Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2017, 02:10 PM   #41
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
throw the new dvd's into a machine and put them through the projector. I don't care. Just let me sit in front of a big screen with my kids and some popcorn so they can truly get a sense of the original trilogy.
Are your kids really going to say "dad, that was nice, but the CGI really took me out of my immersion of the original 1977 film" after watching A New Hope in its current form? If they've never seen the movies, they won't even notice and it won't impact their impression of the movie.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2017, 02:29 PM   #42
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Harmy's Despecialized Edition are the versions you're looking for...

Recently watched his versions and they are spectacular. Still waiting on V2.5 of Jedi, but his current version is still top notch.

Go find them, that is all.

Spoiler!

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:38 PM   #43
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Are your kids really going to say "dad, that was nice, but the CGI really took me out of my immersion of the original 1977 film" after watching A New Hope in its current form? If they've never seen the movies, they won't even notice and it won't impact their impression of the movie.
I think the special editions are different and bad enough that they will take away.

Given how easily accessible the despecialized editions are, and how good they look, it is difficult for me to understand why any hardcore SW fan wouldn't watch those instead. It seems like watching the SEs is intentionally subjecting yourself to crap that you don't have to.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:47 PM   #44
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Anyone else here line up at the North Hill Theatre to watch the Special Editions 20 years ago?
Yup, I was there.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2017, 02:48 PM   #45
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I think the special editions are different and bad enough that they will take away.

Given how easily accessible the despecialized editions are, and how good they look, it is difficult for me to understand why any hardcore SW fan wouldn't watch those instead. It seems like watching the SEs is intentionally subjecting yourself to crap that you don't have to.
I think you're drastically overstating the impact of the added shots. Those who make the biggest noise about the changes are those who have seen the movies dozens of times. You're going to have trouble convincing me that some kids are going to notice those changes when the average movie going public didn't realize Tarkin was CGI in Rogue One unless they were told in advance.

Sure, grab the despecialized version if it's so easily found, but it's not like the 98% of the movie which isn't changed is unwatchable because 2% (is it even 2%?) was changed from a really old source.

I'll hand in my star wars nerd card I guess. I didn't have the VHS copies I owned anymore anyways. Only the DVD and Blu-ray versions and a couple dozen books. 🙁
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote