Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2014, 03:51 PM   #41
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone ever have 'dreams' when you're in that half awake/half asleep stage, like right before you fall completely asleep? The other night I was lying in bed trying to fall asleep and I opened my eyes and there was this HUGE spider like thing (like the size of a bowling ball) hanging right over my face. Naturally, I flipped out and dove outta bed to avoid the thing only to look back and see that there was nothing there. This has happened to me a few times, all with imaginings of things that resemble spiders. Yuck.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:05 PM   #42
4oh3
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I dream about my teeth falling out. I read it's due to anxiety? Also like flying or falling from really large heights.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #43
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are lots of little tricks you can do to initiate a lucid dream. Tell yourself throughout the day that you want to be aware when you dream. Tell yourself this again before you fall asleep. You are a lot more consciously aware in your dreams then you might think. It's just a matter of finding that ''trigger'' that makes you fully aware.

In your dream. Look at your watch. Then look at it again. Both times will be different. Try turning on/off a light switch. Does it work? Probably not. Open a book. Do you see words or are the pages blank? Jump. Do you fly? There is no gravity in dreams. People who fly in their dreams aren't really flying. They are jumping long massive strides. Just remember little tricks like this and you'd be surprised how easy it is to initiate a lucid dream.

Want to resume a dream where you left off? A trick I do is as soon as I wake up is to close my eyes immediately. Don't let your mind think any thoughts. Then imagine yourself spinning in a circle getting faster and faster until you feel dizzy and then....faceplant. When your face hits the ground, you will be back in the environment you were previously. I swear this works. I can almost always resume a dream I woke up from.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:20 PM   #44
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
Does anyone else have dreams that happen later on in real life? Just curious for a friend.
Like Deja Vu? Sure. But they're generally super generic and not prophesy kind of stuff. Usually about me driving to Canmore or something and I turn to see a person in my passenger seat or see an animal on a hiking trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Anyone ever have 'dreams' when you're in that half awake/half asleep stage, like right before you fall completely asleep? The other night I was lying in bed trying to fall asleep and I opened my eyes and there was this HUGE spider like thing (like the size of a bowling ball) hanging right over my face. Naturally, I flipped out and dove outta bed to avoid the thing only to look back and see that there was nothing there. This has happened to me a few times, all with imaginings of things that resemble spiders. Yuck.
Not spiders... but I did once kick my SO off of the bed unknowingly when she tried to quietly sneak into bed so as not to disturb me. She told me this when I woke up to a thump.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:41 PM   #45
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Like Deja Vu? Sure. But they're generally super generic and not prophesy kind of stuff. Usually about me driving to Canmore or something and I turn to see a person in my passenger seat or see an animal on a hiking trail.
Yeah, that's just a glitch in the Matrix when they change something.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2014, 04:51 PM   #46
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I also can't run. I try to get my legs move, but I just can't run faster than slow motion. Very strange.
I've never had flying dreams (I wish I did) but I always get the not being able to run dreams. I'm trying to go somewhere, and yet I'm never able to make it. For every step I take forward, it seems I take two back. Very frustrating. Supposedly, it's representative of not being able to achieve the goals you want in life, which rings true for me.

Another regular dream is where I'm in a relationship I don't want to be in, usually my ex-girlfriend. She was perfectly fine, and we had no issues, but in these dreams, I'm always annoyed and feel trapped, thinking "how did I get back here. I don't want to be with this woman". Then I wake up, and realize I'm with my wife, and it's such a relief.

Of course, on the opposite side of the relief are the dreams where you've won the lottor or something like that, then wake up and go "goddamnit!'
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #47
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I actually had a dream that replicated the day before. I went through a day where nothing happened and I woke up when I went to bed in my dream.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:01 PM   #48
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a recurring dream where I am in a mall, and it always seems really familiar, like I've been there many times in my dreams.

Not a dream but today when my alarm went off, I was convinced it was Sunday, and I shouldn't get up.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:13 PM   #49
jeffman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have a recurring dream of buying tons of MicroMachine tanks for a dollar at London Drugs
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:24 PM   #50
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Also possibly known as sleep paralysis. It's when your mind is awake, however you have no motor functions yet as your body still thinks you're asleep. It's happened to me a couple times. I'm awake, but I cannot move. Panic ensues. Luckily that doesn't happen to me too often and I have no idea if that is what happens to you, but ya it can be quite scary.
That was a name I was given for it. Lucid sleep paralysis or something like that. The brain and body are in two different states of sleep.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:21 PM   #51
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have the test/missed class dream often, 16 years out of school.

A funny one I have: I used to wait tables at the Keg in Edmonton just off Whyte Ave. during university, I would be really busy but the twist was I would have tables in both the Whyte Ave location but also across town! I would usually wake up when I was running down Whitemud trying to get to the tables in the other location.

Strangely enough I saw this thread last night. Today I had a meeting downtown that I was going to suit up for (I work from home in my sweats most days) I had a dream where I was in a suit but had to squeeze between two cars in a parking lot and got my suit filthy from top to bottom.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:49 PM   #52
Harju
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Flying dreams have always been pretty common for me. Generally someone or something is after me and I have to take off. I fly like a bird. I have to flap my arms with great effort to get going but then once up can soar and coast on the air currents and only flapping occasionally.

I also have a dream where I am a guitarist in a rock band. In the dream, as in real life, I do not know how to play the guitar. I generally just move had hands and fingers and move to the music with the rest of the band. No one has caught on so far.

Unfortunately, now most of my dreams are half-awake dreams about issues and things at work I need to get done.

Last edited by Harju; 10-31-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Harju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:28 PM   #53
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
"I have a final exam for a course I didn't attend for the entire semester" dreams. The latter is especially weird since I graduated from university over 12 years ago.
I graduated from university about 12 years ago too and have this exact dream a few times a year. It's always a Sociology class. I didn't attend all year because I didn't know I was registered in it until just before the exam.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:37 PM   #54
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

A few weeks ago I had a dream that seriously messed me up for a couple of days.

I was in what looked like Africa and I watched a guy lead what looked like his pet monkey into the back of a small pickup truck .The monkey looked like it totally trusted this guy so there was no resistance or anything from the monkey's end. What happened next is the guy proceeded to take a huge rock and use it to bash the monkey's skull in. Next I watched the guy chop it up and start cooking it and then I woke up completely horrified.

The image of that was stuck in my head for days and it actually ruined my week, even though I knew it was all just a dream.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:50 PM   #55
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I also get sleep paralysis that some have mentioned. Scary as hell. It's a tough phenomenon to describe to people who don't have it, to explain how odd/jolting it is.

I've read (I think on CP) that there are various degrees of sleep paralysis that range from a couple of seconds to literally minutes, combined with thinking someone's in your room trying to attack you.....Just imagine being "awake" unable to move you body and you're dreaming that someone is attacking you....and this goes on for like 5 minutes? That's insane.

Luckily I'm on the low end of the scale and get it about once every 3 weeks or so. For me it's usually 5 - 10 seconds. I just lay there, trying desperately to move limbs, then I start feeling like I can't breathe (I'd imagine cause your body is still trying to breath extremely lightly like when you're sleeping, so you can't speed it up/take larger breaths), so panic sets in.

Then when I snap out of it, I usually just jolt up and breath heavily, like I've just woken from a nightmare. Pretty surreal experience every time.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:17 AM   #56
drewboy12
First Line Centre

Exp:

When I have dreams I am driving a car, it all seems like it makes logical sense, I feel I can see my surroundings fine, but I am always driving from the back seat behind the drivers seat... Logically makes no sense
V
Old 11-01-2014, 05:27 AM   #57
drewboy12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
I also get sleep paralysis that some have mentioned. Scary as hell. It's a tough phenomenon to describe to people who don't have it, to explain how odd/jolting it is.

I've read (I think on CP) that there are various degrees of sleep paralysis that range from a couple of seconds to literally minutes, combined with thinking someone's in your room trying to attack you.....Just imagine being "awake" unable to move you body and you're dreaming that someone is attacking you....and this goes on for like 5 minutes? That's insane.

Luckily I'm on the low end of the scale and get it about once every 3 weeks or so. For me it's usually 5 - 10 seconds. I just lay there, trying desperately to move limbs, then I start feeling like I can't breathe (I'd imagine cause your body is still trying to breath extremely lightly like when you're sleeping, so you can't speed it up/take larger breaths), so panic sets in.

Then when I snap out of it, I usually just jolt up and breath heavily, like I've just woken from a nightmare. Pretty surreal experience every time.
I have terrible episodes of sleep paralysis every couple years. feels like I am stuck for hours... I never know if I am dreaming or awake. Just stuck motionless in bed... Eventually in my "dream" I am able to crawl, slowly, so slow it seems like an hour to just get out of the bed. I eventually crawl out of my door, trying to yell for help, not able to yell. Then all of sudden snap into reality, and I am always in bed staring straight at the ceiling, and all the lighting from the dream, and real life is identical. The mental stress I have in these dreams is terrifying.

But in fair life return, every few months, I have incredible lucid dreams, those dreams that feel like they last days, of full self control. I fly around, meet cool people, go to crazy places, I always go to huge restaurants that make no sense, and of course, there is endless women in dream world. Every lucid dream I have had, I can remember in very fine detail. To the point, I can remember how someone had their hair done, that I walked past...

The brain. A crazy thing...

Oh, and a great movie about dreams, Waking Life. If you have not seen it, check it out.

How to know your dreaming? Look at digital clocks, the numbers are always a jumble, and never the same. Flick a light switch, lights don't turn on. Once you get your brain to understand that it is a dream, and not wake up from excitement, that you are consciously thinking, is one of the most incredibly special things.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:59 AM   #58
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I occasionally have dreams that i'm smoking and i wake up pissed off at myself. I quit over 20 years ago!!
pope04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:39 AM   #59
1stLand
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I had a dream last night that I was catching a return flight home and I was at the Airport trying to scan my passport to print out a boarding pass and it wouldn't work, and I was frantically running around the airport (in slow motion) trying to find a west jet counter before my flight left.

Then I had a dream that I found a really really old motorcycle and got it to work, and tried riding it up the hill on 17th avenue, and it wouldn't make it up the hill so I had to get off it and walk it up the road.

I always have dreams that I never finished University (I graduated in 2008) and I am about to graduate university and found out I forgot to drop a class that I barely attended and never handed in assignments on and now can't graduate.

Used to have a lot of dreams about my teeth falling out, but not anymore
1stLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:50 AM   #60
annasuave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I' have recurring dreams about swimming in the ocean and wanting to dive under to see coral and fishes. I take deeper breaths and deeper and deeper dives until I feel like my lungs are on fire, the surface is too far away, and there is no way possible to reach air. The moment of inevitability comes and I suck in a lungful of seawater - only to find I can breathe it! Then, the rest of the dream is spent happily exploring the ocean floor.

Sometimes, I'm a cowgirl in the Jurassic period and my job is to ride around on a horse herding brontasauruses, and shooting them with a rifle when its time to slaughter them and process them for market. That, I think is actually a lot weirder than the breathing underwater dream.
annasuave is offline   Reply With Quote