Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-19-2014, 12:38 PM   #41
freakinsaprikin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman57 View Post
Each new episode becomes my then favorite of the season and ive already watched last nights episode twice. In the episode, I felt the writers really awarded the viewers who had trusted the show by providing us with the most answers yet and letting us in on a lot of character motivation, especially with the GR. Speaking of which, I am yet I'm not looking forward to see what they have in store for the towns people on Memorial Day but im pretty sure its going to be a heinous and deplorable act of terrorism against people who had a loved one vanish.
I'm thinking they've had body double's made of all the towns departed. The whole scene with Nora in New York partying was to introduce us to the ability to have the departed recreated.
freakinsaprikin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to freakinsaprikin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2014, 12:47 PM   #42
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakinsaprikin View Post
I'm thinking they've had body double's made of all the towns departed. The whole scene with Nora in New York partying was to introduce us to the ability to have the departed recreated.

Yes, likely the reason they stole the pictures as to have body doubles made.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:49 PM   #43
freakinsaprikin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I forgot about that, yah....its all starting to come together! I can't imagine the towns reaction to something like that would be super positive.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:12 PM   #44
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
i was assuming because of laying out the clothes that they were bringing in bodies that looked like the departed, but i totally hadn't put those pieces together! i think you guys are dead on.

i like the show, but it remains pretty disjointed. i kind of feel like they had too many plot lines going on. it seems as if all the drama is building related to the GR and you have huggy wayne and the son's arc just dangling there. i imagine they will play a role in the last 2 episodes, i just don't feel like that arc has been treated very well so far. additionally, the situation with the chiefs dad has felt like a bit of an add-on as well. obviously a show like this cant just resolve everything in season 1, but i feel like some of these parts are getting such little attention it will hurt in the long run.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:09 AM   #45
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

I'm confused by the white police shirts on the tree's what was that all about?
Old 08-22-2014, 09:14 AM   #46
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

i have no idea why they were on trees, but i was assuming the entire point was to show him realizing that he had been coming out to that spot pretty regularly for a while and had been leaving his shirts.

i am sure people have a better explanation of why teh shirts were on the trees and why they were left there, but i probably missed it. to me though, it was just about the bigger picture realization.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2014, 11:19 PM   #47
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Next week is the finale. Not sure what to expect, other than a lot of unanswered questions and a cliffhanger.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:33 PM   #48
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The finale is in two weeks. It's not on next week because of Labour Day.

I liked this week's episode. It filled in a lot of the gaps on people's backstories and they probably wouldn't have had the same impact if we didn't know what we know about the people already.

The wife joining the Guilty Remnant now makes a lot more sense. I was wondering if any pregnant women had their babies disappear, and they answered that for us too.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:56 PM   #49
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh. Thanks for letting me know about the delay / schedule.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:38 AM   #50
freakinsaprikin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Felt bad for the cop. Not sure he got a chance to finish.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:04 PM   #51
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Not up until this last episode did The Leftovers ever feel like Lost to me but while watching it on Sunday, I couldn't help be reminded of when Locke finally opened the hatch at the end of the show and without showing us what was inside it ended. Then as my anticipation throughout the week grew to see what was going to happen next episode, it was instead followed up with a back story of a far less interesting character.

Initially thats what i was afraid of however i ended up loving the episode as it gave me a ton of insight into all of the main characters, especially Lori. It was directed beautifully, allowing the characters to really tell the story, Scott Glen is just amazing in this show and i how they aged the daughter in combination with her performance, was just perfect. I hate that i have to wait two weeks before the finale but im stoked the show was picked up for a second season.
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:18 PM   #52
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They introduced that way earlier in the season than that. Twice it was referenced in fact.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:21 PM   #53
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

This show is bizarre and I love that about it. It's really improved from the first couple of episodes.

Not up there for best show on TV or anything, but I am really enjoying it.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:47 PM   #54
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been very impressed with Ann Dowd. I think her performances have been the best of any of the cast. Not surprised given her disturbing scenes in True Detective.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:54 PM   #55
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone else checked out the book this show was based on? I went through it this week, it's a pretty easy read. The characters in the book are largely those we find in the show, with some being fleshed out more on the show and some changed from the book. We lose the first person narrative in the show of course. I think the show is different enough that the book doesn't hold any secrets for the season finale or future plots. The first third of the book is more or less the pilot.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:24 AM   #56
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

My wife is reading it. She says the same thing - it's different enough from the show that she's not concerned about spoilers.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:36 PM   #57
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is some nice mystery added on top of the mystery. Like a cake, cakes have layers. Why is the Sheriffs family Kevin Garvey so blessed/cursed and how is that VM message going to play out? I love the transition in the last episode from apex event and happy normal people to what we've been seeing. Evey time the daughter smiled I giggled from the braces. It was a bit too perfect (minus the Garvey Parents) but it did get the point across. I look forward to the finale.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:09 PM   #58
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!
Old 09-08-2014, 09:30 AM   #59
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

My random thoughts on the Finale and the entire season:
- This show is very good, and has the makings to be great. One of the few shows I often think about after it airs for awhile. The cast and writing do an excellent job to bring alive the world of Mapleton and the family.
- I hate how often the piano is used in emotional scenes. It can be very powerful, but has been overdone (This was a problem on Lost, as well) Let some of the punch of the scenes speak for themselves, rather then cue up the "feeling" music.
-The cello cover of "Nothing else Matters" was amazing.

-Was a surprisingly upbeat ending for a show that is pretty dark. I thought the voiceover was Nora's suicide note. When I saw her with the baby and Kevin and his daughter, you could feel the hope

-Finally, will be interesting to see how HBO handles no more source material of the books...and could be a good test run for Game of Thrones once they run out of books.

Good season with tons of potential. 7/10
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2014, 03:21 AM   #60
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp: