Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2016, 04:56 PM   #4561
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
With PSVR coming, I anticipate barely using my TV anymore, let alone upgrading it.
Except you won't have enough "experiences" for your PSVR to keep you interested for too long. VR on PC has really crashed since it first came out. I wonder if the PSVR can keep the momentum going after the first month.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:14 PM   #4562
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Sitting 10 to 15 feet away, I don't think my eyes are even good enough to see the difference between 1080p and 4k to be honest.

I think if I'm a good boy, I'll treat myself to a 4k ultra wide monitor for my PC, but that's about it.

My 1080p TV and PS4 are good enough for the next few years for me.
I think you would definitely notice 1080p and 4k side by side. It's much more drastic than 720p to 1080p.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:30 AM   #4563
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

It looks like triple A games like Rise of the Tomb Raider and Deus Ex don't even run at native 4k.

http://www.dsogaming.com/screenshot-...on-screenshot/

http://www.dsogaming.com/screenshot-...on-screenshot/
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:07 AM   #4564
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not trying to turn this into a PC is da best kind of thing but that isn't surprising. The hardware required to run one of those games in native 4K would easily cost you $1500-$2000. Sony is charging what? $500 CAD?
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2016, 11:24 AM   #4565
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, nobody should be expecting AAA games to run 4K natively on a $400 US machine. The best you can hope for is small Indie games running in 4K.

I really see little reason to upgrade your PS4 to a PS4 Pro. Just not enough of a difference for people to do it. Secondly they should have made the PS4 Pro the new PS4 and scrapped the smaller PS4. The price difference is only $100. There is no reason for someone to cheap out on the PS4 "slim" when the Pro version is only $100 more. If you can't save up an extra $100 you probably shouldn't be buying a gaming system anyway.

I see Xbox gaining ground on the PS4 with their superior "slim" version and eventually their better "pro" version of their console. I don't own a Xbox One but I'm really interested in the Xbox One Scorpio. It's a significant jump unlike the PS4 Pro.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:37 AM   #4566
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I don't own a Xbox One but I'm really interested in the Xbox One Scorpio. It's a significant jump unlike the PS4 Pro.
By the time the Scorpio comes out (more than a year away in late 2017 early 2018) I'll probably be rocking dual 1080 Ti's and 4K G-Sync monitor. Actually, the 1080 Ti video cards will likely be old by then even though they won't be announced or released for months.

It's kinda weird that they even "announced" a console a year and a half away; who even does that in the tech world anymore? Trying to get ahead of the Neo/Pro I guess.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:51 PM   #4567
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Microsoft's got a console trade-in credit going on right now.

https://microsoftconsoletradeca.cexc...me/index.rails

$300 credit for a PS4

Also $300 credit for a regular 1TB Xbox One, I'm kind of tempted since I got my Xbox One for quite a bit less than $300, so I could upgrade to a 1TB Xbox One S for what works out to be $120.

If I had any 4K TVs it'd be a no brainer, but I don't.. still tempting since I'll probably eventually have a 4K TV.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:40 PM   #4568
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
By the time the Scorpio comes out (more than a year away in late 2017 early 2018) I'll probably be rocking dual 1080 Ti's and 4K G-Sync monitor. Actually, the 1080 Ti video cards will likely be old by then even though they won't be announced or released for months.

It's kinda weird that they even "announced" a console a year and a half away; who even does that in the tech world anymore? Trying to get ahead of the Neo/Pro I guess.
Ok.... I wasn't implying it would be comparable to a high-end PC, but it's a significant jump from the current Xbox One. The Scorpio is going to be $500-$600 US. How much does a very high-end PC cost? $1500-$2000.

I bought a decent gaming PC around 4 years ago and did a lot of gaming on PC. I could spend money upgrading the video card, but I would probably have to upgrade my CPU as well. That might mean I have to upgrade the main board, not sure. I don't have a 4K monitor so I would have to upgrade to that to take full advantage of the video card. I have a SSD hard drive but it's only 128GB so probably should get a bigger one. Too annoying and more money that I want to spend at the moment.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:56 PM   #4569
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I bought a decent gaming PC around 4 years ago and did a lot of gaming on PC. I could spend money upgrading the video card, but I would probably have to upgrade my CPU as well.
If you have an Intel quad-core released in 2012 or even 2011, it's probably still adequate due to the relative stagnation in CPU improvements since then .

Quote:
I don't have a 4K monitor so I would have to upgrade to that to take full advantage of the video card.
Even for the GTX 1080, 4K is still a bridge too far for recently released games (though I've found it great for 2013 era games). But there's a wide variety of affordable 2560 x 1440 monitors now, a resolution that would work well with non-flagship video cards and also offer a good improvement in regular computer use.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:26 PM   #4570
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Not really. They want to create the hype and ensure consumers have the release circled on their calendar. Sony is releasing upgraded hardware so if Microsoft just sat idly doing or saying nothing they would be criticized for falling behind.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:42 PM   #4571
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Not really. They want to create the hype and ensure consumers have the release circled on their calendar. Sony is releasing upgraded hardware so if Microsoft just sat idly doing or saying nothing they would be criticized for falling behind.
I guess . . . a late 2017 release isn't exactly not falling behind though.

Though they've pretty much told me not to buy a new Xbone console or game until at least late 2017, 2018. I kinda hope it doesn't become a thing though, paper launches for video cards were pretty lame. Would hate to see them start announcing the Xbone Two or PS5 (or the iPhone 12) for 2020 next week.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:44 AM   #4572
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Except you won't have enough "experiences" for your PSVR to keep you interested for too long. VR on PC has really crashed since it first came out. I wonder if the PSVR can keep the momentum going after the first month.
Given how fast the preorders have gone, I expect there will be tons of these in the wild, which should hopefully drive development.

I feel VR has crashed on PC after launch because it's too expensive and impractical to reach people that aren't really into it. It's awesome to try, but once you realize you need to upgrade your PC, buy the unit itself, mount cameras and move furniture, you suddenly lose a lot of interest. Sony's solution is still expensive, but many people already have the computer, and it's been designed to be more of a sit down experience. Like many technologies that came before it, I anticipate the weaker but more approachable solution will catch on.

Last edited by Russic; 09-13-2016 at 08:48 AM.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:57 AM   #4573
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post

$300 credit for a PS4

Also $300 credit for a regular 1TB Xbox One, I'm kind of tempted since I got my Xbox One for quite a bit less than $300, so I could upgrade to a 1TB Xbox One S for what works out to be $120.

If I had any 4K TVs it'd be a no brainer, but I don't.. still tempting since I'll probably eventually have a 4K TV.
If this is around for the new Xbox one next year seems like a good way to go
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:02 PM   #4574
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess . . . a late 2017 release isn't exactly not falling behind though.

Though they've pretty much told me not to buy a new Xbone console or game until at least late 2017, 2018. I kinda hope it doesn't become a thing though, paper launches for video cards were pretty lame. Would hate to see them start announcing the Xbone Two or PS5 (or the iPhone 12) for 2020 next week.
Why exactly would you hold off purchasing an XB1 game if you already have the console?
Old 09-14-2016, 09:20 AM   #4575
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why exactly would you hold off purchasing an XB1 game if you already have the console?

Meh, they'll look and perform way better on the Scorpio that there wouldn't be much point buying those games at full price in the meantime just for the base Xbone. Just wait for the upgraded console and buy & play them later. (Never mind that they'll be way cheaper by then as well).

It would have been like trying to find and old copy of Bioshock after they've already announced that the remaster was on the way. Don't bother and just wait.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:29 PM   #4576
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
There probably doing it the same way sony is doing it with a day one patch that upscales to 4k.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:03 PM   #4577
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post

$300 credit for a PS4

I have a 4K tv and the fat Xbox One so very tempted to do this. I wonder if you can just take it into the MS store instead of doing it online.

Getting that sleeker console and all the 4k capabilities would be great.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:40 AM   #4578
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

So do either of the new console versions support 4k at 60 fps with 4:4:4 and 10 bit gradients?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:06 PM   #4579
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
So do either of the new console versions support 4k at 60 fps with 4:4:4 and 10 bit gradients?
The Xbox doesn't. Can't find PS4 specs at the moment.

https://support.xbox.com/en-CA/xbox-...l-requirements
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:21 PM   #4580
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
From what i have read the ps4 will do 60fps but it wont be 4k
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote