Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-19-2017, 12:25 PM   #81
Young_Guns
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Flames could have completely buried the Canucks and moved into the first wildcard with a win last night. Having said that the Canucks, Jets, Stars are pretty much all done. I really hope LA fades out as I see that being the team Calgary is fighting with for the last spot. I just think the Preds and Blues both get in
In addition to 4 games with the Kings, the Flames still have 2 HUGE games with the Predators. If Calgary can take both from the Preds, and split with the Kings, they should be ok (of course they have to win some others too). However, losing both to the Preds, and going 0-4 or 1-3 against the Kings will pretty much bury Calgary too.
Young_Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:23 AM   #82
Cactus Jack
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am hoping for the second wild card spot, given that Minnessota looks like they might win the West
Old 02-20-2017, 10:56 AM   #83
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

A quick glance at the standings this morning and one thing jumped out: the Flames regulation loss number is more in line with their position in the standings. It has to do with poor results from the teams around them, but it is key to making the playoffs to keep that number down. It has been riding high all season until now.

Even though it was a disappointing result Saturday night, at least they got it to OT. Every little bit helps.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:48 PM   #84
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
A quick glance at the standings this morning and one thing jumped out: the Flames regulation loss number is more in line with their position in the standings. It has to do with poor results from the teams around them, but it is key to making the playoffs to keep that number down. It has been riding high all season until now.

Even though it was a disappointing result Saturday night, at least they got it to OT. Every little bit helps.
The Flames either come out, play well and win, or stink up the joint and lose which is why they are at the bottom of the league in loser points. Most of the team's losses haven't been really close and Saturday night's game was one of the few late comebacks this season to salvage a point.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:54 PM   #85
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The Flames either come out, play well and win, or stink up the joint and lose which is why they are at the bottom of the league in loser points.
The Flames have a record of 5-2 in games settled in overtime, and 3-2 in the shootout. When tied after regulation, they win two-thirds of the time… which is why they are at the bottom of the league in loser points.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:08 PM   #86
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
I am hoping for the second wild card spot, given that Minnessota looks like they might win the West
Same.

It's weird to want to flirt with the playoff line, but this team comes out very confidently against the Wild and seem to play them with chips on their shoulders ever since the Johnny slashing stuff.

I'd feel less confident facing a california team. Even though the Flames haven't been half bad against the sharks, either.

I would relish the chance for vengeance on the Oil and hurt them when it really counts if they catch lightning in the bottle, but it's likely going to be a california team facing WC1.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:15 PM   #87
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Yep. Not many teams qualify for playoffs with any more than 32 or 33 regulation losses. Because that would mean they didn't rack up as many loser points as most other teams, and therefore less total points. It's been my worry too for much of the season, but hopefully getting a taste of pushing an important game past regulation helps them feel confident enough to do it again another few times.

However, this is also kind of an anomaly season in the west and I don't think a team will need the usual sort of record (or points) to squeak into a WC spot.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2017, 08:59 PM   #88
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Same.

It's weird to want to flirt with the playoff line, but this team comes out very confidently against the Wild and seem to play them with chips on their shoulders ever since the Johnny slashing stuff.

I'd feel less confident facing a california team. Even though the Flames haven't been half bad against the sharks, either.

I would relish the chance for vengeance on the Oil and hurt them when it really counts if they catch lightning in the bottle, but it's likely going to be a california team facing WC1.
Nothing about their play against the Oilers this year would make me want the Flames to face them in the playoffs.

I think we could take the Wild.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:19 AM   #89
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

So with the Blues pulling ahead a bit, currently looking like the Preds, Flames, and Kings are battling for 2 spots.

Stars, Canucks, and Jets likely done barring a crazy run by one of them and an epic crash-and-burn by the someone in the pack ahead.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:02 AM   #90
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

STL is only 2 points up on Nashville and 3 on us. I would say even with that bump after firing Hitchcock they seem to have come down a bit and are still in the conversation.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2017, 08:14 AM   #91
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
STL is only 2 points up on Nashville and 3 on us. I would say even with that bump after firing Hitchcock they seem to have come down a bit and are still in the conversation.
Was thinking the same, but only one of the two teams is catchable anyways because of the division setup. Doesn't matter who it is, there is only one potentially available spot for the Flames.

I believe the Blues are still in the mix, though.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:25 AM   #92
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Was thinking the same, but only one of the two teams is catchable anyways because of the division setup. Doesn't matter who it is, there is only one potentially available spot for the Flames.

I believe the Blues are still in the mix, though.
That is true. I see it as if we can have points equal to or greater than that 3rd central seed, it will more than likely mean we are in.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2017, 10:12 AM   #93
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

The Kings put Zatkoff on waivers today leading to speculation that Quick is ready to return...

Going to be a tight race.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:30 AM   #94
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hope Quick shows a lot of rust.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 11:05 PM   #95
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Jets have to be added now to the list in the wild card race.

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:06 PM   #96
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy19man View Post
I think the Jets have to be added to the list in the wild card race.
If the jets catch the Flames I'll eat my shoe.
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:15 PM   #97
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dying4acup View Post
If the jets catch the Flames I'll eat my shoe.
a shoe filled with pubes?
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DionTheDman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 11:23 PM   #98
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
a shoe filled with pubes?
Sure. It's NOT happening.
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:18 AM   #99
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Jets have 16 games remaining. 12 of them are against teams currently in a playoff position, the remaining non-playoff teams are the Kings (9th place), New Jersey (second game of a back-to-back), Flyers and Canucks.

The Blues have 18 games remaining. Only 7 of them are against teams currently occupying a playoff position. They play Colorado (30th by far) 3 more times, they play Arizona (29th by far) 3 more times. The other non-playoff teams are the Kings, Canucks, Jets, Panthers and Hurricanes. St. Louis has such an easy schedule on paper. It's why there's such a discrepancy on SportClubStats between the weighted (77% chance to make playoff for the Blues) and the 50/50 (65% chance). Given the schedule, St. Louis would have to be blamed for throwing away the lead when they have more points, more games to play, and 6 games against the absolute bottom feeding teams.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:34 AM   #100
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Strength of opponent is certainly a way to predict outcomes but it's been shown time and time again over the years, and again over the past couple weeks that at the end of the season, the dynamics of playoffs around the corner and the pressures on teams that need to win the games they should make predicting outcomes using that method unreliable.

The Kings and Ducks just lost to a Vancouver team they should have beat just this weekend. The Preds had to come back last week to beat a bad Buffalo roster.

The Blues should have 12 points in the bag against Phoenix and Colorado but they could easily get only 6. Teams with nothing to play for other than being a spoiler are dangerous.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote