Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2017, 07:42 AM   #41
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie111 View Post
We should keep Daylight Savings Time and get rid of Standard Time. Then in winter it would get dark 1 hr later. I'd rather come home from work and see a little daylight then pitch black every December.

This is essentially what they are proposing (so it seems), but wholly poor communication, almost every article or news piece uses a headline like "NDP look to remove Daylight Saving Time" when in reality the proposal is to eliminate Standard Time. To make things more confusing they want to rename the time zone to Alberta Standard Time, rather than just keeping MDT, or CST.

I've been a really big proponent of going to a year round Daylight Saving Time for a long time, but this rollout is so stupid. Poor messaging, poor plan to implement, seems primarily aimed at being a distraction to their poor performance. I guess it shouldn't surprise me that this government would find a way to mess up a good thing. Even though I'd much prefer MDT year round, I think it's foolish to do this without the rest of North America on board...or at least the rest of the country, or without even just BC on board.

The thing I find most weird is when they extended Daylight Saving Time to the 8 months in North America, it just happened, was easy, and everyone followed...I don't even think it was a vote in the Legislature. Too bad we can't just do that again for year round DST.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:45 AM   #42
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfinitejar View Post
Wait, do people like that it gets dark at 4:30 in December?
Doesn't bother me. It's winter and it's supposed to get dark early.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:26 PM   #43
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Actually it says car accident increase were significant. It says fatal accidents only had a small increase.
They only studied fatal car accidents, that is all the data in the study.

The "small" increase was for the change where you get an extra hour of sleep. It makes sense that the lose a sleep change is terrible, but I was surprised there was also a small increase on the gain an hour time change.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:10 PM   #44
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfinitejar View Post
Wait, do people like that it gets dark at 4:30 in December?
At that time of year, there just isn't enough light, period. No one will be happy when there is only 8 hours of light.

The times that make the most sense for keeping the status quo are November, and February. Those months you CAN have light in the morning, AND the afternoon.

So, are we supposed to ditch that for some not really great evening almost light during the coldest and crappiest outdoor months? That means I'll never see the sun guaranteed each and every morning for 4 entire months. Mornings are pretty crappy as it is, now the light that actually helps me function as a human will be taken away? That's a bunch of shortsighted bull.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:15 AM   #45
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
At that time of year, there just isn't enough light, period. No one will be happy when there is only 8 hours of light.

The times that make the most sense for keeping the status quo are November, and February. Those months you CAN have light in the morning, AND the afternoon.

So, are we supposed to ditch that for some not really great evening almost light during the coldest and crappiest outdoor months? That means I'll never see the sun guaranteed each and every morning for 4 entire months. Mornings are pretty crappy as it is, now the light that actually helps me function as a human will be taken away? That's a bunch of shortsighted bull.
So you're saying if you have to pick one time of day to have daylight, it's when you are commuting to work, and while you are at work, not when you are at home and kids are out of school?

The thought of going for a stroll after work in the light or playing in the snow with my kid appeals to me a hell of a lot more than enjoying a sunny trip to frigging work where I'll go and sit inside all day, knowing I've seen the last of the light until the next day.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post: