Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2017, 11:59 AM   #161
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
If they can't survive on what they get but are being asked to devote their full-time effort to training, it leaves them with little choice.
I hear that, but I don't know that it's the case, because if it were, it wouldn't be so easy to replace them with other players who want a shot at a spot going forward. Unless we're saying that under the current model, all US national team players have to be independently wealthy to make it work.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:27 PM   #162
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Why would USA hockey care if the players play in the CHL or NCAA? They don't get anything for sending players to either.
It's far more difficult for USA hockey to boast about its men's program if most/all of their best players are developed in Canada.
Hockey Canada is exactly the same. They don't want the top kids to choose NCAA over the CHL.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 12:28 PM   #163
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Why would USA hockey care if the players play in the CHL or NCAA? They don't get anything for sending players to either.
The proof is in the pudding. Each and every year the USA purposely leave better players off their team because they went the CHL route. They actually even punished players in the past for switching to the CHL from the NCAA (made WJ team the year before, left off after the switch).
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:36 PM   #164
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Do you feel the same about all Olympic sports? Should not the downhill skier, the curler, the bobsledder and hockey player all be compensated? Who should pay them?

Women's hockey doesn't generate the interest other sports can and do: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nwhl-...f-save-season/

Certain sports like female downhill skiers or tennis players make it work because the sport is popular. Life is not fair sometimes.
Curlers are pros, and part time ones at that. I'd leave them out.

Downhill skiiers I suspect are better funded, because of the number of participants. Same with bobsledders (who are also part-timers generally).

It sounds like the US team demands full-time training. If so, they need to pay a living wage.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:29 PM   #165
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Didn't the Olympics bounce Women's Softball for the very same reason? Basically a showdown between Canada and the US each year?

I think it's coming back this time around, but imagine it will be the same results.
Nope. The IOC currently has a mandate for equality as much as possible, so they were never going to bounce women's softball by itself. Also, the Canadian women's softball team was routinely one of the most overrated squads in the entire Olympic program.

Softball and Baseball were bounced together because host cities didn't want to build specialized baseball stadiums that were never going to be used again. Both are back on the program for 2020 because Japan is the host.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:48 PM   #166
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Allan Walsh @walsha
Word circulating among NHL players that American players will refuse to play in men's World Championships in solidarity with the women.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:55 PM   #167
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

There is literally nothing Alan Walsh ever says that is not propaganda, so that is not a claim I would take seriously absent confirmation from an independent source.

Also, to go the flippant route, for many of these players it isn't exactly showing solidarity to pass up going to a tournament you weren't going to attend in the first place.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 12:57 PM   #168
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Allan Walsh @walsha
Word circulating among NHL players that American players will refuse to play in men's World Championships in solidarity with the women.
I'm in agreement with most of what the USA women are asking for, but Alan Walsh is an idiot I don't take seriously
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:12 PM   #169
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Curlers are pros, and part time ones at that. I'd leave them out.

Downhill skiiers I suspect are better funded, because of the number of participants. Same with bobsledders (who are also part-timers generally).

It sounds like the US team demands full-time training. If so, they need to pay a living wage.
Alpine skiers have to pay team fees (usually in the 5 figure range) to be on the national team. The only way athletes survive is to have personal sponsors, wealthy family, prize money, and carding money from the COC ($18k per year before the increase).
mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mac_82 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 01:28 PM   #170
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
You'd have to think the idea of replacement players is just a negotiation tactic. I assume any fringe players would be showing support to the main team and wouldn't want to be known as scabs for the rest of their career. Is the US really going to send the C or D team? They would get smashed by Canada and silver wouldn't even be a guarantee.
Thats basically it though.

At the end of the day its a 2-3 team tournament.

The US is basically guaranteed Silver or Gold. Bronze at worst.

Its a development process. You arent going to get paid as Professionals when you're building something from the ground up.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:27 PM   #171
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

in reply to this tweet:
Quote:
Allan Walsh @walsha
Cassie Campbell @CassieCampbell
Spoke to some USA Men's players in last few weeks about this and other things regarding @usahockey Wonder how this speeds up negotiations!

looks like it is actually being discussed
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:37 PM   #172
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I'm in agreement with most of what the USA women are asking for, but Alan Walsh is an idiot I don't take seriously
I think I'm in agreement with all they are asking for, except a 200k salary per year.
Unless that's just posturing from USA hockey.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:02 PM   #173
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I think I'm in agreement with all they are asking for, except a 200k salary per year.
Unless that's just posturing from USA hockey.
The thing is...they play what? 15 somewhat meaningful games a Decade?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:11 PM   #174
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

USA Hockey will fold. This looks terrible for them in the Court of public opinion.

If they don't fold, heads will roll and they'll lose the inevitable lawsuit anyways.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:15 PM   #175
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

What lawsuit? What could they possibly be sued for?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:38 PM   #176
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Allan Walsh @walsha
I mean it's a nice gesture but it would pack a bit more punch if most of the players didn't refuse to go every other year, too.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 07:19 PM   #177
trublmaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Allan Walsh @walsha

solidarity or a ready made excuse not to go??
trublmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:40 PM   #178
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It looks like they might have a deal. The USA Hockey board of directors is meeting tomorrow to vote on it: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...down/99673828/

It seems the deal was made last week, but the board originally rejected it. They've been contacting potential replacement players and have been consistently rejected by them as well.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:00 PM   #179
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
I mean it's a nice gesture but it would pack a bit more punch if most of the players didn't refuse to go every other year, too.
Exactly. The Men's players are happy because at least they have a valid excuse this time.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:50 AM   #180
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.tsn.ca/report-us-men-coul...ycott-1.706930

TSN also had a story on men joining the boycott, but their source is likely the same.

I wonder if this snowballs into other sports and Olympic athletes start expecting a salary from their associations all year long.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote