Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-10-2014, 08:58 PM   #61
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

I liked the finale. I understand if people felt it ended on too much of a happy note, but I didn't mind for a couple reasons.

1. The whole series up till that point had been so terribly unhappy. I even posted about that early on. It was nice to finally get a bit of balance.

2. There are plenty of places for it to go from here. This doesn't need to be the end, and it's not necessarily all wrapped up in a little bow. If the series is renewed, there will be lots to explore and of course, get bummed about.

3. The ending fit with the motive of the episode and the year in general. IE 'god' works in mysterious ways. It's quite obvious Kevin wished for his family back, and in turn he received a new type of family. You can even rewind it back from there and his comment about taking his family for granted just before the disappearance happened. It all fits. In fact, it's a bit like the story of Job.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:41 AM   #62
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
If the series is renewed, there will be lots to explore and of course, get bummed about.
Already renewed for Season 2 before Season 1 concluded.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/08/13/hb...the-leftovers/
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2015, 04:40 PM   #63
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

The end of True Detective got me thinking about the new season of The Leftovers. Season one aired about this time last year. I haven't seen anything more about season two or when it will air.

edit - google tells me it will begin airing Oct. 4th.

Quote:
On July 30th, HBO finally revealed the release date of a second season of Leftovers. Highly anticipated season 2 of The Leftovers is scheduled to premiere on Sunday, October 4, 2015. Along with the premiere date, the cable also revealed a rather detailed season 2 synopsis. Kevin Garvey (Justin Theroux) has retired from his post as chief of police of Mapleton and is moving his new family to Texas. With him is Nora Durst (Carrie Coon), who has discovered new purpose in caring for the baby she found on Kevin’s doorstep and welcomes leaving behind Mapleton and the incredible tragedy she suffered there.

Quote:
More than three years ago, 2% of the world's population inexplicably vanished. 140 million people, gone in an instant. No country, no state, no city was spared, except for one small town in eastern Texas. Population: 9261. Departures: Zero.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2015, 04:41 PM   #64
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a little leery of Season 2 for The Leftovers, simply because the source material was all used in Season 1. I will still check it out and see how it goes.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:02 AM   #65
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

A town in TEXAS was spared? God help us...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I'm a little leery of Season 2 for The Leftovers, simply because the source material was all used in Season 1. I will still check it out and see how it goes.
Do you think? I think this new twist adds a lot of possibilities. Obviously this town thinks they are all righteous, as even referenced in the commercial, but maybe it's something more sinister? Maybe someone there had something to DO with the disappearance?

Looks interesting to me.

Still many questions. Why did the people leave? What's behind it? Where did they go, perhaps they're not dead? Will it happen again?
Old 08-12-2015, 01:03 AM   #66
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Oh, I just realized, your probably talking about the novel. I guess the series has decided to build on it?
Old 08-12-2015, 09:29 AM   #67
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
A town in TEXAS was spared? God help us...

Do you think? I think this new twist adds a lot of possibilities. Obviously this town thinks they are all righteous, as even referenced in the commercial, but maybe it's something more sinister? Maybe someone there had something to DO with the disappearance?

Looks interesting to me.

Still many questions. Why did the people leave? What's behind it? Where did they go, perhaps they're not dead? Will it happen again?
I believe the showrunners and author have stated they will never go into details about the rapture itself, but more the impact on family/society.

Will be interesting to see if they can keep the show compelling while going down that avenue. Just like all things, after time I feel like people would move on, get back to normal. Eventually it becomes the stuff of history, and then legend, and then myth. I think that after even 5-10 years society would be back to 99.9% normal.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:25 PM   #68
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just in case you're feeling a little down and you're looking for a show to cheer you up, The Leftovers has returned this evening.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:02 AM   #69
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I'm not sure what I watched last night. Tons of different plot lines. The first half was an all new cast and locale. Weird things afoot. It looks like a different show with the same name.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #70
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, Miracle seems like a nice place. :|
Old 10-05-2015, 11:11 PM   #71
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Loved the premiere. Just finished it and was some great compelling tv. Look forward to how this season plays out.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:39 AM   #72
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

So is this recommended?
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:14 AM   #73
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd recommend the first season for sure. Too soon to say for on the second season.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:13 PM   #74
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

The S2 premiere was really bizarre, but it left a ton of unanswered questions that I'm anxious to see the answers to. Looking forward to S2E2!
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2015, 05:07 AM   #75
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Yeah bizarre is right, but it has for sure peeked my interest.

Spoiler!
Old 10-07-2015, 06:41 AM   #76
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

HBO execs hated the first season but liked the concept. They not the needed a hard boot.
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:36 PM   #77
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Wow. Why did they redo the intro? Gagggggg.

First episode would have bern good as a standalone, but it was a little too far out there and too far from existing canon to say I enjoyed it.

Episode two was decent. Familiar characters. Crazy ending. I'm on the fence this season so far though.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:01 PM   #78
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really enjoyed the first season. It was a brave, successful attempt at creating something new in TV. You don't get to watch shows with such displays of emotion, and this TV Series delivered. They completely went off formula when it comes to story making and I'm a lot disappointed that HBO execs are making them change it for season two. I loved the way the people who were hurt displayed their sadness, their anger, and even their attempts at happiness. I hope they don't steer too far from that this season.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:58 PM   #79
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of mysteries introduced or hinted at in this episode. It was nice to catch up with the familiar characters, for sure. I'm interested in where this season is going now, at least. After the first episode, I wasn't sure I would be.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:00 PM   #80
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

3 different premieres from 3 different POVs is a bit much. I suppose we'll get Meg's premiere next week.