Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #21
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Being discussed here: http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=140936
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:41 PM   #22
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Caught beatin' the bacon? Who knows.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2014, 03:44 PM   #23
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
???? Was he doling out HJs in the bathroom? I dont get it.
Sorry my middle aged Englishness confused you, being handy in my culture refers to unwanted attention to the fair sex, very unwanted attention.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
RyZ
Old 10-26-2014, 03:45 PM   #24
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

A hands on approach?
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:09 PM   #25
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
It was reported in the G&M among other sources. Ghomeshi has also hired a PR firm, so no-doubt something scandalous is about to emerge.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle21308822/

Oooh, I love scandals.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:16 PM   #26
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just saw this statement from Ghomeshi on Twitter: https://www.facebook.com/jianghomesh...52357063881750

Quote:
Dear everyone,
I am writing today because I want you to be the first to know some news.
This has been the hardest time of my life. I am reeling from the loss of my father. I am in deep personal pain and worried about my mom. And now my world has been rocked by so much more.
Today, I was fired from the CBC.
(...)
About two years ago I started seeing a woman in her late 20s. Our relationship was affectionate, casual and passionate. We saw each other on and off over the period of a year and began engaging in adventurous forms of sex that included role-play, dominance and submission. We discussed our interests at length before engaging in rough sex (forms of BDSM). We talked about using safe words and regularly checked in with each other about our comfort levels. She encouraged our role-play and often was the initiator. We joked about our relations being like a mild form of Fifty Shades of Grey or a story from Lynn Coady's Giller-Prize winning book last year. I don’t wish to get into any more detail because it is truly not anyone's business what two consenting adults do. I have never discussed my private life before. Sexual preferences are a human right.
Despite a strong connection between us it became clear to me that our on-and-off dating was unlikely to grow into a larger relationship and I ended things in the beginning of this year. She was upset by this and sent me messages indicating her disappointment that I would not commit to more, and her anger that I was seeing others.
After this, in the early spring there began a campaign of harassment, vengeance and demonization against me that would lead to months of anxiety.
It came to light that a woman had begun anonymously reaching out to people that I had dated (via Facebook) to tell them she had been a victim of abusive relations with me. In other words, someone was reframing what had been an ongoing consensual relationship as something nefarious. I learned – through one of my friends who got in contact with this person – that someone had rifled through my phone on one occasion and taken down the names of any woman I had seemed to have been dating in recent years. This person had begun methodically contacting them to try to build a story against me. Increasingly, female friends and ex-girlfriends of mine told me about these attempts to smear me.
Someone also began colluding with a freelance writer who was known not to be a fan of mine and, together, they set out to try to find corroborators to build a case to defame me. She found some sympathetic ears by painting herself as a victim and turned this into a campaign. The writer boldly started contacting my friends, acquaintances and even work colleagues – all of whom came to me to tell me this was happening and all of whom recognized it as a trumped up way to attack me and undermine my reputation. Everyone contacted would ask the same question, if I had engaged in non-consensual behavior why was the place to address this the media?
The writer tried to peddle the story and, at one point, a major Canadian media publication did due diligence but never printed a story. One assumes they recognized these attempts to recast my sexual behaviour were fabrications. Still, the spectre of mud being flung onto the Internet where online outrage can demonize someone before facts can refute false allegations has been what I've had to live with.
And this leads us to today and this moment. I’ve lived with the threat that this stuff would be thrown out there to defame me. And I would sue. But it would do the reputational damage to me it was intended to do (the ex has even tried to contact me to say that she now wishes to refute any of these categorically untrue allegations). But with me bringing it to light, in the coming days you will prospectively hear about how I engage in all kinds of unsavoury aggressive acts in the bedroom. And the implication may be made that this happens non-consensually. And that will be a lie. But it will be salacious gossip in a world driven by a hunger for "scandal". And there will be those who choose to believe it and to hate me or to laugh at me. And there will be an attempt to pile on. And there will be the claim that there are a few women involved (those who colluded with my ex) in an attempt to show a "pattern of behaviour". And it will be based in lies but damage will be done. But I am telling you this story in the hopes that the truth will, finally, conquer all.
(...)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2014, 04:17 PM   #27
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

