sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:01 PM   #62
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Response from USA Hockey:

I'm willing to be that's more than most Canadian Olympic Athletes get, though I would have nothing to prove that. I do know i see some of them working at local Home Depots during training though.

I don't think they'll have trouble filling spots on their National Team with other's willing to step in. Probably still win Silver at a minimum as well.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:06 PM   #63
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I'm willing to be that's more than most Canadian Olympic Athletes get, though I would have nothing to prove that. I do know i see some of them working at local Home Depots during training though.

I don't think they'll have trouble filling spots on their National Team with other's willing to step in. Probably still win Silver at a minimum as well.
$85K over the training period depends on the training period, obviously. Assuming 4 years, $21,250 ain't great.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:16 PM   #64
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
$85K over the training period depends on the training period, obviously. Assuming 4 years, $21,250 ain't great.
and that amount is IN ADDITION to housing and travel allowances, insurance, meal expenses and training infrastructure.

that sounds pretty darn good.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:18 PM   #65
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
That's found cash though, they're being fed and housed and transported and playing around the world and in the olympics.

Frankly what it will come down to is that the selection committee will tell the girls that skip the worlds to turn in their jersey's. I mean right now they could field a team of crash test dummies and win the silver medal.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:21 PM   #66
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Says $85K Cash.

If that's 85K cash then that's quite good over 4 years. They can work part time too.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:47 PM   #67
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

US did win bronze once

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:20 PM   #68
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It's not a full time job accept for probably an Olympic year and on top of the 21K cash, they get travel and home expense accounts, meal expense accounts, and the best trainers, equipment, and facilties money can buy. They also likely hook these athletes up with jobs that allow them to work around their training.

I sure know the US speed skating team does. A guy from my high school went to both the Vancouver and Russia Olympics (Canadian by birth, but parents were American), and he got what i'm assuming is a similar package. They basically paid accomodations for him in Park City, Utah, hooked them up with a vehicle (BMW as they sponsored the team), and set him up with a part-time job. He basically lived the life of a ski bum when he was training to compete. When he retired a few years ago (at the ripe old age of 33), guess what, the US Olympic committee hooked him up with a job that he could use his university degree (full ride, no debt through skating) in a sweet post-retirement job that allowed him to continue to stay in Park City, and be around the speed skating team as a coach.

There would be a line a mile deep of people willing to take any one of these girls spots on the US Olympic Team.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 03-15-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:42 PM   #69
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

People do realize that a lot of the girls on this team are actually still playing College Hockey right? They are amature athletes that are being given 21K a year on top of car, vehicle, meal, and housing allowances. That's a pretty sweet gig to do something you love and are doing anyways on your College team.

When you factor in their all-in compensation, they are probably doing better than most ECHL players.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:44 PM   #70
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It's not a full time job accept for probably an Olympic year and on top of the 21K cash, they get travel and home expense accounts, meal expense accounts, and the best trainers, equipment, and facilties money can buy. They also likely hook these athletes up with jobs that allow them to work around their training.

I sure know the US speed skating team does. A guy from my high school went to both the Vancouver and Russia Olympics (Canadian by birth, but parents were American), and he got what i'm assuming is a similar package. They basically paid accomodations for him in Park City, Utah, hooked them up with a vehicle (BMW as they sponsored the team), and set him up with a part-time job. He basically lived the life of a ski bum when he was training to compete. When he retired a few years ago (at the ripe old age of 33), guess what, the US Olympic committee hooked him up with a job that he could use his university degree (full ride, no debt through skating) in a sweet post-retirement job that allowed him to continue to stay in Park City, and be around the speed skating team as a coach.

There would be a line a mile deep of people willing to take any one of these girls spots on the US Olympic Team.
You might want to listen to Meghan Duggan on Tim&Sid.

Some of that money actually comes from the USOC in Olympic years, and this has support from the u-18 team all they way up to the senior team.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:58 PM   #71
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I like the part about how USA Hockey bragged about winning a medal in all 17 world championships in a tournament with absolutely no competition... as if that mattered to a financial dispute.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2017, 04:39 PM   #72
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
That's found cash though, they're being fed and housed and transported and playing around the world and in the olympics.

Frankly what it will come down to is that the selection committee will tell the girls that skip the worlds to turn in their jersey's. I mean right now they could field a team of crash test dummies and win the silver medal.
But per the USA statement, the $85K was a max, if all the incentives are met which I assumes means a gold medal at the Olympics among other things.

And although they say they pay the players allowances, it doesn't say all their expenses are covered.

And they are silent on whether this is comparable to male athletes in other sports.

A max of $85K over 4 years assuming you meet all your incentives is not much money, even if they help with certain expenses during parts of the year.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:55 PM   #73
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
If they don't like it, don't play anymore. It's as simple as that. No one if forcing these women to play for the US National team.
Totally bizarre. I could've sworn that's exactly what the article is stating they plan to do. Weird right?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2017, 05:14 PM   #74
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
But per the USA statement, the $85K was a max, if all the incentives are met which I assumes means a gold medal at the Olympics among other things.

And although they say they pay the players allowances, it doesn't say all their expenses are covered.

And they are silent on whether this is comparable to male athletes in other sports.

A max of $85K over 4 years assuming you meet all your incentives is not much money, even if they help with certain expenses during parts of the year.
Cash. Tax Free. USD.

Its not bad money considering they are probably able to work part time still.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:28 PM   #75
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Cash. Tax Free. USD.

It is not tax free, US Olympians get taxed on prize money given out for medals. They even get taxed on the cash value of the medals themselves.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/12/news...dals-taxes-us/
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2017, 06:51 PM   #76
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Totally bizarre. I could've sworn that's exactly what the article is stating they plan to do. Weird right?
I'll believe it when I see it. Maybe one or two tokens ones will who were on the bubble or were going to retire anyways. The rest will all be there come puck drop.

And even if they do, which they won't, you know how many people will care in the US? Zero l, which speaks volumes to the fact they are getting more than what they bring in. The only people who will care is the girls playing for Canada because it will put an asterisk next to their championship.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 03-15-2017 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Fixed for typos on cellphone.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:58 PM   #77
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Good riddance. Men's hockey draws more revenue than women's hockey hence the compensation for men's hockey should be more.

Seems like whining to me.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2017, 07:03 PM   #78
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Cash. Tax Free. USD.

Cash? What else would they be paid in?
USD? They live in the US. Being paid in USD is some kind of perk?
Tax free? Article doesn't state the max of $85k over 4 years is tax free. Mind you that is such a low wage per year that your taxes would be very very low.

You can do better than that.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2017, 09:43 PM   #79
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
Good riddance. Men's hockey draws more revenue than women's hockey hence the compensation for men's hockey should be more.

Seems like whining to me.
Ya,Women should just stay in the kitchen and not even try,women aren't good at sports at all. We should just make our daughters take home-ec and how to give bj's.

If I had a daughter should I tell her not to even try because " it's not as good as men".

Last edited by calgarybornnraised; 03-15-2017 at 09:48 PM.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:51 PM   #80
KingMoo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I would love to see a USA hosted event where the american team doesnt show up
KingMoo is offline   Reply With Quote