Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-26-2017, 11:28 AM   #41
sixpacked
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I haven't used a regular blade shaver since I got a Philips OneBlade. It doesn't shave quite as close as a blade, but close enough to as not to matter for me, and has the huge benefit of no irritation like with a blade.
Agreed, love my Oneblade. Great for the odd trimming job as well. I only shave every couple of weeks, no longer meeting clients, etc. , now in industry. Wife likes a bit of beard every now and then. Anywhooo, the Oneblade mows down my slightly longer beard easily.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:34 AM   #42
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:
Default Shaving Showdown: Harry's Vs Dollar Shave Club Vs ?

I use tallow based soaps, with a synthetic brush to build my lather.

I use a Merkur and Astra blades. Most of the razors are the same, but a good all-round razor is the Merkur 34.

Blades are going to depend on your preference. I like the Astra's, but Gillette has a bunch of varieties, Feather is super sharp (too sharp for me) and they usually come in little 5 packs so you can get a spread of samples and find what you like before buying a big box of 50/100.

Also, my shave takes about 10 minutes with three passes. But it's an enjoyable process now.

Last edited by kermitology; 05-26-2017 at 11:37 AM.
kermitology is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kermitology For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2017, 11:40 AM   #43
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recommend just marrying an Asian. Her mom will notice that you shave with a certain product. She will then see that product on sale one time and buy you 50 of them. I don't think I have bought blades for myself in 5 years. This also works with yogurt, ice cream, deodorant, shaving gel, chocolate chips, etc. Be careful of having products in your house that you don't like or aren't yours. She may think you like this, and all of a sudden you have 96 litres of cranberry juice taking up space in your pantry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2017, 11:42 AM   #44
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
I recommend just marrying an Asian. Her mom will notice that you shave with a certain product. She will then see that product on sale one time and buy you 50 of them. I don't think I have bought blades for myself in 5 years. This also works with yogurt, ice cream, deodorant, shaving gel, chocolate chips, etc. Be careful of having products in your house that you don't like or aren't yours. She may think you like this, and all of a sudden you have 96 litres of cranberry juice taking up space in your pantry.
It also helps prevent the spread of Gingers. Or so I'm told.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:15 PM   #45
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I use tallow based soaps, with a synthetic brush to build my lather.

I use a Merkur and Astra blades. Most of the razors are the same, but a good all-round razor is the Merkur 34.

Blades are going to depend on your preference. I like the Astra's, but Gillette has a bunch of varieties, Feather is super sharp (too sharp for me) and they usually come in little 5 packs so you can get a spread of samples and find what you like before buying a big box of 50/100.

Also, my shave takes about 10 minutes with three passes. But it's an enjoyable process now.
Started out with Astras and a Merkur 34C. Now I prefer vintage Gillette Adjustables. Had a '59 Fatboy re-plated and is my go-to. Also dabble occasionally with vintage straights. Have a honing stone and strop as well. Takes practice, but gives a nice shave.

I prefer shaving in the evening, so I'm never rushed. If I nick myself, it's healed up overnight.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:20 PM   #46
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Also: Look into a shaving scuttle. It's a bowl with two compartments. The bottom compartment you fill with hot water, the top with shaving cream. Warm lather on your face is a nice luxury.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2017, 12:23 PM   #47
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Started out with Astras and a Merkur 34C. Now I prefer vintage Gillette Adjustables. Had a '59 Fatboy re-plated and is my go-to. Also dabble occasionally with vintage straights. Have a honing stone and strop as well. Takes practice, but gives a nice shave.

I prefer shaving in the evening, so I'm never rushed. If I nick myself, it's healed up overnight.
I have a Merkur 34C now, really like the weight of it compared to some of my earlier razors. I have been using Feather blades for years, I think they are a love them or hate them choice.

Also, a decent badger brush and a proper shaving mug to get a good lather going. It seems like a big production, but I can be shaved in under 5 minutes in the morning.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:33 PM   #48
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2017, 03:02 PM   #49
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
It seems like a big production, but I can be shaved in under 5 minutes in the morning.
It will take you longer at first but once you get comfortable it's just as fast.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:29 PM   #50
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
I have a Merkur 34C now, really like the weight of it compared to some of my earlier razors. I have been using Feather blades for years, I think they are a love them or hate them choice.

