Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 07:55 AM   #3681
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

That blue looks great on it.

Hello Westjet, time for an update.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:05 AM   #3682
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
Ahead of the Paris show:

Watch it full screen, in high def.
I don't know how Rock You Like a Hurricane always works perfectly with these videos, but it does, and oh, how it does.

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/557...ner-part-2.php
Old 06-12-2015, 12:23 PM   #3683
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty cool for fans of old war birds.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2015, 02:20 PM   #3684
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
Ahead of the Paris show: Video

Link

Hope they've stocked up on sick bags for that take off.
The Following User Says Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2015, 11:14 PM   #3685
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Breaking: WestJet announces London, England!!

Not yet sure if this will be a non-stop flight from Calgary.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2015, 04:51 PM   #3686
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Pretty cool for fans of old war birds.
This just gives me frickin goosebumps.

What an amazing, last time ever, experience that is going to be for the crews of those airplanes.

So did I hear that right? That last two airworthy Lancasters are in Canada?

I know the one in Nanton is not but it doesn't seem far off. Last time I saw it last summer it seemed like it's engines were leaking a bit of oil, why would the have fluids in them if they weren't running?

Anyone know exactly what its status is?
Old 06-16-2015, 05:58 PM   #3687
Harju
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post

What an amazing, last time ever, experience that is going to be for the crews of those airplanes.

I know the one in Nanton is not but it doesn't seem far off. Last time I saw it last summer it seemed like it's engines were leaking a bit of oil, why would the have fluids in them if they weren't running?

Anyone know exactly what its status is?
I went to an engine run-up last summer and was told it would never fly and it is not intended that it ever will. Probably not impossible to get it airworthy if there was the money and parts to make it happen. The museum has a list of missing parts it requires to complete a full restoration. The engine run-ups are a tourist attraction and happen a few times every summer.
The website also has data and information on all the Lancasters built so you can look up their current status.
http://www.bombercommandmuseum.ca/la...dex_lancfm159g

Last edited by Harju; 06-16-2015 at 06:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Harju For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2015, 11:33 AM   #3688
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I believe the other operational one is based in the UK. So one in each country.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:53 AM   #3689
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 06-21-2015, 08:25 PM   #3690
Leon
First Line Centre

Exp:

For any FSX fans here, Dovetail studios has come out with FSX: Steam Edition, which is essentially a revamped FSX made to be compatible with the latest Windows operating system. What does this mean for users of the boxed FSX game? Less memory errors and general weirdness with the game.

It's currently on sale for 5$ and I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in picking up a flying simulator. The addons are slowly becoming compatible with this release and I'm sure it won't be long before all addons become usable with this new version.

It runs very well - would recommend.

''The Phaneuf - Regehr pairing reminds me a lot of when I'm having sex with a new partner'' -malcomk14
''Not only is he a good player, but I enjoy his company'' -Pierre Mcguire on Phaneuf

"I'm only watching now for the chance to see brief close-ups of White's moustache." - rockstar
</br>
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2015, 12:52 PM   #3691
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe someone can help me sort something out here. I've always wanted to get my pilots licence but always come back to the same problem.

Is it even worth it? First off is the cost to take flying lessons. Once you have that, the cost to rent a plane is pretty damn high, no? Owning even a small plane is even worse?

What's the best way for someone who would like to fly recreationally to do just that? I'd even be happy with an ultra light I think. Just some small aircraft that wouldn't nuke the bank account.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:35 PM   #3692
Leon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe someone can help me sort something out here. I've always wanted to get my pilots licence but always come back to the same problem.

Is it even worth it? First off is the cost to take flying lessons. Once you have that, the cost to rent a plane is pretty damn high, no? Owning even a small plane is even worse?

What's the best way for someone who would like to fly recreationally to do just that? I'd even be happy with an ultra light I think. Just some small aircraft that wouldn't nuke the bank account.
You can go and get an ultra-light rating and fly those around. The license types are listed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilot_licensing_in_Canada.

The question: is it even worth it? can be answered after taking a ~75$ discovery flight with any of the flying clubs at YBW. After an hour in the air you'll know.

Yes, it's very expensive to rent a plane. And yes, it's expensive to stay current. If you find after a discovery flight that you get substantial enjoyment out of it, then you'll also find a way to finance your new hobby.

I suggest dabbing your toes in, as it were, and take a discovery flight. I can give you a number just PM me.

''The Phaneuf - Regehr pairing reminds me a lot of when I'm having sex with a new partner'' -malcomk14
''Not only is he a good player, but I enjoy his company'' -Pierre Mcguire on Phaneuf

"I'm only watching now for the chance to see brief close-ups of White's moustache." - rockstar
</br>
Old 06-22-2015, 04:15 PM   #3693
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol, you might find this odd, I've actually taken several discovery flights as well as finished ground school and have about 10 hrs in the air.

This was about 14 yrs ago and decided at the time that flying for a living may not be for me....biggest regret of my life. I LOVE flying, I wish I had the sense to at least finish my private license. I'd like to rectify that but want to be realistic about it as well.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:26 PM   #3694
Leon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Lol, you might find this odd, I've actually taken several discovery flights as well as finished ground school and have about 10 hrs in the air.

This was about 14 yrs ago and decided at the time that flying for a living may not be for me....biggest regret of my life. I LOVE flying, I wish I had the sense to at least finish my private license. I'd like to rectify that but want to be realistic about it as well.
Understood - I didn't have the context before.

It really boils down to whether or not it is affordable for you. Do you think you can put aside enough cash to engage in this hobby the way you want to (i.e., 6 cross country flights a year)?

I would love to stay current, but I can't afford it while I'm trying to save in my mid-20's at the start of my career.

But there are also many O&G workers later on in their career who go flying all the time because they have the means.

If you can afford it, do it, if you can't, then we have to face the unfortunate reality that its simply too expensive for some of us.

The last option is to finish your licensing, get your instructor rating, and get paid to fly part time.

</br>
Old 06-22-2015, 04:46 PM   #3695
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm certainly going to re-visit it. Can I afford to? I think I can.

The school I went to at the time was at Springbank airport, is it still there? Is there a better option?
Old 06-22-2015, 05:10 PM   #3696
Leon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm certainly going to re-visit it. Can I afford to? I think I can.

The school I went to at the time was at Springbank airport, is it still there? Is there a better option?
There are several schools there. I finished my PPL at MRU (known as Mount Royal College at the time) and had a good experience.

You may want to consider taking a trip out to YBW and getting some information/quotes to finish your training. I know of at least three places there you can get training: MRU, Springbank Training College, Calgary Flying Club. Things may have changed though as I haven't been there in almost a decade.

Look at the prices, look at the fleet, chat to a few instructors is my advice and go from there.

</br>
The Following User Says Thank You to Leon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2015, 06:48 PM   #3697
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the info. Pretty sure this is something I need to do.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:57 PM   #3698
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems someone hates WestJet lately. On the weekend someone called in a bomb threat on flight from Halifax to Edmonton flight, and the aircraft was diverted to Saskatoon. No bomb found.

Another WestJet flight has diverted, this time WS442 Edmonton to Toronto has diverted to Winnipeg due to a threat.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:46 PM   #3699
Art Vandelay
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Seems someone hates WestJet lately. On the weekend someone called in a bomb threat on flight from Halifax to Edmonton flight, and the aircraft was diverted to Saskatoon. No bomb found.

Another WestJet flight has diverted, this time WS442 Edmonton to Toronto has diverted to Winnipeg due to a threat.
Air Canada had one last week going into St. Johns as well. Hope they find whoever is doing this quick and put them away. Heard that one passenger was injured in the evacuation tonight.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:10 PM   #3700
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait till they do it to United or American. Then it's game over.
Closed Thread

Tags
airplanes , avgeeks , aviation , flight , spotters