Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #81
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

^^^Yeah, he's an all world talent but a snotty little kid sometimes. His attitude really tarnishes the whole thing for me.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #82
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Not impressed at all with Suarez's reaction to being subbed off.
he is going to do something crazy in the next few weeks I can feel it

it's been like 18 months since he last tried to bite someone, he's due
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #83
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just hope it encourages him to be un-sub-offable next game, but it remains to be seen. Not looking forward to the lack of sleep that's happening the next two matches I must say.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:39 PM   #84
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
he is going to do something crazy in the next few weeks I can feel it

it's been like 18 months since he last tried to bite someone, he's due
I'd much rather have a player that cares too much then too little. I love the passion, but obviously he needs to express it in a better way at times. I think he'll be ok. Either that or we will just put a muzzle on him.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #85
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

2008:

2011:
TopChed is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TopChed For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2011, 03:31 PM   #86
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright, finally finished watching the whole thing.

Everton have a legitimate complaint, that red card was totally bogus. The thing that I dont understand is that Atkinson was right there, he couldnt have been more than a yard away. I dont understand that.

Other than that, not a magnificent game. 3 points, a win is a win and to hell with Everton and all that, Liverpool were still not looking good.

If I could sum my concerns up in a word it would be 'slow.'

Slow ball movement, little pace from the midfield and forwards, slow development of the play. Really, the game turned once Stevie and Bellamy showed up to inject a little passion into the team.

Long, looping slow crosses in the air, very slow movement from Adam in particular. It just isnt clicking yet.

I will say that Suarez has to chill. I love the passion but the theatrics have to stop. He either goes down in agony at slight contact or he flies into a rage at either the referee if a call doesnt go his way, but also at his own teammates. There were a few times where a ball wasnt very good or a cross was bad or no one picked him out in the attack and hes freaking out on his own teammates. Kenny's got to get a grip on this kid.

Carroll still not looking good for most of the match, but it was one of his better games. The guy is a beast, you can see that the CBs both working together have a hard time containing him, so he is making progress. If he keeps this up he should be much better very soon.

I think Craig Bellamy is going to be starting more games for this squad, that guy has serious passion when he plays, I really liked his contribution today. Cagey old veteran that still has pace to burn.

Still, a lot of room for improvement, but I agree with Macca, work in progress and they have to find a way to up the tempo.

Also, anyone who tuned in, Macca really went off on Tevez, City and the whole fiasco going on there. I totally agree with him.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:58 PM   #87
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was a Lapierre level dive by Suarez

just saw the highlights but after that it just seemed as though the game changed, probly would have ended with 3 points for the Reds either way but Atkinson is just terrible at his job

I saw Henry Winter say that some refs (he specifically mentioned Howard Webb) would love to talk to the media after games about big moments in games, but the whole union needs to agree to it and a lot of them have no desire to do so.
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:36 PM   #88
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

The more I think about it, the more I think Kelly should get a run at his natural position of CB. I think that maybe he lacks a little bit of quickness for RB. He is going to be a great player though.

A future back 4 of Flanno-Kelly-Coates-Robinson with Wilson as the 5th guy looks pretty impressive to me.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:11 AM   #89
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Liverpool Looks to Break Away From Collective TV Rights Deal and Sell Its Own Live Games to Overseas Markets

According to the Guardian, Ayre wants to break from the model where live EPL games are collectively sold overseas and allow individual clubs to negotiate deals with broadcasters on a club-by-club basis.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:40 AM   #90
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Great game, we were the better team and should have got the 3 points there. Oh well, gives me confidence in this team for the future.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:23 AM   #91
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yep. Happy we at least got a point (and took 2 away form the ####e) but in 2 years time, I want Liverpool FC to be good enough that playing like that and getting that result would piss me off. REALLY wish that Henderson shot woulda gone in, it would've been a perfect goal to beat the Mancs with.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #92
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuje View Post
Yep. Happy we at least got a point (and took 2 away form the ####e) but in 2 years time, I want Liverpool FC to be good enough that playing like that and getting that result would piss me off. REALLY wish that Henderson shot woulda gone in, it would've been a perfect goal to beat the Mancs with.
We're not far off from being where we want to be. I think we just need one more creative player, and one clinical finisher. Something along the lines of Adam Johnson and Higiuan (just examples, not actually expecting them).

We created a lot of chances today and really pursued the ball all over the park. The only problems I saw were the lack of finish, and a few too many turnovers. If we can clean those up even just a tiny bit then we should have a great shot at the top 4.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #93
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Looks like our entire squad is fit for selection this weekend against Norwich. It will be interesting to see who gets picked now. I thought Kelly was great against united, so it will be tough to pick Johnson over him. The CB dilemma is also interesting with agger, skrtel and carra all healthy. I guess we will find out some of Kenny's preferences.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #94
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think Lucas is suspended due to yellows. As good a time as any being that it's Norwich this weekend. I'm just hoping that whatever team Kenny chooses is set up for an all out attack. I do wonder if he'll be tempted to rest Suarez though, he's played an awful lot lately on top of travelling to South America and back during the break. Might be a good time to start Bellamy/Carroll up front?
Old 10-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #95
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Full credit to Norwich, they played really well, Leon Barnett was a one man wall against Suarez and Kuyt, the addition of Carroll went well and he got some good chances.

Again though, this Liverpool team is lacking creativity, pace and finish. Suarez could have had 5 goals today, hit the post once and few poor attempts right at the goalkeeper, not to mention the Carroll miss at the death.

And, as good as Suarez is, someone has to take that boy aside and calm him the hell down. You CANNOT be screaming at the ref or linesman every single time a call doesnt go your way.

Further, his flopping, much like everyone's flopping, is working against him. All game he went down when he was barely nudged in the back, and not once did he get the call. Then, in the second half when he had a legitimate claim for being brought down when he might have had a break, no call. Of course there isnt going to be a call, that was a long distance break, the ref cant see it that far away and based on reputation hes not going to get the benefit of the doubt.

Anyways, Norwich put on a very good performance, but once again we see that Liverpool cant move the ball with any pace, Enrique is a prime example, he receives the ball and.....stops. They cant move the ball with speed and there isnt enough creativity. That and when they do get good opportunities they have no finish.

At this point, I just hope they've got enough to either inject some life into this squad in the next transfer window or sort themselves out enough to get into the Top 4.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #96
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I really enjoy watching this team. The are full of energy and effort for the whole 90. I agree with the above that we just lack a bit of the quick ball movement. Kuyt is a big part of that. He is great off the ball but is just too slow with the ball. I think we just need one more creative player and someone with some finish. We are close.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:23 AM   #97
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Is it nit-picking that I focus on Andy Carroll and his complete lack of contribution?

35 million pounds...for what, exactly? Missing free headers? He's frigging great at that.

He has no pace whatsoever, his passing is pretty much terrible, he misses headers like crazy......WTF does this guy bring to the team?

Aaaaarrrrggghh. I'm sorry Locke, but I'm hating him so far.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:28 AM   #98
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
I really enjoy watching this team. The are full of energy and effort for the whole 90. I agree with the above that we just lack a bit of the quick ball movement. Kuyt is a big part of that. He is great off the ball but is just too slow with the ball. I think we just need one more creative player and someone with some finish. We are close.
Lots of energy and no finish. Great. Sure, some bad luck played a part today, but this is starting to be a pattern with this team.

Can't Goddamn finish. Sounds like another team we know, doesn't it?

Old 10-23-2011, 11:24 PM   #99
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Krack Korn View Post
Lots of energy and no finish. Great. Sure, some bad luck played a part today, but this is starting to be a pattern with this team.

Can't Goddamn finish. Sounds like another team we know, doesn't it?

I'm not overly worried about the finishing. Carroll will come good in time, and I think we'll add another quality striker in January or the Summer. I think we will be ok as long as we don't lose touch with the top 4 before the next transfer window.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:56 AM   #100
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to TopChed For This Useful Post:

Tags
anfield , gerrard , ynwa