Also, a decent badger brush and a proper shaving mug to get a good lather going. It seems like a big production, but I can be shaved in under 5 minutes in the morning.
If I shave every day, I can get it done all in one pass. Takes no time at all.

I have a bunch of different brushes, synthetic, best badger and silvertip. I find you get what you pay for. A good brush does more than just schmear lather on the face. Combined with technique, it whisks the hair follicles up.

I also have a alum block to close the pores afterwards.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:25 PM   #51
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

So are you boys using those safety razors to keep things tidy south of the equator?
Old 05-26-2017, 06:14 PM   #52
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't shave often anymore, but I'll throw one in for double edge safety razors as well, without question. Buy a nice one (my favorite is my Merkur Progress adjustable), buy good blades but test drive lots to see which work best for you (Feather for me), and enjoy the amazing soaps creams and lathers you can get with a good brush and real smells.
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:37 PM   #53
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
So are you boys using those safety razors to keep things tidy south of the equator?
Electric hair trimmer. Not aiming for smooth there.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:42 PM   #54
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I also joined a Kickstarter for a new company, Rockwell (which is based in Toronto), who are manufacturing a new adjustable razor which draws its inspiration from the classic Gillettes.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ref=nav_search

For blades, I have a rotation of five brands. Choice depends on whatever mood I'm in.

(In no particular order)
Feather
Gillette SilverBlue
Rapira Platinum Lux
Astra SP (Great beginner blade as it's not as sharp. Plus, they're dirt cheap. Box of 100 for as little as $13.50).
PolSilver Super Iridium

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 05-26-2017 at 07:04 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2017, 06:42 PM   #55
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I switched to a safety razor and brush a couple years ago and haven't gone back. You get far less skin irritation, a closer shave, and the blades are so much cheaper. You do have to be more careful of cutting yourself although you just end up with one cut instead of 5 little ones with those crazy Gillette blades. Also, I'd say it is a quicker shave since the sharper blades make shaving easier especially if you haven't shaved in a few days.

I started out with a cheap butterfly razor and later upgraded to an Italian wood handled twist top which is easier to hold and maneuver. As far as the blades go I currently have Wilkinson Sword but haven't noticed much difference between other brands.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:00 PM   #56
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Electric hair trimmer. Not aiming for smooth there.
What about the eggs?
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:54 PM   #57
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
What about the eggs?
Quarter inch hover.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:46 PM   #58
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

My daily routine:

•Wash face with glycerine soap.
•Apply hot towel.
•Schmear a bit of Nivea Cream on the face (a lot cheaper than the pre-shave creams, but essentially the same formula). A bit of lubricant helps.
•Apply cream/soap of your choice.
•Shave.
•Wash face with cold water to close up pores.
• A quick run of alum block. Witch Hazel is also good.
• Aftershave/balm/cologne if you're into it.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:29 AM   #59
Jonrox
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Another vote here for the Merkur 34C. I'd recommend starting with Derby blades for a newbie... I like the Feathers and Astra blades as well.

For shaving soaps it's nothing but Barrister and Mann for me. Currently switching between Petrichor and Rhapsody. Seville is another favorite for a classic barbershop scent. I was skeptical about Petrichor's description but somehow it actually does smell like a forest after the rain. My brush is a Semogue 830... really great after breaking it in.

Even for the guys who use Mach3's or other disposables, I'd recommend trying a good shaving soap and brush. It will make a huge difference for your skin.
Jonrox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonrox For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2017, 01:20 PM   #60
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
My daily routine:

•Wash face with glycerine soap.
•Apply hot towel.
•Schmear a bit of Nivea Cream on the face (a lot cheaper than the pre-shave creams, but essentially the same formula). A bit of lubricant helps.
•Apply cream/soap of your choice.
•Shave.
•Wash face with cold water to close up pores.
• A quick run of alum block. Witch Hazel is also good.
• Aftershave/balm/cologne if you're into it.
Are you Patrick Bateman?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:

Tags
razors , shaving