Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2014, 12:10 PM   #821
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Somebody else mentioned MGM Grand. I would also recommend it. It is nicer rooms on a more affordable budget.
I have a co-worker who stayed at Signature (at MGM Grand). Not connected to the main hotel, but he said it was twice the room for half the price.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:21 PM   #822
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
My wife and I are debating where to go this winter. We're thinking possibly Las Vegas if the price is right. She's a teacher so we have to plan our vacation around her March break.

Where we're flying from Nova Scotia down, the airfare is more expensive than from Alberta, so we're not looking at a five star hotel.

What are people's thoughts on Luxor?

I've also signed up for the Mlife and the Harrah's reward programs. I'm not sure if they'll end up sending anything given that I haven't used them.

I'm interested in the best, but cost-effective place to stay.
Like everyone else has said, Luxor is a long ways away. If you are looking at cost-effectiveness, go for the Flamingo. The location is perfect for first timers (not sure if its your first time) as its central and a short walk (for vegas) to the majority of the things to do in Vegas. The price is probably ver similar to the Luxor and the rooms are clean.

The area around the Flamingo has gotten some great upgrades (more in the works) so don't be afraid of staying there.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:36 PM   #823
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
Like everyone else has said, Luxor is a long ways away. If you are looking at cost-effectiveness, go for the Flamingo. The location is perfect for first timers (not sure if its your first time) as its central and a short walk (for vegas) to the majority of the things to do in Vegas. The price is probably ver similar to the Luxor and the rooms are clean.

The area around the Flamingo has gotten some great upgrades (more in the works) so don't be afraid of staying there.
The older rooms in the Flamingo are a dump (just to set the expectations right) but every guy trip that's where we stay. From what I've heard their new renovated rooms are way nicer.

Last edited by rohara66; 10-29-2014 at 01:44 PM.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:40 PM   #824
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
The older rooms in the Flamingo are a dump (just to set the expectations right) but every guy trip that's where we stay. From what I've head their new renovated rooms are way nicer.
Yes the GO rooms are a lot nicer, but I wouldn't say dump , just dated. There are a lot of rooms on the strip I would classify as dumps before the Flamingo, especially at this price level
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:04 PM   #825
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

So NYNY or Monte Carlo would be decent for the price point?

If only it didn't cost us nearly $2,000 to get there.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:31 PM   #826
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

If anyone gets a chance to check out Linq, let me know what you think. Staying there in March and I'm hearing a ton of good things before the re-opening
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:21 PM   #827
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
If anyone gets a chance to check out Linq, let me know what you think. Staying there in March and I'm hearing a ton of good things before the re-opening
The Linq area is pretty good. It is nice to have an outdoor pedestrian only area like that in vegas. The High Roller ferris wheel is worth one ride on it as well. That is all I can really say as we didn't spend a whole lot of time in it on my last trip (that I can remember anyway).
Maccalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:25 PM   #828
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

For the price point the Monte Carlo is one of my favorites to stay in (and gamble in). The rooms are adequate, but not overly run down. The lines are short and tables always have room. The drinks come fast to the tables. The pool is above average for the price point and the location is really good. It has a tram in the back as well that connects directly to the Aria and Bellagio. There is a CVS right beside it as well for slightly cheaper alcohol and other items. Solid mid range choice.

I haven't stayed at the NYNY so can't comment on the rooms, but I also enjoy that hotel in my times wandering through and gambling. The roller coaster is fun to ride as well. Doubt you would go wrong with it either, but I like the monte carlo location slightly more (they are right beside each other, but the monte carlo has the tram in the back).
Maccalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:12 AM   #829
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

we stayed at the monte carlo when we went in April - it was fine. There is a McD's in the food court for breakfast/cheap lunch and there is a decent mexican place (Diablo's or something like that) attached to it on LV Blvd.......

my only other tip is that if you ever decide to do some shopping, look in the shops atached tot eh hotel - some places give you a discount if you are a guest in the hotel - for example, I bought a pair of sunglasses in the shops at ceasers - i was told i could ahve gotten a 50% discount if i had bought at sunglass shop in monte carlo.

also found out, if you book the room directly with hotel (compared to a package with expedia or the like), you can get more flexibility with respect to late checkouts and whatnot......
Old 10-30-2014, 03:20 PM   #830
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
I actually just was in Vegas with a friend from 10/4-10/9 and we stayed there--well, it was still The Quad technically, until the end of this month. It was under some pretty major reno, though none of the reno noise could be heard from our room. We were in an older room (that whole tower of rooms is closing, so it won't really affect you, and I haven't seen the new rooms. The room we were in was dated, but otherwise clean and the bed was comfortable). There's an outdoor promenade area behind with some shops, bars, and restaurants, also the High Roller (giant ferris wheel type thing) which is nice.

The location is pretty much fantastic, you're about halfway down the strip, so everything is within walking distance. (We only used transportation to go to/from the airport and then to take a trip into Old Vegas) The rooms were no-frills, but we didn't spend much time there, and it was really, really reasonable price-wise.

Hard to say what the new rooms will be like, but I was pretty satisfied with the stay even despite the construction that was underway.
wittynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2014, 06:51 PM   #831
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do the happy hour ride on the High Roller. For an extra $10 you get all you can drink for the half hour ride. I don't remember much of the rest of the night!

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2014, 09:08 PM   #832
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:

I would stay at NYNY again a heartbeat.......some good restaurants, nice place to gamble, and my fave......the piano bar. I really liked staying there.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:59 AM   #833
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
I would stay at NYNY again a heartbeat.......some good restaurants, nice place to gamble, and my fave......the piano bar. I really liked staying there.
No matter where we stay, we always wind up at NYNY to take advantage of the restaurants there. We don't go to Vegas looking for fine dining, we enjoy eating at the deli, the pizza place and their burger bar.

I'd totally stay there again too. In fact I'm deciding between NYNY, Monte Carlo and MGM for my next stay. NYNY because I like the property, MGM because it was my favorite and Monte Carlo because I've never stayed there yet.... do I try something new or finally stay somewhere I've stayed at before?

Q-Scout, even if you don't stay at NYNY, go to Sirrico's Pizza. That is a must. You can also enjoy the piano bar from any of the "Quick eats" as they once called them.

Last edited by Buff; 10-31-2014 at 02:03 AM.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2014, 02:02 AM   #834
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
I have a co-worker who stayed at Signature (at MGM Grand). Not connected to the main hotel, but he said it was twice the room for half the price.
Signature is suites, so if it is for half the price, then maybe half the price for the suites in MGM Grand. I think for suites, the Signature is pretty inexpensive and they look pretty good. I haven't checked pricing for a while but the Signature suites is only a little bit more than MGM Grand's normal rooms (non suites).
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:38 AM   #835
bradster57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We love staying at NYNY. Prices are good, rooms are comfortable. If you have a larger group, the Players Suite is great.

The piano bar and Nine Fine Irishmen are good times as well!
bradster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:00 AM   #836
Tapestar
Draft Pick

We usually go to Vegas at least twice a year. When I go for the NASCAR weekend in March we always stay at NYNY, great rooms, affordable restaurant options, easy access to the I-15 (rental car to track). During other trips we try and stay somewhere different each time. Have stayed at TI, Monte Carlo, Mirage, Imperial Palace, Flamingo, Luxor, Planet Hollywood, even Jockey Club way back when City Centre was first under construction. This year it will be the Venetian. Buy the bus pass, it saves the feet, and gets you where you want to go quick (except on Fri-Sat night, then the strip traffic is BAD).
Tapestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:34 AM   #837
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Signature is suites, so if it is for half the price, then maybe half the price for the suites in MGM Grand. I think for suites, the Signature is pretty inexpensive and they look pretty good. I haven't checked pricing for a while but the Signature suites is only a little bit more than MGM Grand's normal rooms (non suites).
Maybe he just got a smoking sale at the time then. I think he was paying pretty much half the price of what the regular rooms were at the MGM. My details could be fuzzy too, it was a while ago. Either way something to check out.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:54 AM   #838
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trump Hotel is really nice. Just up the street from The Wynn, across from the Fashion Show Mall. The deal I got on Expedia was for an upgraded room, a one bedroom suite with 2 bathrooms and full kitchen.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:46 PM   #839
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has anyone stayed at the bellagio in a room facing the front (strip) with a view of the fountains? Just curious how much more $ that would be compared to a room facing the other side
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:15 PM   #840
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

When's the best time to book a hotel in Vegas?

It seems like hotel prices are double to quadruple the price in March than they are in December or January (could be a travel/demand thing).

For four nights at the Monte Carlo I'd be looking at $527.52.

New York New York in the first week of January is $64/night, but when I'm looking in March is $134/night.

Am I better off booking my flight now and hotel later?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Has anyone stayed at the bellagio in a room facing the front (strip) with a view of the fountains? Just curious how much more $ that would be compared to a room facing the other side
I checked the rates for when we're looking in March and it appears to be an extra $30 per night.

If you go to their website http://www.bellagio.com/ and search the dates you want the room selections then pop up.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
las vegas , sin city , vegas