Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2016, 11:29 AM   #161
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bull**** indeed.
Cheers to everyone finding a way around this kind of price gouging.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:06 PM   #162
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Set up line,you change phone number to MB right away, then as of bill date less than a week later you can change plan and port in number. So the cost is less than a week of the cheapest plan available.
Moved two additional lines to my original Sask plan line. Hassle free like Ryan Coke said, took less than a week. I now have the family's 3 lines under Sask plans.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:55 PM   #163
CRXguy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffporfirio View Post
Moved two additional lines to my original Sask plan line. Hassle free like Ryan Coke said, took less than a week. I now have the family's 3 lines under Sask plans.
Did the SK plan price not increase? MB is still $48.
CRXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:11 PM   #164
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXguy View Post
Still 48/month
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:11 AM   #165
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXguy View Post
It went up but it's now back to $48.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:11 PM   #166
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I am going to switch to this plan from Bell in the next week or so. I see that Koodo is currently running a referral program where if you refer me we both get a $50 bill credit.

If anyone on here wants to refer me send me a PM and I will send you my email.

Edit: ***i received a referral link, will let you know how it works for me ***

Last edited by gasman; 10-19-2016 at 06:06 PM.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:47 PM   #167
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Looks like my $51/month plan is in response to the $48/month plan is available in Manitoba from other dealers.

Now just to grandfather it in for the rest of my life....
Azure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:07 AM   #168
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Somewhat unrelated, but how do you all find Koodo in the service sense? Is it comparable to Telus in regards to data speed and cell phone reception? I'm going to be activating a new device today and Koodo is the winner so far. Even if you bring your own phone, Telus has ridiculous plan pricing.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:14 AM   #169
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

My son has the Koodo plan and I have Bell. (They can pry my 6GB of data from my cold dead fingers.) Bell, Telus, and Koodo use the same towers. My son and I both have the same speeds and coverage. No difference from that standpoint.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 11:09 AM   #170
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
My son has the Koodo plan and I have Bell. (They can pry my 6GB of data from my cold dead fingers.) Bell, Telus, and Koodo use the same towers. My son and I both have the same speeds and coverage. No difference from that standpoint.
I had the same 6gb plan, I was apprehensive about getting rid of it. I had 2 overages on Koodo (so additional 1gb was a $10 charge, really so my bill was $58 a month). They sent me a message saying they noticed I was using alot of data, and gave me an additional 1.5gb for the $10, so I was at 6.5gb for $58, with the option to just cancel that portion any time (which I did, now that Shaw Open has me covered at work). There's hardly any reason to hang on to that bell legacy plan, especially with the added advantage of unlimited C/W calling, which if you had the same bell plan as me, that didn't have
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:25 AM   #171
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Made the switch. Went and signed up for Koodoo last week and had to wait for the next billing cycle to start before making any changes. Getting the Saskatchewan number was easy but then went to change plans and it said I would have to wait till the end of the next billing cycle.

Didn't want to wait a month so I nervously called customer service. Told him I wanted the $48 plan and he said I needed a Saskatchewan address. I was afraid of that but then he said he would go ahead and make the change anyway. Surprised and happy for sure.

Porting my number over was easy. I got lucky though, I'm sure there is an easier way.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:31 AM   #172
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
Made the switch. Went and signed up for Koodoo last week and had to wait for the next billing cycle to start before making any changes. Getting the Saskatchewan number was easy but then went to change plans and it said I would have to wait till the end of the next billing cycle.

Didn't want to wait a month so I nervously called customer service. Told him I wanted the $48 plan and he said I needed a Saskatchewan address. I was afraid of that but then he said he would go ahead and make the change anyway. Surprised and happy for sure.

Porting my number over was easy. I got lucky though, I'm sure there is an easier way.
(FYI you don't have to wait a month. The first billing cycle ends the following week, so 7-10 days max)

But glad you got it all figured out in the end!
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2016, 11:53 AM   #173
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What happens when you already have a phone and Alberta number that you want to keep? Or does this only work when getting new phone and/or new number?
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:56 AM   #174
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
What happens when you already have a phone and Alberta number that you want to keep? Or does this only work when getting new phone and/or new number?
The last step is to port in your current AB (or wherever) number. Porting process is usually instantaneous or 10min.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:00 PM   #175
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
The last step is to port in your current AB (or wherever) number. Porting process is usually instantaneous or 10min.
I think I'm missing something but if you get the plan to start with your existing ab number then have to get a sask number don't you risk losing your original Alberta number? With the case of signing up an existing phone.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:13 PM   #176
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think I'm missing something but if you get the plan to start with your existing ab number then have to get a sask number don't you risk losing your original Alberta number? With the case of signing up an existing phone.
When I signed up last week I just grabbed a random Alberta number with my sim card, I never put the sim card in. Switched to a Saskatchewan number today, switched plans and finally ported my Alberta number over. Then put the Koodoo sim card in and everything worked with my Alberta number.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2016, 12:22 PM   #177
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
When I signed up last week I just grabbed a random Alberta number with my sim card, I never put the sim card in. Switched to a Saskatchewan number today, switched plans and finally ported my Alberta number over. Then put the Koodoo sim card in and everything worked with my Alberta number.
Ah. Makes sense now. Forgot about new sim card. Thanks! Going to try today.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:27 PM   #178
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ah. Makes sense now. Forgot about new sim card. Thanks! Going to try today.
When I do my son's phone I'm going to get a 306 number right off the bat. If they say no I'll try another dealer. As has been mentioned here you can only make one change per billing cycle so just get the basic Alberta plan until you can change over to the $48/5 gig plan.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:43 PM   #179
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

So, I've read through a bit of this thread, just asking about the process to see if I've got it down:

- Get a cheap koodo plan (on a SIM card? or do you need the phone?)
- Go online, change to a Sask # (do you have to change the address? Which address would you use?)
- Change the plan at the end of the billing cycle
- Port your number (Telus for me)
- Enjoy 5gb of data and a cheap plan

Is this correct?
I've also read that Koodo has the same coverage of Telus, so that's great, but will I need to unlock my Telus phone to use with Koodo?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:03 PM   #180
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^-Yes, get the cheapest plan and you will get a sim card, don't even put it in your phone as you can't make any changes until the next billing cycle(8 days away?).
-You can only make one change on-line per billing cycle so if you can get a Saskatchewan number it will save you making that change. Change plans on-line then port your Alberta number over.
-You have to provide I.D. and they will take your Alberta address but that doesn't matter.
-Not sure if a phone locked with Telus will work with Koodoo.