Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
Acid Rush
Farm Team Player

Exp:
Default Best cakes in Calgary?

I am looking for a cake for my son's birthday. It doesn't have to be fancy and expensive but it has to be good. I've been looking at websites and found Urban Baker, Brulee and Crave. I've tried Urban Baker and Crave but I haven't tried Brulee. Any suggestions? Can you also list the average price for a cake?

Thanks for the ideas!
Acid Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
ok, ok,....I get it
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Glenmorgan Bakery

that is all
ok, ok,....I get it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our office gets cake from cake works for special events. I don't know about prices because I only eat the cake and there's no complaints in that department.
http://www.eatcake.ca/

For our daughter's second birthday, we got a two layer marble sheet cake from Sobey's decorated a la Disney's Tinker Bell. The cake looked really good and they had literally dozens of decorating options. We got the second biggest cake they sold and it came it at about $30. I would definitely consider Sobey's again for our future cake needs.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
JohnnyFlame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Never heard of them. Birthdays I go down to Dairy Queen and get an ice-cream cake--always a hit and yummy, yummy, yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JohnnyFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2009, 01:07 PM   #5
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently Safeway now sells ice cream cakes too. However, best traditional cake I've ever had was a cake from cakeworks. Mmmmm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #6
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Glamorgan Bakery is incredible for cakes.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #7
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlame View Post
Never heard of them. Birthdays I go down to Dairy Queen and get an ice-cream cake--always a hit and yummy, yummy, yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+1

Our kids like the DQ cakes too. Many designs available. You can freeze what is not eaten right away. They are a pain to cut up and serve though. The bakery cakes are all icing.

Sunterra has nice desserts, but children probably won't appreciate them as much as the adults.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:37 PM   #8
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Rush View Post
I am looking for a cake for my son's birthday. It doesn't have to be fancy and expensive but it has to be good. I've been looking at websites and found Urban Baker, Brulee and Crave. I've tried Urban Baker and Crave but I haven't tried Brulee. Any suggestions? Can you also list the average price for a cake?

Thanks for the ideas!
You know, most kids (probably ALL kids) are more than happy with a cake you make from a mix.. you know, Betty Crocker, etc.
Hey its cake! Kids are happy to get the chance to eat any kind of cake! Not once have I ever heard a kid say... I can't eat this, its too dry, or its not made from scratch and I can tell the difference, or ewww... did you get this cake from Safeway?

So, if you don't have the time to bake one from a mix, buy one from Safeway. I'm sure your kid will be quite happy with it. If he isn't you have one seriously fussy kid.

You are spending way too much time, effort, and thought into something that won't make one iota of difference to your kid.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:53 PM   #9
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
You know, most kids (probably ALL kids) are more than happy with a cake you make from a mix.. you know, Betty Crocker, etc.
Hey its cake! Kids are happy to get the chance to eat any kind of cake! Not once have I ever heard a kid say... I can't eat this, its too dry, or its not made from scratch and I can tell the difference, or ewww... did you get this cake from Safeway?

So, if you don't have the time to bake one from a mix, buy one from Safeway. I'm sure your kid will be quite happy with it. If he isn't you have one seriously fussy kid.

You are spending way too much time, effort, and thought into something that won't make one iota of difference to your kid.
I don't think you know what ovens are for. Turkey. Ham. Certain potato recipies. Cakes come from stores. Just like coleslaw.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #10
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
Disagree. The look on our daughter's face when I came in from the garage with the intricately decorated Tinker Bell cake is something that I will always remember. Her reaction alone made it worth the additional cost (which wasn't a whole lot anyway). Other kids were blown away and parents commented on how cool it was.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #11
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

+2 for DQ

or just icecream cakes in general........anyone wanna make a DQ run?
Old 03-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #12
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another vote for Cake Works. I had one made up for my parents' 50th Birthday party and I gave them a picture of my parents singing karaoke and they made cartoon characters of them out of icing. It was spectacular. But they can be kind of expensive.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:28 PM   #13
Guest1

Marble Slab Creamery for ice cream cakes. (Even though I just finished a DQ fudge sundae.... mmmmm.... I want another!)
Old 03-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #14
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edelweiss is amazing!

1921 20th Ave NW

http://www.edelweissimports.com/bakery-c-265.html
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2009, 02:43 PM   #15
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

+3 for DQ cakes. Ice-cream cakes rule, for dinner you should have those ice-cream pizza's, then dessert you give them the ice-cream cake. You'd be their favorite person ever.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:48 PM   #16
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Edelweiss is amazing!

1921 20th Ave NW

http://www.edelweissimports.com/bakery-c-265.html
Ja zee Germans can back zee Kuchen.
Byrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:18 PM   #17
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What kind of cake does your lad enjoy?

Amandine on Centre St - makes a great buttercream style german cake (yum)

Glamorgan Bakery off of 37th St SW - can't be beat for traditional

Crave in Kensington is a sugar overload... very good, but delicate.

Nectar in Inglewood is great for cheesecake

All offer something slightly different, but all are of high quality and have certain "signatures" that cannot be outdone in terms of taste.

Cakeworks did our wedding cake and it was quite good. I'd go to them if you want something with a cool design, but really the actual cake or filling itself wasn't too standout.

Honestly, one of my favourite "diabetic coma" cakes is good old betty crocker vanilla with the accompanying rainbow frosting. My mom makes one for me every year still! (thanks Mom!)
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:47 PM   #18
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll probably be in the minority, but if you're looking for something different and are sick of all they icing-laden whitey cakes at Safeway and the like, you can try ordering a cake from T&T (the Asian supermarket). They have a moist pound cake with fruit inside and chocolate/light icing on the outside that's a nice alternative; they also have various other cakes (again with fruit -- the mango cake is pretty good).

If it's for a kids party, however, just go with the said whitey cakes and you should be fine
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #19
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love DQ ice cream cakes, but if you want something a little bit higher quality, Philips Ice cream makes some great ones too!
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:35 PM   #20
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

First of all, how old is your son? and what are his interests.

It is very easy to make all kinds of kids theme cakes out of cheap cake mixes. Usually you bake a couple of round cakes, or a couple of square cakes, or a round and a square, cut them into pieces and then put together the theme like a puzzle. And you hold the pieces of the cake together with frosting or icing. You can do all kinds of animals, stuff like space ships from star wars etc.

Otherwise, if your son is not really into themes and just wants a cake with candles he can blow out, I suggest the carrot cake from Costco. You can get a large rectangular cake for something like $25, it will easily feed 3 dozen, and they have various themes you can choose for decorating the cake. Just give them a weeks notice. If you want something other than a carrot cake, they can do all kinds of chocolate, white cakes etc
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote