maldonado and Roberto Alomar mockingly doing it while crossing the plate during that series. Clearly, I have to admit I am enjoying watching them stumble and bumble around at the bottom of the standings this season.

Found out something interesting that I didn't know about playoff seeding/tiebreakers. I'm worried that I might be wrong about it. My new understanding is that if there is a tie at the top of the division at the end of the season, but both teams are guaranteed a playoff spot, then the team with the better head-to-head record wins the division without a tiebreaker game. I realize that this may well be decades-old information at this point, but I just discovered it. If so, that's great news for the Jays as the Yankees would have to surpass them to take the division. With 19 games left, if the Jays go 10-9, that means the Yankees would have to go 14-5 to win the division. Very interesting ...

Stats Time!

Over his career, current Braves hitters have the following stats vs. Mark Buehrle: 141 AB, 55 H, 2 HR, 17 K, 0.390 AVG, 0.460 OBP, 0.496 SLG, 0.956 OPS

Over their careers, current Blue Jays hitters have the following stats vs. Julio Teheran: 68 AB, 23 H, 5 HR, 12 K, 0.338 AVG, 0.387 OBP, 0.632 SLG, 1.019 OPS

OK!

BLUE JAYS!

LETS!

PLAY!

BALL!
Antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Antithesis For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2015, 07:21 AM   #2
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

No EE and no Tulowitzki tonight. We may see EE back by the weekend? Tulowitzki will be weeks away yet. So I wonder what the lineup will be? Pennington isn't my favourite but I guess we'll have to get used to him.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:13 AM   #3
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
No EE and no Tulowitzki tonight. We may see EE back by the weekend? Tulowitzki will be weeks away yet. So I wonder what the lineup will be? Pennington isn't my favourite but I guess we'll have to get used to him.
We might start seeing Darwin Barney get used instead of Pennington because of his superior bat and glove.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2015, 09:24 AM   #4
Hatter
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hopefully we finally get to see Price at the plate. He's been pacing around the dugout holding a bat for weeks!
Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:07 AM   #5
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
Hopefully we finally get to see Price at the plate. He's been pacing around the dugout holding a bat for weeks!
He better go yard.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:22 AM   #6
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huge week for the Jays. 19 games left and they have a pretty clear advantage in the schedule this week.

Jays are playing the Braves and then hosting the Red Sox. Meanwhile, the Yankees are facing some tough pitchers in Tampa and then face the Mets. You know the Mets will be jacked for that series.

All the Jays need to do is match the Yankees' record for the week, which would maintain their 3 game lead and take another 6 games off the schedule.

But with these opponents, the Jays should hopefully be able to gain a bit more on NY, which would all but end it.

I thought they might start Price tonight on 3 days' rest so that he could go Sunday against the Yankees on full rest. Oh well.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:50 AM   #7
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Barry Davis ‏@SNBarryDavis
Pete Walker just announced on Baseball Central that Estrada will start Thursday in Atlanta. #bluejays

Hutchison will pitch out of the pen for now but Walker says he could get another start. #BlueJays

That likely means Stroman makes his next start Friday at home vs Red Sox. #bluejays
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2015, 11:27 AM   #8
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Huge week for the Jays. 19 games left and they have a pretty clear advantage in the schedule this week.

Jays are playing the Braves and then hosting the Red Sox. Meanwhile, the Yankees are facing some tough pitchers in Tampa and then face the Mets. You know the Mets will be jacked for that series.

All the Jays need to do is match the Yankees' record for the week, which would maintain their 3 game lead and take another 6 games off the schedule.

But with these opponents, the Jays should hopefully be able to gain a bit more on NY, which would all but end it.

I thought they might start Price tonight on 3 days' rest so that he could go Sunday against the Yankees on full rest. Oh well.
Oops, the Jays play the Yankees on Monday, of course
Old 09-15-2015, 11:30 AM   #9
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

Not that I disagree with the idea that the Jays have the more favorable schedule, but the Red Sox have been red hot for the past month and recently took 2 of 3 from the Jays rather easily. We also play those same Rays pitchers 6 more times before the season is done. We get to play the Orioles 3 more games, and after bottoming out hard earlier this month, they are now 6-4 in their last 10 and starting to play better. Also, considering the history between the Jays and Orioles, you know they can't wait to play spoiler or possibly plunk some batters "accidentally".

Having a bunch of divisional games to end the year is not going to be an easy feat for the Jays, regardless of the records. The good news is that the Yankees also play a lot of divisional games and have a tough team in the Mets to play. Also, being without Texeira and Eovaldi for the rest of the year is going to be really tough on them.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:30 AM   #10
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

So if Estrada is going Thursday, Does Stroman go Friday and Dickey Saturday?

That would set up the Yankee series as:

Monday - Price
Tuesday - Estrada
Wednesday - Stroman
Old 09-15-2015, 11:33 AM   #11
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Flames Fan View Post
Not that I disagree with the idea that the Jays have the more favorable schedule, but the Red Sox have been red hot for the past month and recently took 2 of 3 from the Jays rather easily. We also play those same Rays pitchers 6 more times before the season is done. We get to play the Orioles 3 more games, and after bottoming out hard earlier this month, they are now 6-4 in their last 10 and starting to play better. Also, considering the history between the Jays and Orioles, you know they can't wait to play spoiler or possibly plunk some batters "accidentally".

Having a bunch of divisional games to end the year is not going to be an easy feat for the Jays, regardless of the records. The good news is that the Yankees also play a lot of divisional games and have a tough team in the Mets to play. Also, being without Texeira and Eovaldi for the rest of the year is going to be really tough on them.
Yes, but this series will be the Red Sox in Toronto, which is a better matchup.

And I was simply talking about this week. Yes, lots of divisional games to come after that.

The point is that they have a chance this week to extend the lead before the rest of the divisional games.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2015, 05:22 PM   #12
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Buehrle looking good to start. Seems like he's got his control back.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:27 PM   #13
whosurnabby
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Flames Fan View Post
Buehrle looking good to start. Seems like he's got his control back.
If the cortisone shot in the shoulder did work and Buehrle's back on being his old "Buehrle's gonna' Buehrl" self, then as much as I love Estrada's work all year, I still prefer Buehrle over him on the postseason rotation. Hands down, Buehrle's been the most consistent player that the Jays got from that Marlins trade 3 years ago. He's been dealing with bumps and bruises lately, but when he's ON, he's the most consistent guy in this pitching staff (except for Price, of course). And let's not forget that Buehrle HATED the circumstances regarding the Marlins-Toronto trade because his family was forced to live in Buffalo because of the stupid pitbull ban in Ontario (Papa Buehrle loves his pitbulls that much). What a pro.

Last edited by whosurnabby; 09-15-2015 at 05:35 PM.
whosurnabby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whosurnabby For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2015, 05:34 PM   #14
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice job Pennington!

Wait, how was he safe there? Wow...he got lucky.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:35 PM   #15
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

What the?

Buehrle at the plate and he gets a 4 pitch walk???

Oh, this pitcher for the Braves isn't gonna last long.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:37 PM   #16
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wooo! Smoak! Nice opposite field homer!
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:11 PM   #17
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see their 2000 fans are still doing that stupid chop in Atlanta.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:25 PM   #18
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

So many pitching changes..
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:48 PM   #19
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Can't seem to get the offense going tonight.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:51 PM   #20
whosurnabby
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Sanchez going for two innings again? Uh-oh. I don't feel good about that decision. Wish Gibby would learn from his previous mistake of letting Sanchez go for another inning.
whosurnabby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball , blue jays , braves