No matter what, this is unfortunate news for the CBC radio audience. I though he was a great radio personality.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:21 PM   #28
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
No matter what, this is unfortunate news for the CBC radio audience. I though he was a great radio personality.
Yeah, he was both thoughtful and entertaining. I hope he lands on his feet elsewhere.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:21 PM   #29
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
A hands on approach?
That would explain the $50M lawsuit...
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:29 PM   #30
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Yeah, he was both thoughtful and entertaining. I hope he lands on his feet elsewhere.
Too bad there doesn't seem to be any other venue in Canada that does what CBC radio does (apart from maybe the odd CKUA or college-radio station that probably pays peanuts), and definitely not with the same national reach. Any other radio media outlet in Canada is going to be some commercially driven crapfest.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in the US.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:31 PM   #31
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Just saw this statement from Ghomeshi on Twitter: https://www.facebook.com/jianghomesh...52357063881750
Quote:
About two years ago I started seeing a woman in her late 20s. Our relationship was affectionate, casual and passionate. We saw each other on and off over the period of a year and began engaging in adventurous forms of sex that included role-play, dominance and submission. We discussed our interests at length before engaging in rough sex (forms of BDSM). We talked about using safe words and regularly checked in with each other about our comfort levels. She encouraged our role-play and often was the initiator.
Based on that revelation, I'm wondering if he got more pleasure out of the Billy Bob Thornton interview that it seemed.

All kidding aside, it's no surprise that CBC didn't think that public funds being used to pay the salary of someone known to engage in BDSM would go over well.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:31 PM   #32
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

As the father of a daughter in her twenties, this is the kind of scum bag I warn my daughter to steer clear of, consensual or not the guys a creep.
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2014, 04:32 PM   #33
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

So, I was off on the drugs thing. But, it's very similar to the Sook-Yin Lee episode.

From the previously linked Ghomeshi twitter...

Quote:
CBC execs confirmed that the information provided showed that there was consent. In fact, they later said to me and my team that there is no question in their minds that there has always been consent. They said they’re not concerned about the legal side. But then they said that this type of sexual behavior was unbecoming of a prominent host on the CBC. They said that I was being dismissed for "the risk of the perception that may come from a story that could come out." To recap, I am being fired in my prime from the show I love and built and threw myself into for years because of what I do in my private life.
I really don't see why somebody's law abiding sex life should have any bearing on their ability to do a job.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2014, 04:44 PM   #34
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great, now I can't get a creepy image of Ghomeshi in tight leather out of my head.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:54 PM   #35
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
So, I was off on the drugs thing. But, it's very similar to the Sook-Yin Lee episode.

From the previously linked Ghomeshi twitter...

I really don't see why somebody's law abiding sex life should have any bearing on their ability to do a job.
Gnomeshi claiming it was consensual doesn't mean it was, although I suspect the CBC is more concerned about the age difference and generally unpleasant image this gives Ghomeshi, not the kind of liberal, respectful of women modern man they like. He'd have been fine with Fox!
Old 10-26-2014, 04:59 PM   #36
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
As the father of a daughter in her twenties, this is the kind of scum bag I warn my daughter to steer clear of, consensual or not the guys a creep.
I'm sorry, but how is he a scum bag exactly?
Old 10-26-2014, 05:01 PM   #37
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly don't give a crap what people do in the bedroom, and neither should anyone. If it was consensual and legal, who cares what age woman he's dating or what their doing behind closed doors?
Old 10-26-2014, 05:02 PM   #38
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Juicy! I am personally not a fan of him or his show. That being said if what is he is saying is true that is unfortunate, and I agree that his private life, so long as it is legal and consensual, shouldn't affect this ability to do his job.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J pold For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2014, 05:02 PM   #39
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well this is gonna be interesting to watch how it unfolds.

In all fairness there's two sides to every story, and I'm most most/all adults in this country have at least one jilted ex-lover they'd prefer not share intimate details of their relationship around the water cooler.

Last edited by Regular_John; 10-26-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:03 PM   #40
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Jann Arden comments on the situation for what it's worth. (it seems like she comments on everything, no?)

jann arden ‏@jannarden 36m36 minutes ago A person's true character can only dodge and hide for so long....then mistakes are made and the truth is known.

jann arden @jannarden · 34m 34 minutes ago
@scotia626 honestly I have known for years....
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote