Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2017, 06:59 AM   #81
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw that replay at least 20 times last night and it was not a high stick on Ovechkin it was a slash. He gave Crosby a good whack on his arm and just before their skates got caught and when their skates got intertwined his stick kind of awkwardly hit Crosby in the head on the follow through. It was their skates getting caught up that caused Crosby to change direction. Niskanen has his head up following the puck the entire time and IMO it's kind of natural reaction to have your stick up like that when a player is coming towards you at speed like that.

If anything the two hander by Ovechkin was the closest thing to a dirty play in the whole thing but he and Crosby were both hustling to the front of the net and I don't really think there was any intention to injure with the two hander. As Trotz said it was just a hockey play that had an unfortunate outcome.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 05-02-2017 at 07:02 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:03 AM   #82
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I saw that replay at least 20 times last night and it was not a high stick on Ovechkin it was a slash. He gave Crosby a good whack on his arm and just before their skates got caught and when their skates got intertwined his stick kind of awkwardly hit Crosby in the head on the follow through. It was their skates getting caught up that caused Crosby to change direction.

If anything the two hander by Ovechkin was the closest thing to a dirty play in the whole thing but he and Crosby were both hustling to the front of the net and I don't really think there was any intention to injure. As Trotz said it was just a hockey play that had an unfortunate outcome.
Of course the Capital's Coach will call it a hockey play, the other side of it... Penguins coach was clearly frustrated and refused to talk about it.

I sure hope that's not a hockey play.... however I doubt the NHL will hand out a suspension...
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:11 AM   #83
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Of course the Capital's Coach will call it a hockey play, the other side of it... Penguins coach was clearly frustrated and refused to talk about it.

I sure hope that's not a hockey play.... however I doubt the NHL will hand out a suspension...
Of course Sullivan was upset. His team lost the game and his best player to injury. The only reason we are still discussing the play today is because the victim was Crosby. If it happened to Matt Cullen we wouldn't even be talking about it today.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:15 AM   #84
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Of course Sullivan was upset. His team lost the game and his best player to injury. The only reason we are still discussing the play today is because the victim was Crosby. If it happened to Matt Cullen we wouldn't even be talking about it today.
Media would be discussing this if it was anyone hit with that type of intent in my opinion.

However, yes this will have more visibility as it was a dirty play that took out the best player in the game.

Player has a concussion history, these type of hits would help....
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:26 AM   #85
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Niskanen wasn't even looking at Crosby. Seems like an unfortunate accident.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:27 AM   #86
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

When the Pens tied it late, I thought 100% this series was over. The Caps would have been too rattled to do anything in OT and would go down 3 nothing in the series.

I think this could be the adversity the Caps needed to overcome to become a champion. We shall see.

Regarding Niskanen the best way to describe it is unfortunate incident. In Playoff hockey, almost anything goes in front of the net. So yes, Ovi's slash was "bad" but again, in playoffs you can molest players in front of the net a lot harder than regular season. What's unfortunate is that his slash turned Crosby around and tripped him up a little which led him to fall directly into Niskanen. To me it appeared Niskanen was committed to a clean check, but the falling Crosby meant he made contact with stick first. You would expect in a true cross check or a malicious cross check, Niskanen hands would be further apart.

You need to be in control of your stick and body on the ice, but since I don't deem it malicious, I would say no suspension.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:00 AM   #87
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

No suspension coming for Niskanen. Well no hearing. Can you suspend with no hearing?

Last edited by Weitz; 05-02-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:43 AM   #88
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

No hearing = no suspension

Makes sense, didn't look malicious or even purposeful
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:14 PM   #89
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Iffy call? Intent is not required.
It's a simple yes or no.
Did he crosscheck Crosby in the head? Yes
Did it result in injury? Yes
= 5 minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
You should stick to analyzing anthems.
Intent not required? You should learn the rules before you post. Intent is absolutely required for a major penalty. It says so right in the rule book. "Deliberate attempt to injure".

Also, no hearing and no suspension.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:06 PM   #90
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Intent not required? You should learn the rules before you post. Intent is absolutely required for a major penalty. It says so right in the rule book. "Deliberate attempt to injure".

Also, no hearing and no suspension.
Thats a match penalty.

Rule 59 – Cross-checking
59.3 Major Penalty - A major penalty, at the discretion of the Referee
based on the severity of the contact, shall be imposed on a player
who “cross checks” an opponent (see 59.5).
59.4 Match Penalty – The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match
penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately
injured his opponent by cross-checking.
59.5 Game Misconduct Penalty - When a major penalty is assessed for
cross-checking, an automatic game misconduct penalty shall be
imposed on the offending player.

I wouldn't quote the rule book unless you actually know it. Eldrick wasn't exactly right, but neither were you.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:21 PM   #91
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's surprising to me that this doesn't happen more in the playoffs.

Since the hockey rulebook no longer applies in April, players should be full 2 hand chopping and crosschecking at every single opportunity under the guise of "playing physical."

If crosschecking people that go to the front of the net isn't normalized, and even glorified, maybe this injury doesn't happen.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:55 PM   #92
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cherry says Niskanen meant to do it so.....he almost for sure didn't. I bet you see a hundred of those same hits on Rock'em Sock'em.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:22 PM   #93
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's probably little chance he can avoid hitting Crosby. But there's zero chance he didn't take advantage of that. The NHL pisses me off. Why don't they do something to better protect the stars? Gaudreau injury a perfect example.
But losing years of Sid's career and the NHL not giving enough of a #### about it is ridiculous. Think the NBA would do the same with Lebron? Or how about the NFL, with the way they've actually adapted the rules and protected their stars?

So yesterday's play isn't suspendable right now, and I get that. But had they done their job five years ago, it would be.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote