Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2017, 01:05 PM   #41
Brewmaster
Scoring Winger

Exp:

While I hate Kesler as much as anyone, I think all the outrage for the reffing last night is overblown. With 3 minutes left in a 3-1 meaningless game, it makes sense for the refs to give out game misconducts rather than 2 minute minors to try and calm things down. You also have to consider that there was multiple incidents happening on the ice at the same time during that sequence. Kesler deserved an extra penalty for throwing punches, but so did Engelland for coming in swinging.

The 10 minute misconduct and extra 2 on Ferland didn't make much sense but it's nothing to get overly upset about.
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brewmaster For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 01:11 PM   #42
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFlameDog View Post
Holzer didn't get third man in? He should have gotten the game for that...that was garbage.

On a side note the Ducks play by play team is atrocious. Who are they? Please don't tell me there is a former player on that crew.
Agreed on Holzer.

Kesler is such a punk.

But wow, Ferland is a beauty. Identifies Kesler being Kesler immediately, and inserts himself into the situation. Then proceeds to hulk smash the guy who blind side jumps him.

Honestly, I think I hate the ducks more than any team in the league right now. The combination of ex-canucks plus Perry drives me crazy.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 01:11 PM   #43
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
On a side note the Ducks play by play team is atrocious. Who are they? Please don't tell me there is a former player on that crew.
John Ahlers and former goalie Brian Hayward.

Hayward's face tells you all you need to know:

AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:23 PM   #44
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's no wonder more players used to run goalies.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:33 PM   #45
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Holzer didn't get third man in? He should have gotten the game for that...that was garbage.

Neither did Engelland.

The refs pretty much just tried to keep a team shorthanded so nothing else would get out of hand rather than throw the book at anyone.

It was an awesome game to watch! I kept ignoring the Oilers game that was on to watch the Anaheim/Calgary yard sale.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 01:42 PM   #46
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The fowler incident changed the complexion of a flames ducks series. Would've already been chippy but now that you've given the ducks guys a reason to hate you whereas you were just an annoying doormat before you'll get a bloodbath every game.

I don't enjoy that though. I see the players get frustrated and it gets me frustrated. Loubardias hated it last night too, could clearly hear it in his voice. Add in the lessened penalties but also the double standard that appears to exist where guys like Kessler are given the benefit and I'd rather skip that for Chicago.

Want to enjoy playoffs where skill guys can play and do their thing out there. Don't want to watch garbage every night.

Last edited by djsFlames; 04-05-2017 at 01:44 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:03 PM   #47
Cactus Jack
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kesler is such a coward. He΄s more than willing to fight non-fighters like Monahan and Frolik, but the second Ferland steps in he gets really quiet.

Holzer did exactly what Engelland did. It should have been the same penalty.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:19 PM   #48
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Neither did Engelland.
I don't think I said a word about Engelland did I?
Old 04-05-2017, 02:43 PM   #49
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Glad to see that people thought the reffing was atrocious. It was terrible and horribly unbalanced. I would really like to know if the Flames management complained to the league.

With garbage like this, the league has to do something about it so it doesn't escalate.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:50 PM   #50
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
Kesler is such a coward. He΄s more than willing to fight non-fighters like Monahan and Frolik, but the second Ferland steps in he gets really quiet.

Holzer did exactly what Engelland did. It should have been the same penalty.
Ya, it's almost as if the Ducks get to decide who fights who.

Holzer did exactly what Ferland should of done. Just come from out of nowhere swinging. If Kesler turtles, so be it. The Flames weren't trying to tie the game anyways.

We can call them all the names we want but the bottom line is that the Flames got outsmarted. After Fowler went down the Flames completely gave up on trying to tie the game and instead played the Ducks game on the Ducks terms. Same thing last week when the Kings game went sideways.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Yamoto For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 03:02 PM   #51
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kessler meet Derek Engelland's fist. I hate kessler with a passion so much I named my seaman rag Kessler.
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:03 PM   #52
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by locsofblu View Post
Kessler meet Derek Engelland's fist. I hate kessler with a passion so much I named my seaman rag Kessler.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:13 PM   #53
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its really funny, but somewhere along the way the Flames have suddenly gotten this reputation that they're a dirty team. Probably mainly because of MT and his incidents this year. but the over the top moaning by the ducks fans and Oiler fans and fans of other teams that the Flames are this team of barbarians is really kinda of funny and flattering.

I find it hilarious that a team like the Ducks that have Perry and Kesler for example can open their stinking traps at all and call any other team dirty.

Personally, I don't think that the Flames are dirty enough, clearly teams aren't afraid to hack and slash our better players and take liberties.

There's realistically only two ways to deal with it when your playing teams that are like the ducks.

1) You have a surefire deadly powerplay - Every time that a team takes a liberty and a penalty they're made to pay on the scoreboard.

2) You let players like Ferland and MT loose, you literally put no constraints on them. If they decide they want to knock Kesler over and ram a hockey stick through his chest like they're planting the flag on the beach of some faraway land, then as a coach you say go for it. If you tell Ferland to grab Bieksa or Kesler in the corner and start feeding it to them, then you say so be it.

If you bring out a bucket of acid and throw it in Gibson's face then that's the price of victory.

The big disappointment to me though is that the players like Brouwer and Bouma who should really be shift disturbers and a physical element aren't.

I really think that next year we need to explore the depths of Eastern European insane asylums to find a person with murderous rage, no control and the ability to skate.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:16 PM   #54
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sutter era / Iginla era Flames (which was the last version of this team that people will remember) had a reputation of being dirty with opposing fans. That was more for starting fights and taking things to the allies which was a fair reputation IMO. But opposing fans of those types of teams never see that as "tough", they see it as cheap goonery.

Lots of fans will still associate us with that, and will see MT and Ferland from two years ago as a simple continuation of the Flames playing dirty, even though it's a different type of dirty IMO, and just make the assumption that this has been a team of goons all along.............which is kind of hilarious.

TBH, I think it's funny, but at least if Oiler fans cry about it, you can look at their roster and other than Lucic, pretty tame clean team. But for Ducks fans to be up in arms about stuff shows just how ignorant they are to the types of things Perry, Kesler and Bieska get up too (actually, to be fair, Bieska doesn't really play dirty often, but he's very unlikable).
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 04:50 PM   #55
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
I think they got it right in the Bartkowski/Holzer fight, hit was clean and then Bartkowski jumped him. We deserve to be short handed there.

I don't think they really even got it wrong with the Kesler/Frolik scrum. Seemed like two players going at it, of course Kesler vs non-fighter, but Engelland was third guy in and deserved his penalties for sure.

The one they really got wrong was kicking Ferland out of the game. Holzer was third man in and should have gotten the extra penalties. He should have gotten an instigator/third man in penalty but likely didn't because of how badly he lost the fight. Giving Ferland 14 minutes there and Holzer 2 is a total joke.
You think that skating from across the ice with elbows at head height and attempting to deliver a blow is clean? Tkachuk was lucky that he ducked...in fact it reminded me a lot of Tkachuk's miss on Doughty.

How was bartkowski going after holzer any different than manson going after gio?
Old 04-05-2017, 04:51 PM   #56
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am pleased with their response and happy to kill instigator penalties in any circumstance.
The whining is powerfully strong here.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 05:06 PM   #57
Scary Eloranta
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is there a "ways I'd like to kill Kesler" thread here?
Scary Eloranta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scary Eloranta For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 05:08 PM   #58
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
You think that skating from across the ice with elbows at head height and attempting to deliver a blow is clean? Tkachuk was lucky that he ducked...in fact it reminded me a lot of Tkachuk's miss on Doughty.

How was bartkowski going after holzer any different than manson going after gio?
Yes the Holzer hit was clean. Tkachuk's hit on Doughty was also clean. The guy bailing before a hit is not The fault of the guy throwing the hit.

Manson did not deserve an instigator for the fight with Gio. Not even close.
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:10 PM   #59
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Kesler is an absolute punk, but an effective one to be sure. How does one throw him off his game, when his game is one of cheap shots, instigation and turtleing? Serious question.
The only thing I can think of, is to send a semi-useless Bouma or Brouwer to trade penalties with him, so you at least win the trade-off.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:34 PM   #60
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Kesler is an absolute punk, but an effective one to be sure. How does one throw him off his game, when his game is one of cheap shots, instigation and turtleing? Serious question.
The only thing I can think of, is to send a semi-useless Bouma or Brouwer to trade penalties with him, so you at least win the trade-off.
Whatever the Kings did to Kesler in that Vancouver series. The one where all the Kesler gifs come from. He was laughably inneffective in that series
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote