Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default Justin Bourque gets 75 years no parole

Mountie killer gets massive sentence for killing 3 officers and wounding two others and terrifying a town.

Good sentence justice done.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...ders-1.2818516

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Justice was served pretty swiftly on this one
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:42 PM   #3
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glad this pos will never see freedom again.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:43 PM   #4
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm glad this scumbag is gone forever but I have to ask, seriously this crime is worse than Pickton or Bernado or Olson? This is the longest sentence since the death penalty was abolished apparently, why?
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

He was a scumbag with no moral compass but I'd argue that he was deranged, under-socialized, un-educated, and impressionable and we need to examine these factors to find out the motivations of people who want to harm society this way.

Many profiles I've read point to his religious upbringing and being home-schooled as contributing to his personality, detachment, and lack of empathy.

Obviously this is only one case and there are many more instances that point to the contrary but really think it's highly important for people to be educated in the broader school system and to be raised with their peers if we are going to form a cohesive society.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-31-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:49 PM   #6
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think because the consecutive sentence options weren't available for Bernardo and certainly not for Olson.

I could be wrong on that but I think its the case.

Bernardo was also only convicted of two first degree murders and two aggravated assaults. even under the consecutive sentences he would have done less time.

Olson made a plea bargin deal and while he was convicted for I think 11 murders. his sentences were all concurrent. So he basically got 25 years and a dangerous offender tag.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2014, 02:50 PM   #7
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:04 PM   #8
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
He was a scumbag with no moral compass but I'd argue that he was deranged, under-socialized, un-educated, and impressionable and we need to examine these factors to find out the motivations of people who want to harm society this way.

Many profiles I've read point to his religious upbringing and being home-schooled as contributing to his personality, detachment, and lack of empathy.

Obviously this is only one case and there are many more instances that point to the contrary but really think it's highly important for people to be educated in the broader school system and to be raised with their peers if we are going to form a cohesive society.
Wow. I think the school system is quite detrimental to children these days and there are better ways of socializing them than forcing them into farily large groups of people they may not have anything in common with....

Laugh if you want but the Duggars, (you know the 19 Kids and Counting family) have raised 19 exceptionally well behaved children up in a religious, home schooling environment.

As long as they're socialized, they seem to turn out fine. Sports or other interests is a better method (IMO) of socialization than the social construct of school. Bullying anybody? Remember Columbine? School isn't for everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:09 PM   #9
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
Wow. I think the school system is quite detrimental to children these days and there are better ways of socializing them than forcing them into farily large groups of people they may not have anything in common with....

Laugh if you want but the Duggars, (you know the 19 Kids and Counting family) have raised 19 exceptionally well behaved children up in a religious, home schooling environment.

As long as they're socialized, they seem to turn out fine. Sports or other interests is a better method (IMO) of socialization than the social construct of school. Bullying anybody? Remember Columbine? School isn't for everyone.
The public school system has it's flaws and is by no means the be-all, end-all solution, but I feel it is a far better regulated, monitored, and informed system of teaching and socializing young Canadians than the uncontrolled and behind-closed doors possibilities of home schooling. Of course, proper parental guidance, supervision, and extra-curricular activities are needed by all but the public school system is a way to at least get a measure or chance of that into a young person's life as well as providing the opportunities young people need to broaden their horizons and reach their potential - things they may not encounter when taught by untrained parents in a solitary home with limited resources and exposure to peers.

I view the hidden, unregulated, and isolated environments of home schooling as simply having a much higher probability than an established school system for engendering ignorance and fostering social deviance.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-31-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:31 PM   #10
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I think because the consecutive sentence options weren't available for Bernardo and certainly not for Olson.

Bernardo was also only convicted of two first degree murders and two aggravated assaults. even under the consecutive sentences he would have done less time.

Olson made a plea bargin deal and while he was convicted for I think 11 murders. his sentences were all concurrent. So he basically got 25 years and a dangerous offender tag.
It is also basically a moot point due to that dangerous offender status. Olson died in prison, and Bernardo likely will too.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:51 PM   #11
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
It is also basically a moot point due to that dangerous offender status. Olson died in prison, and Bernardo likely will too.
I know when Cody Legebokoff was recently sentenced, they had to give him concurrent sentences as well as the faint hope clause because even though that no longer exists, he committed his crimes when it still existed.

They labelled him a dangerous offender though and apparently when the opportunity for parole does come up, they take into consideration what the judge says at the time of sentencing. For that reason, the judge deliberately and explicitly said that he should never be let out and doesn't deserve to live among us. He knows that 20 years from now when many people forget the pain he caused, that his quotes will be used.

As for this case, obviously there can never be real justice, but at least they gave him everything they could. I am glad he at least showed a little remorse when it was over. He deserves to feel it forever.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:37 PM   #12
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Olsons still alive mores the pity.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:01 PM   #13
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I'm completely against home-schooling, but I hardly think that's underlying cause of sociopathy.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2014, 09:15 AM   #14
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Olsons still alive mores the pity.
Died of cancer three years ago.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2014, 01:54 PM   #15
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Interacting with people you may not have anything in common with is kind of important.

Quote:
I will laugh at this. That is a reality show, so it has nothing to do with reality.

In a past life, I taught a lot of kids with learning disabilities, and also some kids who were allegedly "home schooled". Most of those home school kids never would have met me if they went to an actual school, because an actual teacher would have taught them how to read.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 03:37 PM   #16
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Died of cancer three years ago.
My bad, must have missed that happy day.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:21 PM   #17
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I'm glad this scumbag is gone forever but I have to ask, seriously this crime is worse than Pickton or Bernado or Olson? This is the longest sentence since the death penalty was abolished apparently, why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

Criminal Code was amended on December 2, 2011 to include consecutive life sentences instead of concurrent.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:23 PM   #18
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Criminal Code is amended all the time in Harper's bid to mimic the United States.
fixed.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:24 PM   #19
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Criminal Code was amended on December 2, 2011 to include consecutive life sentences instead of concurrent.
Yup and I like that the consecutive sentencing is available.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:53 PM   #20
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
fixed.
I guess but it does make more sense doesn't it?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote