Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2014, 11:37 AM   #41
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Very happy they started this - it needs to be expanded. It is compeltely unfair to tax a single income fmaily much harsher than a dual income family.

To be completely fair they should go to family-based taxation, where the husband and wife (or partners, however you look at it) have a combined tax portfolio, so that you ar tax agnostic between income earners.

It would stop a lot of the tax planning that is just making lawyers rich and getting the government to the same place, where folks are doing all this dancing around to move income from one spouse to another.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:38 AM   #42
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I would benefit a lot more if things like health care expenses and daycare were considered family expenses instead of individual.
Agreed - stuff like this is what penalizes the single income family vs. the dual income family. Complete BS.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:45 PM   #43
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
what if you could move one spouse into a lower bracket but still keep the other in there, ie at least 1 drops down. I think this would be beneficial overall. Is there any information about how this is done? Will this process be quite complicated or just something added into quick books for example.

We usually do our own taxes but this year, since it could be a bit more complicated we might find a professional to help us. Any suggestions from CP?
Aside from the new family income splitting measures just announced there are a few ways: spousal loans, hiring a spouse for a corp, div income to the lower earning spouse, eligible pension income splitting, TFSA, RESP, CPP income splitting, etc.

Income splitting depends on your own personal situation and what would work best for you. If you do your own accounting the actual transaction could be done in quickbooks easily but there are tons of other factors to consider that quickbooks doesn't help with
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:37 PM   #44
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Todd Hirsch, Chief Economist at ATB Financial, just retweeted this image:

MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2014, 06:46 PM   #45
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

The more I think about this the more ridiculous it seems.

Should single parent households be only taxed at 50% of their income?? Their invisible second person is bringing in no income.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan02 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2014, 07:45 PM   #46
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
The more I think about this the more ridiculous it seems.

Should single parent households be only taxed at 50% of their income?? Their invisible second person is bringing in no income.
I agree, you could also say.

Should 2 working parents who make 60 -70 grand end up paying as much tax as a single income family that makes 140 grand?

I'm not sure that they should, I think the family contributing 2 full time works to society should benefit. And there are strains on the double income family that a single income family doesn't have. Cost of commuting, Child care.......
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:05 PM   #47
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Todd Hirsch, Chief Economist at ATB Financial, just retweeted this image:

Here are the articles that he's linking to:

http://www.pressprogress.ca/en/post/...amily-tax-plan

http://www.macleans.ca/economy/econo...politics/#edn1

Basically looks like this doesn't help any median or average income families at all (actually doesn't matter if they have kids or not). Just high income earners with a kid and a spouse (likely a wife?) that stays at home.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2014, 08:17 PM   #48
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Families-couples without kids should be the ones getting the tax breaks. We use fewer services and just based on my own observations in the places I have worked, are more productive workers.

As someone else mentioned, this more than anything helps wealthier single income families that don't need 2 incomes.

Just like the GST cut, it is another tax break that will not benefit the people that need the extra income the most.... but people see "tax break" and it ends up buying votes.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 10-31-2014 at 08:24 PM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2014, 08:32 PM   #49
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Families-couples without kids should be the ones getting the tax breaks.
The thing is that kids are a "drain" on the tax base for 20 years, then contribute for another 40. So by not having kids to pay taxes when you are old, you end up being a drain yourself when you retire, as you haven't put any new taxpayers into the system.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2014, 08:54 PM   #50
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
The thing is that kids are a "drain" on the tax base for 20 years, then contribute for another 40. So by not having kids to pay taxes when you are old, you end up being a drain yourself when you retire, as you haven't put any new taxpayers into the system.
Touché.

Although it isn't a guarantee that a kid grows up to be tax drain or a tax credit. Nor should it be assumed that a person without a child will not be putting in more than they get back.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 10-31-2014 at 09:38 PM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:30 PM   #51
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
Very happy they started this - it needs to be expanded. It is compeltely unfair to tax a single income fmaily much harsher than a dual income family.

To be completely fair they should go to family-based taxation, where the husband and wife (or partners, however you look at it) have a combined tax portfolio, so that you ar tax agnostic between income earners.

It would stop a lot of the tax planning that is just making lawyers rich and getting the government to the same place, where folks are doing all this dancing around to move income from one spouse to another.
The money to replace the lost taxes from that would have to come from somewhere. Essentially there'd be two options: they could raise everyone else's taxes to subsidize families who can afford to have one person stay at home, or they'd do what the US does and tack lost revenue onto their massive deficit. Neither is a good option.

There's a reason that most of the developed world has done away income splitting. It reduces labor participation (particularly among women), hurts lower income families, and does nothing positive for the economy.
opendoor is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2014, 08:57 AM   #52
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

As someone who gets full benefit from the 2k tax rebate I am disappointed in it. This is just terrible policy. If you can afford to have a single income to raise kids you don't need the tax break at the expense of other taxpayers.

Much better policy to help children and families would have been to direct all of the benefit into the UCB. At least all families would be benefited even though it's still a broad brush.

I would have much rather seen support directed at low income earners.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2014, 04:14 PM   #53
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
As someone who gets full benefit from the 2k tax rebate I am disappointed in it. This is just terrible policy. If you can afford to have a single income to raise kids you don't need the tax break at the expense of other taxpayers.
Certainly small sample size but the only people I know who will benefit the most from this are the most wealthy ones. In fact, they've already called dibs on the money as part of a new DSLR or a Holt/Nordstrom shopping trip.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:26 PM   #54
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, count me as one that will use the $2k to provide a little mortgage payment. I sure wouldn't consider us wealthy, although I make enough that my wife can stay home with the kids.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #55
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

So, the way that I read this - my family should benefit from this. Both myself and my wife work but I make 3x what she does. Am I wrong?
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:51 PM   #56
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Which is the child tax credit. Is that the line item on the non refundable tax credit list that gave you a 2 k tax credit?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:10 PM   #57
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Which is the child tax credit. Is that the line item on the non refundable tax credit list that gave you a 2 k tax credit?
Child tax credit - Line 367 which works out to about $350 per child maximum per year
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 11-01-2014, 10:15 PM   #58
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Is the government trying to encourage single income families here? Is it more of a social belief that kids are best brought up by their parents at home rather than daycare?

Could be a stupid question for sure, but if this is the intent, not sure they went far enough. Tough to see what the government was actually trying to achieve here actually.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:22 PM   #59
Righteous1
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think i'll just stick to laundering of my illegally earned millions
Righteous1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:14 AM   #60
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Is the government trying to encourage single income families here? Is it more of a social belief that kids are best brought up by their parents at home rather than daycare?

Could be a stupid question for sure, but if this is the intent, not sure they went far enough. Tough to see what the government was actually trying to achieve here actually.
Well there is an election next year, so what they're trying to achieve is a fee votes by buying them with our own money. It's the same song and dance with everyone at this point in the cycle.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote